late tourney "blow up" problem

Lately I've been consistently finishing in the top 5-15% of the tourneys I play, but seem to have a problem managing myself in the last few tables. The latest "blow-up' happened earlier today in a 1400+ player tourney on a major internet poker room.I am in about 13th place, with 65,000 chips in the small blind. There are 18 players left in the tournament. The blinds are 6000-12000. I have KQ suited in the SB. After everyone folds to me, I go all-in to try and pick up the BB. The BB (who has me covered stack-wise) calls my bet with a pair of nines. And I get busted out of the tourney.The above scenario has happened to me on several occasions. Am I making a dumb amateurish move? Or am I just getting unlucky? Had I won todays coin-flip, I would have virtually assured my place at the final table. Instead, I busted out 18th.Please help? I am very serious about my game, and would like to be the best possible player I can be. Somehow managing my aggression is the most difficult aspect of the game to master. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!THANKS!Dig

Yes thats just foolish...if you want to take the blinds, then just make a solid raise...Even if the flop doesn't hit you, you can still "outplay" your opponent and possibly when right there...don't put all your money in with a marginal hand so quickly.

In this situation, there's nothing else you can do. You have 6.5BBs left, which is very shortstacked. You made the right decision, got your money in as a coinflip, and got a bit unlucky. I have a similar problem, but this isn't a blowup. A blowup is calling a reraise with KJ, then pushing into a rags flop, to get called by aces. Just play slow and don't play a huge pot with bad cards and you won't have any more blowups.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that move. You have a way above average hand compared to a random hand, your M is 3, major red zone. It's the only reasonable play. Just bad luck you didn't win your race or that the guy had a callable hand in the 1st place.Good play! Try getting more lucky :club:

In this situation, there's nothing else you can do.  You have 6.5BBs left, which is very shortstacked.  You made the right decision, got your money in as a coinflip, and got a bit unlucky.  I have a similar problem, but this isn't a blowup.  A blowup is calling a reraise with KJ, then pushing into a rags flop, to get called by aces.  Just play slow and don't play a huge pot with bad cards and you won't have any more blowups.
Agreed...Did not look at your chip status, just skimmed through it.
OP: Your play was as standard as it gets.  Don't play results.  You have to win coin tosses to win mtts.
Raising any less doesnt work. You raise a little bit, say, 30K? What's the point if you will call anything? Might as well raise all in and make them call with a hand like A7 or middle pair. Raise less if you have a monster and you think your opponent won't call an all in for sure. other than that this is a push.edit: i dont know why i quoted hoosier...i agree with his statement though.

There is not much you can do in this situation. If you even double the blinds (which I dont think is a good move) you have aready committed over 1/3 of your stack so you have to push against a random hand in this situation. Keep making that move--you have to win the coin flip eventually.

if you know he has you covered and your an underdog to even ace high why is gods name would you move in, 5 BB would do it cuz if he has a hand he will call 5bb and if not you get the blind very bad play
Did you even bother to read the OP?
remember post flop play is not a bad thing the flop is your friend
Yes the flop is your friend, but he's got 6.5 BB? What kind of post flop play is there with your stack goign to the flop equivalent to 1/2 the pot?Yes, I most all in here all day with almost anything painted to be honest.