anybody watching the wings game?

Looks like Jiri Fischer was struck in the throat by a puck, docs were performing CPR on the bench. Not sure what else is going on, they're still working on him...Scary stuff...*Edit* The report is that he's breathing on his own now, the ambulance was waived away which the announcers are viewing as a good sign.

I was just about to post something about this. I didnt see anything, but I got a call from a family member who was watching it. From what I hear it was a very scary situation.

I have insider information that Fischer has had a heart condition for many years. I know one of the Red Wings team doctors, and thats where I'm hearing this. I can't confirm if that is related to tonights incident, but it's just some information to dispute a puck to the neck.

Well, I can confirm the heart condition, as the commentators on FSN detroit just stated this. They showed a clip, from a Birds-Eye view of where Fischer was on the bench ( he had been for 1 minute and 5 seconds, after the Preds scored the goal when he was on the ice), and one of the Wings' D and Preds' Forward rode each other into the boards infront of the Wings' bench, and it looks like a stick came up and over the boards towards the players on the bench. Loooks like it was unintentional. Also, Fisch was taken to the hospital. They are waiting for word as to see if they will continue the game or not.

I think it's best if they don't continue. This was a very traumatic experience for the players, and it wouldnt be right to keep playing until they know that their friend is completely in the clear.

Are you watching the game on FSN? I have the satellite package, and am... they are handling this very poorly in my opinion. They did the annoucnement about the seizure and that Fisch is stable, and they go to the Detroit Sports Report and talk about ****ing college football.

Yeah, they keep cutting in and out of the coverage, like anyone cares about the AHL affiliate or Wolverines football right now. Officlally a seizure on the bench, he's in stable condition and doing well. The FSN team kept saying over and over that they don't have a camera angle on what happened...blah blah blah, then as soon as there's officially no liability to any other player, they miraculously come up with some better angles.

Are you watching the game on FSN?  I have the satellite package, and am... they are handling this very poorly in my opinion. They did the annoucnement about the seizure and that Fisch is stable, and they go to the Detroit Sports Report and talk about censored college football.
I'm listening to Ken Cal. I'm not in Detroit and I dont have a satellite package. I wasnt listening at the time, but my uncle called and told me to turn it on, bc Fischer had been seriously injured.

My roommate had the game going the entire time during and after the incident, so I was able to rewind on the Tivo and see the immediate scene. Scariest thing I've seen during a hockey game since the Malarchuk incident, seeing those docs *obviously* performing CPR on a player. Scarier...even.

I have insider information that Fischer has had a heart condition for many years.  I know one of the Red Wings team doctors, and thats where I'm hearing this.  I can't confirm if that is related to tonights incident, but it's just some information to dispute a puck to the neck.
Fischer's heart problems are common knowledge.
I have insider information that Fischer has had a heart condition for many years.  I know one of the Red Wings team doctors, and thats where I'm hearing this.  I can't confirm if that is related to tonights incident, but it's just some information to dispute a puck to the neck.
Fischer's heart problems are common knowledge.
Does it really matter at this point?

Sounds like he is in stable condition, breathing on his own. That was one of the scariest things I have ever seen. Good idea to cancel the game, even though I was surprised that they did. I can't remember any other major sports cancelling the game after an injury/medical problem.

Actually, it's happened a few times before.... the last one I remember was when the umpire had a massive heart attack and died at home plate on opening day a couple of years ago. And the decision to stop the game was made at NHL head office...

Sounds like he is in stable condition, breathing on his own. That was one of the scariest things I have ever seen. Good idea to cancel the game, even though I was surprised that they did. I can't remember any other major sports cancelling the game after an injury/medical problem.

I'm kind of surprised they stopped the game for a seizure, especially if he's known to get them.My buddy used to get them all the time, big ones, and we'd just let him shake for a few minutes and then check him and roll him into bed, or put a pillow under him if we couldn't move him. If he was in public or at school we'd have to call an ambulance, but that was only because we didn't really have any place to put him.If they knew he was going to be fine, or at least they were as sure as they ever are after a seizure, I think cancelling the game is a little overkill.

Yeah, but when your buddy had seizures his heart didn't stop on the bench requiring immediate CPR and a zap from the defibrulator to save his life...No one could have expected the players to have their heads in the game after seeing something like that happen in front of them, postponing the game was the right thing to do.

I'm kind of surprised they stopped the game for a seizure, especially if he's known to get them.My buddy used to get them all the time, big ones, and we'd just let him shake for a few minutes and then check him and roll him into bed, or put a pillow under him if we couldn't move him. If he was in public or at school we'd have to call an ambulance, but that was only because we didn't really have any place to put him.If they knew he was going to be fine, or at least they were as sure as they ever are after a seizure, I think cancelling the game is a little overkill.
They had to use the defribrillators on him and perform CPR. That probably means that his heart stopped. There's more going on here than they're letting us know. This was much more dire than a simple seizure. I'm not a doctor, but I do believe that his heart abnormalities could have complicated the situation.

Yeah, there is something up. I don't even think it was a seizure... and if it was, that's not all that went on. Something else bad happenned. There is a lot of doubt about the seizure thing. Thankfully though, all signs point to a good recovery.