espn article about pollack and future of wsop

ever heard of inflation? the main event has been 10k for over 30 years. it was supposed to be a "huge" buy in game. now it's a joke. can you name anything that hasn't gone up in price for 30 years? based on the original idea, the buy in should be 50k+.

just like they said there would be a black pope.....or every democrat getting excited about Hillary Clinton becoming the next president. Let's be honest with ourselves...IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. can you say PR move? there is only ONE important factor, THE BOTTOM LINE.

ever heard of inflation? the main event has been 10k for over 30 years. it was supposed to be a "huge" buy in game. now it's a joke. can you name anything that hasn't gone up in price for 30 years? based on the original idea, the buy in should be 50k+.
Understood.........Id be perfectly satisfied with 25k-50k buy in6 or 7 figures is just ridiculous.
You can get a hooker in vegas for 5 bucks. Just like you could 30 years ago.

I am all for raising the buy-in for the main event. Do you really think that having 20,000 of the "common men" would be good for the main event? I want to see the best in the world play for the championship of the world. You'll still be able to super-duper-satellite in to the event for $100. It will just be A LOT more difficult.

The 6-figure buy-in event was not the main event. He was talking about adding an event like that because a lot of players have an "appetite" for that kind of game. The sheer number of low buy-in hold 'em events shows that he's not about to lose the common player, but the fact that he is also adding these other events shows he is interested in the professional players as well. Could be strictly PR move, but it sounds promising to me.

I am all for raising the buy-in for the main event. Do you really think that having 20,000 of the "common men" would be good for the main event? I want to see the best in the world play for the championship of the world. You'll still be able to super-duper-satellite in to the event for $100. It will just be A LOT more difficult.
thanks! :roll:
The 6-figure buy-in event was not the main event. He was talking about adding an event like that because a lot of players have an "appetite" for that kind of game. The sheer number of low buy-in hold 'em events shows that he's not about to lose the common player, but the fact that he is also adding these other events shows he is interested in the professional players as well. Could be strictly PR move, but it sounds promising to me.
Then technically the main event would not be the main event. It would get the backseat of the Attention bus do to the potential popularity of this 6 figure event. Thus, the main event, and the main main event.I think its a PR move as well. Especially after releasing the projected schedule for 2006 which was a joke.
it would be nice.
a lot of the common players are playing in the smaller events because they can sit with a pro for cheap and play against the best in the world. If there are two tiers of buy-ins going on at the same time, i highly doubt there will be a bunch of pple excited to buy in for the 1500 nl tourney when all the pros are in the 20k nl tourney. it will destroy it from the bottom up. its simply amazing to me that pros can be upset about all of the added dead money to tournaments...so it's harder to win, big deal. it's also a much bigger accomplishment to win it now. I don't mind the idea of 1 bigger tournament but if it snowballs to all of the tournaments having bigger buyins then the common player will not come out in masses anymore, and the pros can play against themselves, make it easier to win because of the small fields yet harder because of stiff competition the whole time. i think many of the pros should be careful what they wish for...the common masses of pple are the ones keeping them employed

No matter how expensive you make the main event or any other part of the WSOP, the online sites will still hold their tournaments online and will send thousands of players to compete.Michael

What a terrific idea! Lets make a 6-figure buy-in so the common man cannot afford to play!They will still have satellites to qualify for the ME, so there will be plenty of common men, just not 5000 of them.

Then technically the main event would not be the main event. It would get the backseat of the Attention bus do to the potential popularity of this 6 figure event. Thus, the main event, and the main main event.I think its a PR move as well. Especially after releasing the projected schedule for 2006 which was a joke.
I'm not sure about that, just look at all the Moneymaker fans out there. A lot of people love the Main Event because it combines "anyman" possibilities with a lottery-like payout. The big boy event would get one-hour airtime on ESPN and the Main Event would still get 10+ hours.

it's also a much bigger accomplishment to win it now. The more people you have, the greater the chance that a less-skilled player will win. Unless the blinds progress so slowly as to make it a 25 day tournament. Nobody would want that, though.The best format would be 300 or so pros, 15 rich guys and about 500 common men who've qualified through the satellite structure.

The following was taken from the ESPN article mentioned by the OP.The idea of a higher buy-in tier -- does that mean raising the entry of the main event from $10,000 or creating something new and different and more astronomical? "Today, the main event will continue to be the $10,000 No Limit Texas Hold'em event,'' Pollack says. "Will that change at some point? I don't know yet. "What I've heard, from many of the players I've met with, is there is potentially interest in having a new tier of play that may be a little more exclusive for those that have the appetite for that type of play, and that's something we're going to take a look at.'' People....read the article before you start flaming the guy.I think it is a fantastic idea to add a 6 or 7 figure event for the pros. You still have the main event which is the 10K buy in...especially considering there maybe upwards of 8,000 people entering....but how great will it be to see some real poker being played instead of that donkfest that was the W.S.O.P. this year. This will be like the relationship in baseball that the All-Star Game has to the World Series.....except the 6 figure NLH buy in actually might attract some ratings.

This will be like the relationship in baseball that the All-Star Game has to the World Series.....except the 6 figure NLH buy in actually might attract some ratings.Very bad analogy. Every major league baseball team is filled with people who represent the elite of their sport. Plus, the World Series champion is determined by a process which lasts over 200 days, not 5 days or 1 day (like the All-Star game). The All-Star game is a single exhibition game where not all-the players are necessarily trying their best because there isn't very much at stake. The poker equivalent would be like inviting 9 pros to play for 100 000 winner take all with fast blind structures.The equivalent the World Series of baseball in poker would be something like this:Have a series of 25k buy in tournaments spread over 10 months (say 15 or so). Award points based on finish to final table participants. Choose the 27 top point scorers and have them play a deep-stack, slow blind H.O.R.S.E tournament over 5 days, with the final six playing NLHE (for TV purposes).

You can get a hooker in vegas for 5 bucks. Just like you could 30 years ago.
i wish i could get ur avatar for 5 bucks.

Nothing is changing about the main event. It will be the same as it has been for the past couple years. They are simply thinking of adding an event so the pros can compete amongst themselves. This is simply going to be one event out of 50 and will not take the place of the main event.

I d0n't think there should be a WSOP Italy or WSOP Australia. However, it probablly would be smart to add Circuit Events around the globe. Las Vegas should definately be the center of the WSOP though, simply because it's the gambling capital of the world. I like the idea of a 25k buyin, but 100k is way too big. While they should have alot more other games (stud, omaha, triple draw, mixed games, etc) I think one event of no limit hold'em should determine the World Champion. A great player won't win it every year, but that keeps the "American Dream" open.