full tilt: chatting with the pros

Ok, whenever I'm on FullTilt and happen to notice a pro sitting, I will stop and watch him/her for a little while. I think its a great feature that you can talk to the pros and many times they talk back. What I dislike, as most players with a decent bank roll on there must, is that anybody with 3 cents on their account can talk to the pros. Many times, it is impossible to actually saying anything to a pro because the 12 year old railbirds are typing messages so fast that your message is instantly gone. Does any agree that there should be a minimum account balance to talk on these tables...maybe something around 200 dollars or more. I understand that it is free to anyone that has money on there to talk to the pros and that this benefit is percieved as drawing more people to the site, but letting hundreds on micro level players clog the chat box is totally pointless. I think by putting a minimum account balance on these tables for observers, the site will actually promote more playing and less talking. The players who earn the chance to talk to the pros through building their bank roll, will be rewarded with the chance to actually have some of the questions seen, while the pointless terrible players who deposit just to talk to the pros and never play, will not have the privledge. I mean it doesnt really make sense to draw people to the site with the "allure" of talking to the pros, if you let them talk to the pros without every using the money they deposited anyway.

Ok, whenever I'm on FullTilt and happen to notice a pro sitting, I will stop and watch him/her for a little while. I think its a great feature that you can talk to the pros and many times they talk back. What I dislike, as most players with a decent bank roll on there must, is that anybody with 3 cents on their account can talk to the pros. Many times, it is impossible to actually saying anything to a pro because the 12 year old railbirds are typing messages so fast that your message is instantly gone. Does any agree that there should be a minimum account balance to talk on these tables...maybe something around 200 dollars or more. I understand that it is free to anyone that has money on there to talk to the pros and that this benefit is percieved as drawing more people to the site, but letting hundreds on micro level players clog the chat box is totally pointless. I think by putting a minimum account balance on these tables for observers, the site will actually promote more playing and less talking. The players who earn the chance to talk to the pros through building their bank roll, will be rewarded with the chance to actually have some of the questions seen, while the pointless terrible players who deposit just to talk to the pros and never play, will not have the privledge. I mean it doesnt really make sense to draw people to the site with the "allure" of talking to the pros, if you let them talk to the pros without every using the money they deposited anyway.
Good opinion, I also agree, but I doubt it will happen...Maybe you could contact ft?

the problem is the main draw to the site is that you can chat with the pros even if you have .03 in your account. They should offer chat sessions as a prize for some sort of contest.Chat with Phil, Jesus, Jen and .......... with only 5-10 people.that would be a good idea, in my opinion

i actually think thats a good idea.  i see so many retards say things that should just not be allowed...usually people with low bankrolls with no knowledge of poker.
Exactly, I honestly feel embarrassed to type something to one of the pro's because I feel they will think of me as being just another 12 year old railbird trying to bother them and not a serious player that is curious of their opinion on a subject.
I find it hard to believe that you are serious.
why not, it's true, and he wants to better his game by asking the ones who can seriously help...
Maybe the guy with $100 in his account wants to do the same...Anyway, do people seriously ask the pros for advice while they're playing and actually expect them to answer?
I find it hard to believe that you are serious.
why not, it's true, and he wants to better his game by asking the ones who can seriously help...
Maybe the guy with $100 in his account wants to do the same...Anyway, do people seriously ask the pros for advice while they're playing and actually expect them to answer?
For sure, I've asked David Grey a lot of questions about the suttle differences between no limit and limit hold em and he is very informative about his thoughts on it. He is definitely the most accomadating pro I've spoken to on the site, Paul Wolfe is a close second.

So if you own full tilt you are going to advertise - "Come chat with the pros if you have $200 in your account!" Great idea. I'm sure they would love it. What a great way to strike up more business.They advertise to come chat with the pros so that they can get as much business as possible - big and small. They could care less about talking to you.

If Full Tilt took it upon themselves to start banning the chat of the railbirds who deserve to have their chat banned, i.e. the fools belittling people like MM, then this stuff would be reduced fairly quickly. Regardless of your FT account size, some of the comments made are derogatory at best, and banning their chat would send a clear message that this stuff won't be tolerated. It would also free up the chat box for those who have legitimate questions. On that note, the chat box needs to be enlarged so a chat doesn't disappear in 2 seconds.I also believe the pro's should be required to check the FT forum occasionally and respond to posts that are addressed to them. They have an "Ask the pros" section that rarely, if ever, gets responded to by the pros themselves.

If Full Tilt took it upon themselves to start banning the chat of the railbirds who deserve to have their chat banned, i.e. the fools belittling people like MM, then this stuff would be reduced fairly quickly.  Regardless of your FT account size, some of the comments made are derogatory at best, and banning their chat would send a clear message that this stuff won't be tolerated.  It would also free up the chat box for those who have legitimate questions.  On that note, the chat box needs to be enlarged so a chat doesn't disappear in 2 seconds.I also believe the pro's should be required to check the FT forum occasionally and respond to posts that are addressed to them.  They have an "Ask the pros" section that rarely, if ever, gets responded to by the pros themselves.
All great ideas. That actually may be a better idea, just ban the people who make derogatory remarks. This would eliminate a lot of the stupid questions also because these a-ssholes are usually the ones who are asking them.
So if you own full tilt you are going to advertise - "Come chat with the pros if you have $200 in your account!"  Great idea.  I'm sure they would love it.  What a great way to strike up more business.They advertise to come chat with the pros so that they can get as much business as possible - big and small.  The could care less about talking to you.
No, you don't advertise it. I can't count how many things in online poker that get advertised without giving every detail. Look at deposit bonuses, they say you get x% of the money you deposit, but they don't come right out and say it's released in $20 increments like it is on FTP, or however UB releases their bonuses. They could still say come chat with the pros on the commercials, because technically, you can as long as you have a certain amount in your account.
So if you own full tilt you are going to advertise - "Come chat with the pros if you have $200 in your account!"  Great idea.  I'm sure they would love it.  What a great way to strike up more business.They advertise to come chat with the pros so that they can get as much business as possible - big and small.  The could care less about talking to you.
No, you don't advertise it. I can't count how many things in online poker that get advertised without giving every detail. Look at deposit bonuses, they say you get x% of the money you deposit, but they don't come right out and say it's released in $20 increments like it is on FTP, or however UB releases their bonuses. They could still say come chat with the pros on the commercials, because technically, you can as long as you have a certain amount in your account.
EXACTLY!!!
You obviously missed the point of my post. So let me say it clearer.They do not run the site so that you can talk to them. They run it to make money. Advertising for you to come talk to them is just a way to bring more players in which means more money for them. If they knew they could make the same amount of money without offering the chat I doubt they would even bother.
You obviously missed the point of my post. So let me say it clearer.They do not run the site so that you can talk to them. They run it to make money. Advertising for you to come talk to them is just a way to bring more players in which means more money for them. If they knew they could make the same amount of money without offering the chat I doubt they would even bother.
Maybe you missed the point pal. Noone is saying they are doing it to be nice and not to make money. All we are saying is that you wouldn't need to advertise that people need a certain amount of money to chat with the pro's. 12 year old railbirds would deposit money they never planned on using anway and find they need more than they can afford. There leaving would not lose money for the site because half these railbirds never play.

I disagree. For the most part they are catering to the people you are complaining about. The only restriction on chatting with the pros that would make sense would be that the person wouild have had to have made at least some sort of deposit i.e. you have not people that just download the software and start chatting. Otherwise you are just penalzing a large percentage of your customer base just because they do not play at a high enough level.I do like the idea about chat sessions as a prize thought.

I don't mind the fact that everyone can talk to them. What I do mind is some of the comments that a lot of stupid poeple on that site make. It seems like everytime I log on to watch one of the pros play, there's a bunch of people who are throwing arounds stupid and/or insulting comments. The private chat prize thing would be a neat idea.

I don't mind the fact that everyone can talk to them.  What I do mind is some of the comments that a lot of stupid poeple on that site make.  It seems like everytime I log on to watch one of the pros play, there's a bunch of people who are throwing arounds stupid and/or insulting comments.  The private chat prize thing would be a neat idea.
Yeah there is a neverending run of Matusow jokes whereever you look.

The min balance idea is a terrible idea. If you start with $200 where does it end? Plus, regardless of what you believe, other people are important too. I know it may be hard to look past the all important you and your needs. The players that have the lower amounts of money need the pro's advice as much if not more than you do. Atleast you have obvioulsy found other resources for sharpening your game (such as this forum).I agree that the vast majority of people talking on there are childish at best. Most the time they are very annoying and rude. FTP has people who's jobs are to watch player chat and make sure that either: a) they are not working together B) they aren't doing any sort of illegal money laundering c) they aren't be rude or obscene to other players or observersIf those people would be contacted and told to view what was being said, maybe something could be done. I personally know of some one that was on FTP one night (while drunk) and was making fun of a pro. He had not only his ability to chat in pro rooms revoked, but all of his chatting privelages revoked for 3 months. If the pros actually cared, they could have a lot of those annoying people's chat banned.My main point is, the $200 idea is terrible. Absolutely terrible. There are other ways to solve this problem, but the fact is that FTP doesn't care that much. Try making a petition or doing mass numbers of e-mails.

I definitely agree with the OP. This is a good idea. I doubt it's tenable, but that doesn't diminish its merit.As an idea, maybe FT could feature one table a night with a pro that has a moderated discussion situation. This would be a table where pros could pop in and out and have people send them questions or comments that would be filtered through a moderator. That way, only things with some broader interest or actual insight would make it through.I doubt it would cost the site very much money at all to hire a part-time chat moderator who would do this 3-5 days a week at night. It would allow them to host this moderated table with different pros (maybe even announcing a schedule beforehand for interested parties), as well as at different limits, games, etc..Just a thought. I know I'd tune in for something like the chance to watch Layne Flack or Allen Cunningham play and answer questions about NLH, or ask Howard Lederer some Razz questions, etc..

The min balance idea is a terrible idea.  If you start with $200 where does it end?  Plus, regardless of what you believe, other people are important too.  I know it may be hard to look past the all important you and your needs.  The players that have the lower amounts of money need the pro's advice as much if not more than you do.  Atleast you have obvioulsy found other resources for sharpening your game (such as this forum).I agree that the vast majority of people talking on there are childish at best.  Most the time they are very annoying and rude.  FTP has people who's jobs are to watch player chat and make sure that either: a) they are not working together B) they aren't doing any sort of illegal money laundering c) they aren't be rude or obscene to other players or observersIf those people would be contacted and told to view what was being said, maybe something could be done.  I personally know of some one that was on FTP one night (while drunk) and was making fun of a pro.  He had not only his ability to chat in pro rooms revoked, but all of his chatting privelages revoked for 3 months.  If the pros actually cared, they could have a lot of those annoying people's chat banned.My main point is, the $200 idea is terrible.  Absolutely terrible.  There are other ways to solve this problem, but the fact is that FTP doesn't care that much.  Try making a petition or doing mass numbers of e-mails.
I respect your opinion on my idea but you didn't need to make it look like I'm trying to be all self important. I simply want there to be a way to cut out the nonsense. I would love any other ideas. I do not believe my idea is absolutely the best, so I wanna hear some other ideas.