good time for a squeeze play?

First of all, I may have used the term "squeeze play" wrong, can it pertain to play post-flop? or is it just used for pre-flop play?Mid-way through a $5 MTT on UB. Blinds are 100/200, the avg stack is around 4500 and I have 9000. I'm in the CO seat. 4 limpers in front of me, I have Ac 8c. I limp as well, and it is checked through. Flop comes 8s 9c Jc, and UTG bet 850 into the 1400 pot. action is fold, fold, call, and back to me. I consider two options...calling or raising to push them out. I'm getting about 3.5:1 on the call, but I think the 2 8's and the 3 A's are also might be outs. What do you think the play is?

Well, what's your image? What kind of opponents are you playing against? And, what are their stack sizes?Properly applied, a squeeze play means that you think the original raiser has junk and the caller has marginal cards. When you raise, the original raiser can't call because they have to worry about the first caller, and the first caller only called because he wanted to go against the loose raiser...so he can't call your re-raise.It is more commonly applied to pre-flop, but I guess it could be applied post-flop also. The problem with this particular flop is that it very easily could've hit one or both of your opponents pretty hard. It's super draw heavy. I'm probably just calling here unless UTG has shown the ability to bet/fold on the same street.

I'm calling here.Unless UTG is extremly loose and takes alot of stabs at pots or is extremely weak/tight. Otherwise UTG will probably call the raise or possibly go all-in. With all the limping pre-flop and a low coordinated board, there is a strong possibility that someone hit the flop hard. Why re-open the betting when you are probably behind?If you catch on the turn/river, he'll probably still bet out and it's a perfect opportunity to use your position against him.

I would just call here. The squeeze play is a VERY bad idea in online tournaments with a low buy-in... The players are just too loose. One of the other guys is gonna call, and trying a squeeze play in this situation would just be an unnecessary risk. Calling will let you try to make your flush for a much cheaper price. Re-raising isn't a bad play because of all the outs you have, but you would be putting a lot of chips at risk with just a draw, which is an unnecessary risk when there is such a big chance that you're going to get a call.

Thanks for the replys. I ended up calling, and then folding to his all-in on the turn when a red king came. It turns out UTG had KJ....not sure if he would've folded to a raise on the flop, don't know how good of a player he is. My guess is he would've called, but I'll never know if I would've hit one of my 14 outs on the river.

Hi there Kramer. Squeeze play is no good here, especially in 5 dollar tourneys where people cannot fold. You can try this at the final table though, IMO b/c I have seen it work there (prize distribution is top heavy and thus people would fold more). Also since you have a nice big stack, you want to avoid these situations; play pots where you know you can push little stacks around and play laid back poker. You should also include UTG's stack!

I think a call is the best play here. You have position to play it from there on out, and you definitely have odds to call. Don't try advanced plays in low limit tourneys as a general rule, because so many players will call you down with 2nd pair or something here.