fast short handed nl stars 2-4 blind table

So I am playing 2-4 Blind NL Cash, bought in a modest 200 of the 400 max. I am catching good cards, mostly were sitting 4 handed, occasionally 5. A buddy of mine sits down and I flop two monsters on him, he partially pays on both. But overall I was playing fast, winning many pots without showdown and catching a card or two when it was convenient. I had just hit a high water mark of about 1100 (things were going really well) when this hand comes up as the table is starting to fill up.UTG limps (he has 650, 2nd biggest stack and fairly conservative - other players recently joined table so no reads), Middle Pos. raises to $8, 2 callers, I call from the small blind with 88 and the big blind calls. UTG then raises to $40 and I think one of two things:A) He has AA or KK and was hoping for a chance to make a big raise.B) He is tired of having to call raises (mostly mine) and figures there isn't much strength but there's about 40 or 50 bucks ripe to be stolen.Agree or disagree with that assessment?Folds around to me. I am leaning towards A, but I have been catching a lot of cards and $40 itself was not a huge call out of 1100 when I looked at potentially taking the 2nd stack on the table = )I call. We're head's up.FLOP Q J 8 (two clubs - I do have the 8 of clubs)I check, he bets, I raise to 150 total he pops back to 350 total - hmmm, now what??? he has $300 left, action to me...

tough one, the hands that you're worried about are QQ, JJ, or perhaps a super strong draw like AK clubs. With his limp-reraise move, I doubt he makes that move with AK, or with JJ. Maaaaybe with QQ, but even that's a little wierd. I'd want to call, but would be a tough call. but then again, what the hell do I know....

1 thing you gotta ask yourself is are you gonna lay down a set? I just can't, I gotta push. I couldn't see JJ here with the limp reraise, definetely AA KK OR QQ though. Without a doubt you gotta push. If he has the 1 hand that beats you he just has it ..

1 thing you gotta ask yourself is are you gonna lay down a set? I just can't, I gotta push. I couldn't see JJ here with the limp reraise, definetely AA KK OR QQ though. Without a doubt you gotta push. If he has the 1 hand that beats you he just has it ..
There are other hands that beat him, for instance 9-10 but that would of course assume he did his whole limp reraise with 9-10 which would be absolutely moronic.

I think he probably is on AKcl, KcKx or maybe AQ with Acl, Figure if he is sitting on a set wont want to be outdrawn on so he cannot take the chance of you checking behind you on such a draw heavy board, he would have made some play at the pot. I really dont think he may even have AA or KK because of this. I would go with AcKc or AcQ.

i wouldn't assume that he had it form the way he's played the hand.but why would he be getting so involved? the only question is whether or not he is a particularily good player.most players are gonna get very active with aces in that situation...which is what i think he has, i think hes lost his mind with a pair of aces.are you gonna say what happened?

My gut feeling is that he had As or Ks and he put you on a semi-bluff flush draw. I just can't see he would do a limp-raise but not all in with Js or Qs. Even if he had a A-Ks, you still have to push the hand. So either way you should go all in.

so what the hell happpened. i know you haven't been reading THIS forum and thought that folding your set was a good idea and then come here to post about folding a set. if you did you're an idiot as well because you will be flamed forever.

teneight, how do you call? I have seen enough of your posts to know you are good solid player, so i don't mean to pick a fight. I don't see calling as an option. If he has AK, AQ, AJ, AA, KK you want him allin. If he has flush or str8 draw you want him in. The only two hands to worry over are QQ,JJ and if he has those you just need to pay him off. You are getting huge odds on your last 300 or what ever the rest of his stack is.If you really think he has QQ,JJ folding would be the play not call.thoughts?

I assume that people are going to yell at me, but one of the major factors in a situation like this, for me atleast, is instinct. I will surely call almost every time, but i have one of those extrasensory feelings that the eights arent good i will talk to him and then probably lay it down. Is anyone with me on this instincts thing? Just sometiems i get these strong feelings and they are never wrong.

I would put him 80% on AA or KK,20% on Ak with 2 of the possible flush. His pre-flop reraise of 40 in a pot already over 40 shows strength.I dont think he would make that reraise with JJ, even with QQ would be difficult.I would reraise him all in.

YES I PUSHED HIM.I felt it was AA and if he had a limp reraise in him with QQ or JJ so be it. I was doing well at the table and playing with profit which is the best way to take a shot at something bigger.Turn 7 CRiver 4 DHe held red QQ. Ouch.My "Club draw" would have been good, otherwise I had one out.Thanks for the confirmations that I made the 'right' play. I felt it was best too. If it's set over set oh well.Cheers.

I assume that people are going to yell at me, but one of the major factors in a situation like this, for me atleast, is instinct. I will surely call almost every time, but i have one of those extrasensory feelings that the eights arent good i will talk to him and then probably lay it down. Is anyone with me on this instincts thing? Just sometiems i get these strong feelings and they are never wrong.
I get those instincts all the time with weird hands. Never on a flop like that am I going to lay it down. EVER. There's a possible 8-10 hands he has lets say. 2 beat you, and you beat 6-8 you have beat. Always putting the $ in here.