playing outside your bankroll

Yeah, I play outside my bankroll, but I at least make sure to cash out some money when I'm winning, so that if I do blow through my bankroll, I'll at least have something to show for it.Lots of times I screw myself, but things are working out pretty well for me right now. I put $50 into PartyPoker about three and a half weeks ago when I was feeling pretty poor, and since then I'm up over $5000. During this time, I've played as high as 15/30 and 5/10 NL, so it leaves you vulnerable to some pretty big swings. Three days ago, I ran my active bankroll from $1800 down to $400, (not counting the $1300 I had taken out). Then the next day, I won $4200, getting it up to $4600 playing almost exclusively cash games. Then, I cashed out $1000 leaving me with $3600. The following day, I lost $2200, knocking my active bankroll down to $1400, but I've won $1600 today, and I have my PP account safely back over $3000.To recap:Money put into account in the last 3 weeks (starting at $0): $50Money cashed out over the last 3 weeks: $2300Money still in poker account: $3036Money I was down for the year going into three weeks ago: about $2000Overall net for the year as of right now: just over $3000 to the good

Yeah, I play outside my bankroll, but I at least make sure to cash out some money when I'm winning, so that if I do blow through my bankroll, I'll at least have something to show for it.Lots of times I screw myself, but things are working out pretty well for me right now. I put $50 into PartyPoker about three and a half weeks ago when I was feeling pretty poor, and since then I'm up over $5000. During this time, I've played as high as 15/30 and 5/10 NL, so it leaves you vulnerable to some pretty big swings. Three days ago, I ran my active bankroll from $1800 down to $400, (not counting the $1300 I had taken out). Then the next day, I won $4200, getting it up to $4600 playing almost exclusively cash games. Then, I cashed out $1000 leaving me with $3600. The following day, I lost $2200, knocking my active bankroll down to $1400, but I've won $1600 today, and I have my PP account safely back over $3000.To recap:Money put into account in the last 3 weeks (starting at $0): $50Money cashed out over the last 3 weeks: $2300Money still in poker account: $3036Money I was down for the year going into three weeks ago: about $2000Overall net for the year as of right now: just over $3000 to the good
You can't expect not to go broke constantly playing out of your bankroll, cashing out does absolutely nothing for you if your not beating the game and continue to play poker. The only way cashing out works is if you decide to quit poker and never play again, then you'll have made a profit of whatever you've made and call yourself a winner I guess.Of course you probably don't realize this fundamental principle, but without players like yourself, I guess I wouldn't have anybody to donate money in my games. The way you guys view this game is on a per session basis where X amount of dollars won=good session, X amount of dollars lost=horrible session(bad luck), while never viewing the long term goal of turning a profit over a long period of time. Over the longrun, a great session and a terrible session are insignificant in reality.

I am beating the games. The only thing cashing out does is help me preserve some of my bankroll if I play too high and lose my bankroll due to the variance.The thing about me losing for the year until two weeks ago is actually somewhat misleading as I hadn't really learned how to play well until about July or August. Over the last three months, I was actually slightly ahead, even without counting the last three weeks.Also, the other reason I've been doing well the last three weeks, is that I've been playing a lot more NL and a lot less limit. I probably am a loser in the long run at limit, as I'm just not very disciplined. I compensate for it somewhat by playing 6-handed, but I still only beat limit games consistently when my focus is at its absolute zenith. I do beat NL games more often than not though, both in cash games and in Sit & Gos.

Bankroll management is my religion.Fate would have it, then, that I log on to Party and unwittingly play NL $2000 heads up, mistaking the table for a PLAY MONEY table (don't ask why I wanted to play money), and winning $2000 in ten minutes.So, in order to prevent this story from being a promotion of bad BR management, ummm...DON'T DO IT.Now, would someone please step in and tell their story of losing half of their bankroll in ten minutes?

I play outside my bankroll but not by too much just cuz I play at the lowest level where the players actually know what a flush is.......... but atleast i got rid of the habit of moving up when im losing.

The last time I played outside my bankroll, my bankroll was .50. I grinded it out playing .01/.02 limit, then .01/.02 NL, and now, 1 year later, I have a $4000 online BR. I have never taken a shot at anything above my bankroll, and that is what I'm most proud of. Use bankroll management, it will keep you from going broke, if, in fact, you are a winning player.

Bankroll management is one of the keys to being a winning player. However, there is nothing wrong with taking a shot at a higher level. As long as you only attempt this sparingly when the game is good, it can be very helpful.

I am beating the games. The only thing cashing out does is help me preserve some of my bankroll if I play too high and lose my bankroll due to the variance.The thing about me losing for the year until two weeks ago is actually somewhat misleading as I hadn't really learned how to play well until about July or August. Over the last three months, I was actually slightly ahead, even without counting the last three weeks.Also, the other reason I've been doing well the last three weeks, is that I've been playing a lot more NL and a lot less limit. I probably am a loser in the long run at limit, as I'm just not very disciplined. I compensate for it somewhat by playing 6-handed, but I still only beat limit games consistently when my focus is at its absolute zenith. I do beat NL games more often than not though, both in cash games and in Sit & Gos.
Listen buddy, if your winning 3 or 4 times the amount of your bankroll in 1 session, your playing way too high and will eventually go bust, sooner rather than later. Yeah you cash out $1000 everytime you get up, but what about the times you bust your bankroll, have to deposit again and bust again a few times? Well, that's pretty simple, your outta money and can't play no more, it's called variance. It will catch up to you at some point as nobody can fade it.It takes time to be a proven winner. Being a winning player means doing it over a lengthy period of times, everybody hits good runs where they get hit by the deck and seem to be invincible, but it's how you handle the bad runs which determine whether you're actually a winning or losing player.

I have played above my bankroll in the past.I've done very well..... and I've lost it all...both in a short period of time.I don't do it anymore. I'm in it for the long haul. The only way to do that is to play within your means.

Playing outside your normal limits can be dangerous. If you want to keep your bankroll intact be very careful. If you play lower level NL lets say and bump up play very tight and if you win a big pot get out of there before ya get too greedy and lose it all.

Bankroll management is one of the keys to being a winning player. However, there is nothing wrong with taking a shot at a higher level. As long as you only attempt this sparingly when the game is good, it can be very helpful.
I do this from time to time...for instanceYou have a bankroll of 6K enought to be safe playing 10/20 and your up say 800 bringing your active BR to 6,800...If i can find a juicy 15/30 game i'll take the 800 that i'm up and sit down..now i do this with full intentions that if i lose the 800 i'm back to 10/20 grind, but should i walk away a big winner i'll be sitting with either enough or almost enough to make 15/30 my regular game.So playing outside your limits can be an effective way to up your limit level if you feel your ready...but of course you can't pull a Matasuo and steam off your entire stack because of a bad beat...it takes much discipline to make a run outside of your BR.Just my experiences
I do this from time to time...for instanceYou have a bankroll of 6K enought to be safe playing 10/20 and your up say 800 bringing your active BR to 6,800...If i can find a juicy 15/30 game i'll take the 800 that i'm up and sit down..now i do this with full intentions that if i lose the 800 i'm back to 10/20 grind, but should i walk away a big winner i'll be sitting with either enough or almost enough to make 15/30 my regular game.So playing outside your limits can be an effective way to up your limit level if you feel your ready...but of course you can't pull a Matasuo and steam off your entire stack because of a bad beat...it takes much discipline to make a run outside of your BR.Just my experiences
That is exactly what I do. There is nothing wrong with taking a shot at a higher limit. If you happen to lose, you still have experience in a bigger game, which is invaluble.