barry shulman throws a fit at the bellagio!!

I dont mean to say that Barry's actions were warranted but you can understand his frustration. What if the guy had raised, figuring he'd get a call out of lesser hands but only a flush would 3 bet him, so he would fold to a 3-bet...certainly not a unthinkable play with players who might be capable of a big laydown. He shows his hand thinking "Well, Barry outdrew me and I'm not paying him off..a pro would not 3 bet me wihtout a flush here...I'm making the big laydown" or for any other advertising purposes.The dealer mucks his hand and Barry shows him his two pair saying "I just bluffed you out of that one", then the other player says "Wait, I thought he called..not 3 betted, if he 3 betted I want to call." What's to protect Barry from this type of angle shooting.What if, to complicate things, Barry had mucked his hand without showing after his opponents hand was shown and mucked thinking he had won the pot? No one but Barry would have ever known what his cards were so he could have had a flush, two pair, a straight, a set...any number of hands..how would the dispute be settled then? The pot would almost have to rewarded to Barry..since he did nothing wrong and there's no way to prove he did not have a winning hand. Why does this change when Barry still has his cards to be checked? The other player (if he was not angle shooting) made the mistake first of showing his cards when the action was still progressing and then not protecting his cards in a way that the dealer could muck them without being awarded the pot. It's true that cards speak, but not when there is action still left to be done in the hand. If someone calls a bet at the end and the hand goes to showdown and the dealer mucks the winning hand after it was shown and starts shoving the pot to the losing hand, this can be easily corrected, but if someone shows his cards without calling a bet, the dealer mucks it, then the other guy having seen the other person's hand is still able to call bets, this is a huge grey area. A winning hand is a winning hand only if it makes it to showdown. A more extreme example would be if I had 72o preflop and folded but my cards were accidentally exposed while folding. The flop comes 772, and I say to the dealer...oops, I meant to call the preflop bet, can I have my cards back...I dont see what the difference is here.
very good post, and i agree 100%
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The floor ruled it and I trust the Bellagio floor. Discussing other details seems like a waste of time.The article written by Barry is funny considering but Barry has been publically a good sport at the tournament tables. Obviously, he is not the same when he's at his home turf. Barry lives at the Bellagio btw.Here is Linda Geenan's blog. She's the Bellagio dealer.

The floor ruled it and I trust the Bellagio floor. Discussing other details seems like a waste of time.The article written by Barry is funny considering but Barry has been publically a good sport at the tournament tables. Obviously, he is not the same when he's at his home turf. Barry lives at the Bellagio btw.Here is Linda Geenan's blog. She's the Bellagio dealer.
any idea where she talks about it in the blog? I can't seem to find it.

When you are playing a cash ring game and you are heads up with anotherp layer you can expose your cards. It does not make them dead. In a tournament situation, however, things are different. Exposing your cards early is grounds for a penalty. But even if you get a penalty in a tounrament your hand is still live. FYI