wats up with the hating on helmuth?

Completely ignoring the fact that he's a fantastic poker player, Hellmuth seems like a waste of a human being. Granted, I only know what I see on TV, and what I see on TV is largely an act designed to cultivate a certain "Poker Brat" image, but what I've read from other pro's who know him personally seems to indicate that he's exactly the same way when he's not at the table. Thinks he's that much better than everyone else, and I have a real problem with primadonnas. If I was that guy getting berated after winning a pot, you better believe I'd have some things to say back, instead of just sitting there taking the abuse. I have no patience for the guy, at least when Matusow gets after a guy you can tell he has a good heart about it and can take some ribbing in return. I think the fact that Hellmuth's wife is a psychologist is the only thing holding him together...
This whole post is completely off base.The party line on Hellmuth from DN and many others including Andy Glazer, John Bonetti and others have said that Phil is a jacka$$ at the table and the nicest guy away from it.I would love to know which other pro's you speak of.
He doesn't have to be on TV...he constantly berates individuals on the UB. of course, there's no cameras on him, but i guess he has to uphold his image.
I never said he had to be on TV. Your post didnt really add anything. I said he is an a$$ at the poker table. That includes an online poker table.I said away from a poker table of any kind, he is known as an extremely kind and generous person. There was a profile by Andy Glazer done on Phil H. that was on pokerpages.com a couple weeks ago. It details what I am talking about. Phil Gordon, Bonetti, Glazer and many others have publicly said it.....he is a complete jerk at the poker table and a wonderful person away from it. I dont condone his actions at a poker table.....but I would much rather be a good guy in life and a jerk at a poker table than vice versa....
Dude, i wasn't disputing your point.
sorry. I just assumed when you quoted me....but your post didnt really dispute mine so I admit I was confused. mea culpa.

The real reason everyone hates Phil is that when they see him they come face to face with an awful truth that is too terrible for them to bear.Without luck, Phil would win everyone of those things!Reach down and accept this, then and only then will you truly be free!

Hellmuth was sitting at the table directly behind me in the main event at the WPT legends event this year on day two and he definetely lived up to the hype. Tim Phan was at his table (with a huge chip stack) and everytime Phil raised a pot, Tim re-raised him. Phil would complain that he was being bullied and whine and whine, Phan at one point told him to stop complaining and call the bet if he he did not like it. Hilarious. Then at one point a guy about 6'6' and 280 pounds sucked out on Phil with a J high backdoor flush and Phil flipped and called him a dumb monkey. This comment was loud enough that the 5 tables around him stopped and watched. The guy stood up and told Phil he did not care who he was, no one calls him a dumb monkey and that on the next break he would show Phil who the real dumb monkey was. Phil immediately stated apologizing and being a total censored. Great moment.
That's hilarious. Now that would make AWESOME TV! Poker Brat gets punished by dumb monkey. I think as a relatively new poker player(I started playing after the Moneymaker WSOP aired on TV) that I've gone through a phase: At first I hated Phil, then I grew to respect him, then I bought the hype, then I realized that he makes a ton of mistakes and opens himself up for beats by the way he plays, now I have little respect for his game because he can't win in a cash game(which is honestly a much better test of who is a better player than tournament poker is).He has a tons of ability, but until he learns to be honest with himself and actually respect the competition then he will never be what he could be. JMO.
As someone said on another post watever sells,obviously working 4 him he makes $ away from the tbl because of it.
Good point. As example look at John McEnroe. Alot people who really wouldn't watch tennis, were suddenly watching tennis, just to see what his next antics or blowups would be. There were people who didn't like him for the way he acted on the court, but he gave himself a name off the court, and then a way he could market himself (the winning helped also). :-)

actually i will cop that 1 on the chin was bit wasted this mornin my birthday just got back from big nite laughed when i read that post. my next post is gonna be why the hating on mick_allin :? PS im 29 today by the way thank for asking,does it matter?

I get tried of all his whining when he loses a hand. He should show some class and shut-up & play. Yeah he has 9 WSOP bracelets, but when was the last time that he won one. I don't think that he'll ever catch Doyle and Johnny.

I get tried of all his whining when he loses a hand. He should show some class and shut-up & play. Yeah he has 9 WSOP bracelets, but when was the last time that he won one. I don't think that he'll ever catch Doyle and Johnny.
kinnda like carnies.

the one accomplishment you say hellmuth has done, winning the national heads up poker championship. Im sure DN would agree, it was mostly luck. When the blinds got big in that tournament it was basically an all-in fest. Just in his third match vs Huck Seed, the blinds were 1/6 of their stacks at the end. Huck was down and went all in because he had to and won with something like J6. He then had the chip lead and him and Hellmuth were all in the next two hands, Hellmuth took them both down and won the match. Because Hellmuth plays so weak-tight, the majority of his matches came down to the end where the blinds were so large it was all-in every hand. Hellmuth got lucky and survived these all-in fests and went on to win the tournament. There was very little skill involved at the end of the matches.