playing .50/1.00 is not poker

I'm a complete rank amateur. You can probably find a thread of mine even asking whether or not I should play for cash yet less than a month ago. I did well with the Play Money chips, so I decided to take the plunge, starting with $50.I've experimented quite a bit with some various strategies, including the one where Smasharoo recommended that I cover up my whole cards and just play position. (I only lost $0.75 that session, with a couple minor modifications to the rule.)I've only been playing the microlimits NL, at $0.01/0.02 at PokerStars, and my bankroll has ballooned to $106, playing a strategy that is only slightly more complex than the one outlined here (I don't go all-in with the set... 8) ). My bankroll would have been higher, but I played in some of those $5 + $0.50 SnG's, and I didn't have a good tournament strategy, and lost my buy-in.My point is, if someone like me, who really doesn't know much about the game and doesn't take it that seriously can double their bankroll in less than a month, then I can't imagine that there's a ton of skill involved, just an avoidance of idiocy.Oh, and BTW, I tried limit poker once. I won't share that experience with you.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
I'm a complete rank amateur.  You can probably find a thread of mine even asking whether or not I should play for cash yet less than a month ago.  I did well with the Play Money chips, so I decided to take the plunge, starting with $50.I've experimented quite a bit with some various strategies, including the one where Smasharoo recommended that I cover up my whole cards and just play position.  (I only lost $0.75 that session, with a couple minor modifications to the rule.)I've only been playing the microlimits NL, at $0.01/0.02 at PokerStars, and my bankroll has ballooned to $106, playing a strategy that is only slightly more complex than the one outlined here (I don't go all-in with the set...  8)  ).  My bankroll would have been higher, but I played in some of those $5 + $0.50 SnG's, and I didn't have a good tournament strategy, and lost my buy-in.My point is, if someone like me, who really doesn't know much about the game and doesn't take it that seriously can double their bankroll in less than a month, then I can't imagine that there's a ton of skill involved, just an avoidance of idiocy.Oh, and BTW, I tried limit poker once.  I won't share that experience with you.
Thank you professor as i said Nl is poker lots of options not that way with limit
you my freind are the fool ---you are a slight favorite against 5 players no more
OK, wait...one more post. A favorite? Does that mean I will win more than I lose? hmmmmmm. wait I'm still thinking. :? This is a tough one... :roll: Also, just because i'm not a favorite doesn't mean it's not +EV. What about pot size and pot equity....jesus christ i'm going to kill myself.PS. Learn some poker theory...no wait. Don't. I want you at my table.
Guest Anonymous
you my freind are the fool ---you are a slight favorite against 5 players no more
OK, wait...one more post. A favorite? Does that mean I will win more than I lose? hmmmmmm. wait I'm still thinking. :? This is a tough one... :roll: Also, just because i'm not a favorite doesn't mean it's not +EV. What about pot size and pot equity....jesus christ i'm going to kill myself.PS. Learn some poker theory...no wait. Don't. I want you at my table.
anyday partner you want to play as is aid who is the favorite in that hand. YOu still didn't answer. POker theory in .50/1.00 hahahaha

Now, I'm not saying this you, but most people who start a thread like this one are horrible Holdem players who can't beat the limit game at all because they don't play well enough. They can, however, beat the amazingly bad NL games. They then decide that, hey, they're good Holdem players, they can beat NL which is, after all "The Cadilac of Poker!" Puzzled by their inability to beat low limit structured limit games, they conclude that the only possible explination must be that the game takes no skill. I mean, they have skill and they can't beat it, right? Can't be them, must be the game. They then put on their sungless, hooded sweatshits, and baseball can and log into $100 NL shouting "That's no limit baybee!" everytime they drag a pot in their best imitation Scotty Ngueyn voice.

Let me rephrase... I've experimented with some different strategies, and won despite them (I lost $12 basically holding down the Raise button. 8) ).That being said, I don't think there's a lot of particular SKILL to microlimit poker. Limit poker, on the other hand, kicked my ass.

I'm a complete rank amateur.  You can probably find a thread of mine even asking whether or not I should play for cash yet less than a month ago.  I did well with the Play Money chips, so I decided to take the plunge, starting with $50.I've experimented quite a bit with some various strategies, including the one where Smasharoo recommended that I cover up my whole cards and just play position.  (I only lost $0.75 that session, with a couple minor modifications to the rule.)I've only been playing the microlimits NL, at $0.01/0.02 at PokerStars, and my bankroll has ballooned to $106, playing a strategy that is only slightly more complex than the one outlined here (I don't go all-in with the set...  8)  ).  My bankroll would have been higher, but I played in some of those $5 + $0.50 SnG's, and I didn't have a good tournament strategy, and lost my buy-in.My point is, if someone like me, who really doesn't know much about the game and doesn't take it that seriously can double their bankroll in less than a month, then I can't imagine that there's a ton of skill involved, just an avoidance of idiocy.Oh, and BTW, I tried limit poker once.  I won't share that experience with you.
Thank you professor as i said Nl is poker lots of options not that way with limit

HAHAHAHHAHA fool here si an example for all you people5 man handplayer 1 AsKdPlayer 2 4s5splayer 3 Ad9cplayer4 3h7hplayer5 6s10sFLOP Ah 6H 3CWho is the favorite in this hand? Morons!!The paired flush draw, obviously.My turn. What are the odds of flopping a paired flush draw when playing any two suited cards?

Guest Anonymous
Now, I'm not saying this you, but most people who start a thread like this one are horrible Holdem players who can't beat the limit game at all because they don't play well enough.  They can, however, beat the amazingly bad NL games.  They then decide that, hey, they're good Holdem players, they can beat NL which is, after all "The Cadilac of Poker!"  Puzzled by their inability to beat low limit structured limit games, they conclude that the only possible explination must be that the game takes no skill.  I mean, they have skill and they can't beat it, right?  Can't be them, must be the game.  They then put on their sungless, hooded censored, and baseball can and log into $100 NL shouting "That's no limit baybee!"  everytime they drag a pot in their best imitation Scotty Ngueyn voice.
first off i play liomit poker also 3/6that is a good enogh size to trap bluff raise and basically play real poker. /50/1.000 eliminates all that part of the game there is no semi bliuff its having the hand or folding thats it
Guest Anonymous
HAHAHAHHAHA fool here si an example for all you people5 man handplayer 1 AsKdPlayer 2 4s5splayer 3 Ad9cplayer4 3h7hplayer5 6s10sFLOP Ah 6H 3CWho is the favorite in this hand? Morons!!The paired flush draw, obviously.My turn.  What are the odds of flopping a paired flush draw when playing any two suited cards?
and who is second choicer to win the pot guess what not AK

and who is second choicer to win the pot guess what not AKYou haven't answered my question yet. What are the odds of flopping a flush draw and a pair when you play two random suited cards?Or was that not in the example you cut and pasted here?

I always love it when people claim to be good poker players, but complain about $0.50/$1.00 tables. Sit a long time, play only premium starting hands, go in when you have the best hand, get lots of action everytime you move in, take the other player's money. Sure it's time-consuming and boring, but it's easy.

Guest Anonymous
I always love it when people claim to be good poker players, but complain about $0.50/$1.00 tables.  Sit a long time, play only premium starting hands, go in when you have the best hand, get lots of action everytime you move in, take the other player's money.  Sure it's time-consuming and boring, but it's easy.
thats my point pretty much and if you don't have the best hand you can bluff and slow play. that is why i started this thread .50/1.00 is not poker it is drawing well and getting lucky

thats my point pretty much and if you don't have the best hand you can bluff and slow play. that is why i started this thread .50/1.00 is not poker it is drawing well and getting luckyYou must get crushed at $3/$6. Where do you play so I can get in on some of that action.

Guest Anonymous
thats my point pretty much and if you don't have the best hand you can bluff and slow play. that is why i started this thread .50/1.00 is not poker it is drawing well and getting luckyYou must get crushed at $3/$6. Where do you play so I can get in on some of that action.
party poker --really get crushed come join

There are a couple of morons active in this forum, sounds like one or two are writing with a copy of "Super System" nearby, sounds like some people have lost some serious cash lately. Get back in the game so that I can take your money.....NOW!! There are different limits and types of games for a reason....so everyone can play somewhere they are comfortable, can afford to play, can learn the game or enhance their ability, and have some fun and hopefully make some cash. But to waste time arguing about what is and what isn't true poker is non-sensical and borders on idiocy. Deal me in, Peace!!

.5/$1.00 isn't poker huh? Truer words have never been spoken than by someonewho obviously can't bet a limit game over 30k hands. I'm goona say this, NO LIMIT IS BORING. I don't like playing no-limit cash games, for tournries yeah its good. I feel that a good bigbet cash game that takes a ton more skill is Pot Limit. No limit you can just push your stack in whenever you have the nuts, what skill does tis take. In limit hand reading is tremndously important and figuring out how to extract each last bet. You also have to be good to win at limit, No limit hides your mistakes because being able to double up. I guess that David Sklansky doesn't know what he's talking about and so all he plays is limit, so I guess he doesn't play poker

What do u mean with 100nl ? is it 100 in blinds? :D I would love to move up a notch but I cant seem to get that first shove, You see I do not have much money so i cant put in like 1000dollars at once if anyone know how im supposed to get up a bankroll or something so I dont have to play at .50 1 blinds pm me I would be very grateful and also how large should a bankroll be?

NL is the only real pokerwith that statement you are now officially classified as a tool
Saying that NL is the only real poker is possibly the most small minded statement I have ever ever ever seen posted on this forum. That is a very poor perception. It may be your favourite, but how can you make that sweeping statement.Try to play Omaha Hi Lo and see how well you do superstar.IMO a great poker player can play them all.
NL is the only real pokerwith that statement you are now officially classified as a tool
Saying that NL is the only real poker is possibly the most small minded statement I have ever ever ever seen posted on this forum. That is a very poor perception. It may be your favourite, but how can you make that sweeping statement.Try to play Omaha Hi Lo and see how well you do superstar.IMO a great poker player can play them all.
by the way I didn't write that NL is the only real poker sheriff, I was quoting the tool formerly known as toogood.