playing .50/1.00 is not poker

You're right it's not normal holdem. It's more like 2 card Omaha. But the fact remains that AA will still get 40% of the moneyover time and in a live game at say $2-4, 0r $3-6 you need the read the inexperienced players to win. They don't know they're trapped with KJ off, etc and you have to punish their 3 and 5 outers, then release when you know they hit them. Those limits--- online--- negate your reading skill, important at low limits--so yes it's not really a true test of luck vs. skill.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right it's not normal holdem. It's more like 2 card Omaha.
You went from an idiotic statement to a very clever one. What exactly is 'normal' hold'em? And if you mean 2 card Omaha because of all the drawing hands that tend to win in low limit multiway pots or because the pure nuts tend to be the winner most of the time, then its clever.
You're right it's not normal holdem. It's more like 2 card Omaha.
You went from an idiotic statement to a very clever one. What exactly is 'normal' hold'em? And if you mean 2 card Omaha because of all the drawing hands that tend to win in low limit multiway pots or because the pure nuts tend to be the winner most of the time, then its clever.
hahahahaha :D aseem

I think your post lacks credibility. NL .5/1 is one of the softest games a good player can find. You might get your aa's cracked by j6 hearts but you you make so much money playing against the fish in the long run. You get the average fish player buying for 25-50$ . You only have to take out a fish an hour to make it worth while. Not even that. I played .5/1 NL for just over three weeks at 4 hours a session, 4 days a week after work and turned 200 into 1,050. Granted when I doubled my buy in I'd sometimes get sucked out but more often than not the laws of probability held true. (funny that) and i took the fishes money. I don't see why anyone should automatically want to risk a higher limit with better players when you can make easy money against fish. Pokers is poker no matter what level you play it at.

.5/$1.00 isn't poker huh? Truer words have never been spoken than by someonewho obviously can't bet a limit game over 30k hands. I'm goona say this, NO LIMIT IS BORING. I don't like playing no-limit cash games, for tournries yeah its good. I feel that a good bigbet cash game that takes a ton more skill is Pot Limit. No limit you can just push your stack in whenever you have the nuts, what skill does tis take. In limit hand reading is tremndously important and figuring out how to extract each last bet. You also have to be good to win at limit, No limit hides your mistakes because being able to double up. I guess that David Sklansky doesn't know what he's talking about and so all he plays is limit, so I guess he doesn't play poker
Hmm, when I play no limit I don't "just push in when I have the nuts", I try to bet the best amount my opponent will call. The reason I prefer NL cash games over limit cash games is not because I think NL is the best and only way to play poker, I don't. But if I'm playing hold em', then yes, I prefer NL because I feel I can extract the most from my opponent in a short amount of time. The worst NL cash game players are usually broke the quickest. You find them, you break them.NL hand reading is also important, just as in any form of poker. To say that "limit hand reading is tremndously important and figuring out how to extract each last bet" just relates to limit poker is wrong. Hand reading applies to any form of poker for obvious reasons.There are so many weak players in NL games I can't not play them. I used to be one of them back when I first started cause I didn't know the game at all. Now, after experience and time spent, I prefer NL hold em' cause it fits my style of play and I've gotten to the point where I'm beating the stakes I play consistently for profit.I don't really care what game is "better" or "harder" to play. Poker is just about money isn't it? I mean, in black in white, it's about making money, so I say...pick your poison and be the best at it to your ability. Being a more serious limit hold em' player is something I have thought about doing, I just really can't get myself away from the easy money being made in the NL games. So as I said, pick your poison and grind away. And finally, I think this toogood guy is an obvious troll.Good day fellas, and good luck.- Jordan

Although provocative, I think this post, at heart, raises a good point.The poster claims .5/$1 lim is not poker and is obviously wrong because it's necessarily one level of poker, but his point gets missed entirely.I've tried .5/1 etc. when playing on-line and gradually worked my way up to a high NL game and higher limit games and anyone can tell you that at .5/1 drawing odds are against you. I don't mean you don't have the right odds to draw, I mean hand value goes down because everyone and their brother's children is calling you with their low to no pair 'til the good ol' river brings them their sunshine. Are these games unbeatable? No. Are these games a good investment for your money? No.Depending on the definition of poker, specifically, if you want to play what is considered "winning" poker, and see efficacious results of your play, I would agree to a large extent that .5/1 lim is not poker, or at least not the "right" poker to play.

Although provocative, I think this post, at heart, raises a good point.The poster claims .5/$1 lim is not poker and is obviously wrong because it's necessarily one level of poker, but his point gets missed entirely.I've tried .5/1 etc. when playing on-line and gradually worked my way up to a high NL game and higher limit games and anyone can tell you that at .5/1 drawing odds are against you. I don't mean you don't have the right odds to draw, I mean hand value goes down because everyone and their brother's children is calling you with their low to no pair 'til the good ol' river brings them their sunshine.  It's all about adjusting your game to conditions.  You don't want top pair, you want a flush/straight draw or a set.  Obviously you will be playing your high PPs and be trying to get them to hold up, but they will only hodl up a small percentage of the time (compared to what you expect from other games).  But the pots they win will be huge.
The point that the original poster missed, and perhaps you did a bit too, is that while it's true that these games are all drawing games, you need to be playing that game TOO. You should be drawing a hell of a lot, though not with WEAK draws. That's why suited connectors and Ax suited (and sometimes Kx suited) should be seeing the flop nearly every time, if the table is passive. And not only should you be trying to flop draws, when you do, depending on how good the draw is, you should be jamming it.You'll have better luck jamming your nut flush draw vs 7 people than you will with AA on the flop (unless you've flopped a set). And again, if it's 7 people jamming KQ on a JT3 rainbow board is also a fine fine plan. If you don't understand this, and are only jamming AA/KK/QQ you're missing the point.
Are these games unbeatable? No.  Are these games a good investment for your money? No.Depending on the definition of poker, specifically, if you want to play what is considered "winning" poker, and see efficacious results of your play, I would agree to a large extent that .5/1 lim is not poker, or at least not the "right" poker to play.
Where it's a good investment for your money depends on a lot of things. What are you trying to get out of playing it? If your goal is to increase your bankroll they're certainly a good investment, if all you have to put in is 300 bucks. Could you win more in NL25? Most probably. Will learning to beat .5/1 teach you a lot more than learning to beat NL25? Most definitely.