i'm a moderator now............

PLEASE refrain from deleting threads. Locking threads is always a far better alternative and if the OP is so useless/abusive/trash etc then the creator should be banned. Basically I don't see any reason to ever delete a thread unless you also plan to ban the member.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEASE refrain from deleting threads. Locking threads is always a far better alternative and if the OP is so useless/abusive/trash etc then the creator should be banned. Basically I don't see any reason to ever delete a thread unless you also plan to ban the member.
Deleting a thread is sometimes necessary to prevent other members from seeing offensive comments and possibly seeking retribution of some sort.dmNHL Hockey Moderator
I'll keep that in mind.
Deleting a thread is sometimes necessary to prevent other members from seeing offensive comments and possibly seeking retribution of some sort.dmNHL Hockey Moderator
Which is what I said. Thanks for reiterating.
Which is what I said. Thanks for reiterating.
We did not say the same thing! :?

Now that there are a group of moderators, you will face a number of problems, mostly coming from grief from emotional users and disagreements with each other.To minimize this you should start off by not moderating much and slowly growing into your roles. And as soon as possible, have a clear list of what moderation tasks take priority and where the line is for when there is a breach that requires a move, lock, or in more extreme cases a delete or temporary ban or full suspension. Also, a clear line of "who is in charge" needs to be set. Steve7stud - you need to step up here as a leader. I like many of us here at FCP trust you and your attitude towards FCP and all the people on it.Some things are easy like spam, profanity or easy clean ups, but murky issues will follow when people are heated and they perceive unfair moderations or favoritism to some posters. I think that PMing and warning individuals is the best way and most respectful way to let users know what is acceptable in FCP land. Giving people time to cool down is the key here.To help this you all need to be a united team and communicate with each other. To this end there should be a PRIVATE HIDDEN forum for moderators and admins to access. This is where you can post and discuss about issues and what was done regarding certain posts or threads and you can temporarily move threads here (instead of flat out deleting them). I also suggest you get to know each other and be able to communicate with each other via PM, IM and even phone on occaision.I am not asking to be a moderator, but would like to be able to post/read on a admin forum to put forth advice and my opinion if you'd want it. I do have experience in this from the early days of the internet. I also highly recommend that SOMEONE get a book like this and figure out what the goals of FCP are and establish the plan on getting there.

also, now that you are moderators -- your conduct on FCP cannot be the same as before -- essentially, you are not as free to post whatever you want now and cannot be personally involved with conflicts. For some of you this is not a big change (if at all) but for others, you may need to keep yourself in check sometimes over the sillyness that occurs. You're representing FCP and DN now so keep that in mind.

Guys remember this is supposed to be a fun forum, lets keep it that way. I am starting to get a little concerned. Keep it simple. Use good judgement when deleting or banning. Everyone is getting too excited here. I hope no one gets trigger happy and starts deleting and locking every other thread.Just my 2 cents......God Bless

Now that there are a group of moderators, you will face a number of problems, mostly coming from grief from emotional users and disagreements with each other.To minimize this you should start off by not moderating much and slowly growing into your roles. And as soon as possible, have a clear list of what moderation tasks take priority and where the line is for when there is a breach that requires a move, lock, or in more extreme cases a delete or temporary ban or full suspension. Also, a clear line of "who is in charge" needs to be set. Steve7stud - you need to step up here as a leader. I like many of us here at FCP trust you and your attitude towards FCP and all the people on it.Some things are easy like spam, profanity or easy clean ups, but murky issues will follow when people are heated and they perceive unfair moderations or favoritism to some posters. I think that PMing and warning individuals is the best way and most respectful way to let users know what is acceptable in FCP land. Giving people time to cool down is the key here.To help this you all need to be a united team and communicate with each other. To this end there should be a PRIVATE HIDDEN forum for moderators and admins to access. This is where you can post and discuss about issues and what was done regarding certain posts or threads and you can temporarily move threads here (instead of flat out deleting them). I also suggest you get to know each other and be able to communicate with each other via PM, IM and even phone on occaision.I am not asking to be a moderator, but would like to be able to post/read on a admin forum to put forth advice and my opinion if you'd want it. I do have experience in this from the early days of the internet. I also highly recommend that SOMEONE get a book like this and figure out what the goals of FCP are and establish the plan on getting there.
Thanks for all of the great advice. But you do know that I'm not getting paid right? LOL. This will be my new running joke.On a more serious note. I think you're absolutely right on a lot of levels. I intend to start off slowly, and try not to overwhelm myself. But in all honesty, there is nothing that I wouldn't do for Daniel. And I feel that maintaining the integrity of this forum is a top priority for me. I have often said that no single person can make this happen. It is a collective effort. If you lead by example, others will follow. We should talk more on the isssue. I really did enjoy your input.Steve
Actually, that was NEVER ok here. I just didn't have enough people policing it. We have the word filter set up, but if you try to get around it your post will be deleted.
That's going to be a problem.
Not really- you will just be heard alot less. Which will be bad because I like you man. I don't know about a problem, though, in that the things I never hear I won't even know about. Did that make sense?
Since I was very vocal in my support for you as a moderator, and I did direct you to the thread requesting you to become one......I am expecting special treatment by you. That is all.
Of course. :-)
Congrats Steve.But, this thread should be in Off Topic. :club: (sw)It will kinda be trial by error for the first week or two. Talk to Governator and Jayson if you have any questions. After a few weeks, you'll get settled in and will do a marvelous job.
actually try me or gov
Since I was very vocal in my support for you as a moderator, and I did direct you to the thread requesting you to become one......I am expecting special treatment by you. That is all.
Thanks. I knew I could count on you. :wink:
JWeb did a great job of letting me know I was crossing the line when I first signed up here introducing myself as the Wynn's bathroom ambassidor (I was never paid for that position either...) He sent me a pm asking me to please stop, and to contribute to the forum in a positive way. I was very impressed in the way he handled it and since then tried to only post items that improve the forum....by the way... now that he's no longer with the Wynn, do you think I could be reinstated as... nevermind
Personally, I think your stuff is hillarious. Unless someone complains, I honestly have no problem. You never attack anyone, you tell great stories that are really light hearted, I love it. But again, I'm in a different role now I guess. If I have to talk to you for whatever reason, I will do my best to use the same finesse that JWeb did.
You can always count on me. I mean that. I'm here for ya.
You can always count on me. I mean that. I'm here for ya.
lay off my woman steve! moderator or not! Im just serious!

Congrats Steve. It may be the handfull of drinks I had tonight...but I can almost feel a single tear welling up because I'm so happy that you're a mod...is that wierd?But seriously, I think you'll be great for the forum in an official leadership role. And seriously, I almost have a single tear forming as I type. For the record, I cried like a freakin baby at the end of Braveheart.FREEEEEEEDDOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM