fcp veterans forum?

So the name of this "select" forum could be: Secret Hand-Shaking Buttholes >?I don't do (sw)'s, so judge accordingly.I've been a Moderator for over 2 years on the most popular XXXX racing forum on the web. We maintain total anonymity - even between other Mods.Voluntary or accidental admission of being a Mod is immediate termination. It's fairly obvious why we do this. It's completely fair to the members that they receive unbias treatment, thus we avoid pets sucking up to us in open forum and we also get to see bad posters at work without prejudice. Known user names that are Mods are usually ineffective and delegate their power inappropriately, history has repeated itself too many times to debunk this statement - not saying this is the case on FCPFor those whom are about to embark on the new challenge of moderating don't be disillusioned about the amount of work ahead of you. I dedicate approx. 80 hours a week to my job as a Moderator.Our stats (all approx. numbers):1.2 million hits per month800,000 views per month260,000 post per month17,000 new threads a month2000 (off-season) to 4000 (peak season) Moderator inquiries (80% from crybabies and snitches and upset posters)37,000+ membersAll this divided by 7 Moderators and I'm the only one that is retired while the other 6 hold down full-time jobs, so be prepared for your new commitment.My guess is FCP will equal and probably surpass these stats if it already hasn't.As far and post count criteria for a "veterans forum only" as silly as it seems, I suppose it has its place if it's a source of appeasement.I could go out and post 400 "nh" post and another 100 post of the sexual friction created by viewing MissIdaho's av while eating belgium waffles or do the" I'll get there when I get there" thing. After all a forum is "A public meeting place for open discussion" but that's just by defintion.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. I haven't been around for a long time but I deftantly check the site often enough that if I had wanted too I coulda joined the "in crowd" and picked a fight with every single poster on evey post I possibly could.
Even if there was an "in crowd", no you "coulda" not joined it.Picking fights isn't enough, you have to be good at it.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Veteran's Forum. I've been here a while, but I mostly read, not post. It can be tough sifting through some of the nonsense that gets posted. Also, banning a lot of the people that just come to start trouble would be fine by me. Although I wouldn't be able to post with the vets, I could still read what they have to say, which is what I come to the forum for, anyway. I would suggest the way to do it, though, is to take those that were mentioned in Daniel's blog, and have them grant exemptions to those with less posts but who are valued members of the forum (steve7stud comes to mind). If someone is new to the forum and posts excellent content, then they will be granted access to the vet forum. It's a reward, not a penalty.

Guest Zach6668
I've been a member for a while. Maybe you should do it by date instead of how many posts. I know there is alot of us who have been on here for a while, just don't post as much as the others.
I agree with this. I think it should be by date joined.
Even that isn't fair in some cases. There are a lot of posters who lurked prior to posting who have a lot to contribute.Zach
well if they had a lot to offer then why not stop lurking , join and post.
Not necessarily. Like myself, when I first found this site, I was just starting in my poker endeavours. I would have been in way over my head if I just jumped right in. The point is that when I finally did register to post, I was contributing, but that doesn't mean someone like me should be relegated to being with the retard newbies.Zach
I've been a member for a while. Maybe you should do it by date instead of how many posts. I know there is alot of us who have been on here for a while, just don't post as much as the others.
I agree with this. I think it should be by date joined.
Even that isn't fair in some cases. There are a lot of posters who lurked prior to posting who have a lot to contribute.Zach
well if they had a lot to offer then why not stop lurking , join and post.
Not necessarily. Like myself, when I first found this site, I was just starting in my poker endeavours. I would have been in way over my head if I just jumped right in. The point is that when I finally did register to post, I was contributing, but that doesn't mean someone like me should be relegated to being with the retard newbies.Zach
LOL. I think this is what DN is trying to avoid.

Please also open a Pad your Post Count forum for all those who will just tryto get over 1000. Also, just because you have 1000 posts does not make you a veteran. It should be something on how long you have been a member of FCP. I can see many "vets" having this to say......Wow, I have 1000 posts, of course, 200 of them were saying how great Smash's theory is, 100 were about MissIdaho's avatars, 50 were about MarionSauce and why Canadian women are best, 425 were about nothing at all, 100 were about why online poker is not rigged, 100 were random rants, and 25 was about my limited poker abilities.

Guest Zach6668
Please also open a Pad your Post Count forum for all those who will just tryto get over 1000. Also, just because you have 1000 posts does not make you a veteran. It should be something on how long you have been a member of FCP. I can see many "vets" having this to say......Wow, I have 1000 posts, of course, 200 of them were saying how great Smash's theory is, 100 were about MissIdaho's avatars, 50 were about MarionSauce and why Canadian women are best, 425 were about nothing at all, 100 were about why online poker is not rigged, 100 were random rants, and 25 was about my limited poker abilities.
LOL+1

I dont really see a point in seperating people by how many posts they have. Granted, I hardly have any, but that doesn't mean that what I have to say is any less valid than someone who has 1000+ posts. This isn't the only site where newb bashing happens

I voted yes for this idea but I feel that there should be room for folks who don't have 1,000 posts if they are voted in by a "jedi council".Besides Steve7Stud, of course Harry Demetriou should be allowed to post in that section. Extempore (Paul Phillips) doesn't have even 100 posts but I enjoy his posts when he pops in now and then. Even some of the non-pro's who have good stories to tell like PMJackson and AlSmooth should have the chance to post.I don't really understand the "no" side - you can post in 99% of the site, but you are upset because there is one part of the forum that you can't post in (you are still allowed to read). I see it the same as the VIP section of a club but with a much easier way to join. For myself, I like the idea as there are some quality posts in General, but I'm sure that I miss them because it takes too long to wade thru some of the garbage topics. Also, knowledge of some of the history of this forum helps in understanding many of the posts. Just as an example, I believe that someone took offense in one of the posts on this thread which had a (sw) next to it. Anyone who's been here awhile knows that (sw) stands for sarcasm warning and is not meant to be taken literally.

So the name of this "select" forum could be: Secret Hand-Shaking Censored >?I don't do (sw)'s, so judge accordingly.I've been a Moderator for over 2 years on the most popular XXXX racing forum on the web. We maintain total anonymity - even between other Mods.Voluntary or accidental admission of being a Mod is immediate termination. It's fairly obvious why we do this. It's completely fair to the members that they receive unbias treatment, thus we avoid pets sucking up to us in open forum and we also get to see bad posters at work without prejudice. Known user names that are Mods are usually ineffective and delegate their power innapropriately, history has repeated itself too many times to debunk this statement - not saying this is the case on FCPFor those whom are about to embark on the new challenge of moderating don't be disillusioned about the amount of work ahead of you. I dedicate approx. 80 hours a week to my job as a Moderator.Our stats (all approx. numbers):1.2 million hits per month800,000 views per month260,000 post per month17,000 new threads a month2000 (off-season) to 4000 (peak season) Moderator inquiries (80% from crybabies and snitches and upset posters)37,000+ membersAll this divided by 7 Moderators and I'm the only one that is retired while the other 6 hold down full-time jobs, so be prepared for your new commitment.My guess is FCP will equal and probably surpass these stats if it already hasn't.As far and post count criteria for a "veterans forum only" as silly as it seems, I suppose it has it's place if it's a source of appeasement.I could go out and post 400 "nh" post and another 100 post of the sexual friction created by viewing MissIdaho's av while eating belgium waffles or do the" I'll get there when I get there" thing. After all a forum is "A public meeting place for open discussion" but that's just by defintion.
good post.Jayson can share about the work in moderation already. It's a hoot and a half.The goal here is to have community members help in self-policing.FCP can become like the projects with police driving through the streets, or it can be like a real neighborhood where people know their neighbors and don't do crap because everyone will know that they are a douche.

Okay, here are my cents..First off,here are my early newyears resolutions. I pledge to stop flamming newbies, just for being newbies. I generally don't do much of this anyway,I generally only flame the really obnoxious, but I can be rather. caustic in critqueing some times. I'll tone that down a bit. I also pledge to stop circumventing the profanity filter. It's there for a reason, I suppose.But here's the deal.. I think all this talk of special forums, and super special forums, and super secret forums and what not to be really obnoxious. It all sounds like lame popularity contests to me. If you want a veteran forum, fine, great, have one. It gives a reward for putting in the hours here, I get that. But a content forum? That seems really absurd to me. Isn't the point of online forums for dialog? Isn't it so people can disaggree, and bounce ideas of each other, and to DISCUSS? How can you discuss issues if only the popular kids get to particpate? this smacks of high school prom voting, or something. And what exactly constitutes " Quality" content? Is it poker strategy related? because we already have a forum for that, and it's pretty damn good! Is it poker "issue " related? I just think having a "superstar" forum will rob the rest of the forum of quality discussion.. the "superstars" sticking to that forum, and the rest of us not being able to particpate in this dialouge....This is sort of psedeo elietism I find very unattractive, I think the beauty of online forums is the democrasy of it.I may have to start peddling my pinchers else where.

As is obvious by my post count, I am a fairly new poster, although I have been a lurker for some time. When I originally started reading all the posts I had no desire to actually post because of the large amount of flaming that even a polite uninformed "dumb newb" would get. Obviously I eventually felt the need to ask some questions and wanted to join the poker community here. Although I realize as a new member my opinion holds little merit to some, I think part of the solution is for more members here to show tolerance to some of the more ignorant posts here. (Notice I do not designate veterans here, I am talking about all FCP posters.) I understand that it gets frustrating to have to deal with people who come here almost intent on starting flame wars, but if you don't fire back they will get bored and go away. If someone is obviously wrong but just uninformed, explain why politely, and go your own way, if they won't listen to you, ehh, who cares?. Basically, I guess what I'm saying is, whether or not there is a veteran's forum (which I care little enough about one way or another that I'm not even going to vote) is not goign to matter unless veterans and newbs both (like yours truly) start to treat fcp members with more tolerance, which I DO care about as I want to become a part of this community and helpt to contribute and learn from others here. As an example of what I am talking about, look towards posters like Steve7stud and Daniel, and how they handle attacks to themselves or the multiple types of misinformation on the forum. The always handle themselves with class and let people know that they respect their right to state their opinion, even if they feel strongly it is dead wrong. And yes i realize how sanctimonious this sounds, but I really do believe everything written here. With that said... flame on!! :wink: Devon

ATTENTION: A veteran that has over 8k posts doesn't agree with this. This has to tell you something. Btw, check out the poll results. Its almost exactly 50/50.
ATTENTION: calm the hell down.
what did i say that made me look like i needed to calm down? :?
ATTENTION: A veteran that has over 8k posts doesn't agree with this. This has to tell you something. Btw, check out the poll results. Its almost exactly 50/50.
ATTENTION: calm the hell down.
what did i say that made me look like i needed to calm down? :?
I think he was meaning you jumping at everybody in the heat of the moment.

sorry I got to this thread late (didnt read the 6 pages of posts)But this has got to be one of the biggest mistakes that a community could have taken.This will divide more then unite. Making the "vets" their own private forum will only induce tighter bonds and a more fierce defence if a "newbie" says something out of line towards another "vet"

i've been gone for the most of the weekend so i'm still behind on a lot of the stuff seems to have gone on the last couple of days. however, i just come upon this thread about a veteran's forum and figured i should add my own two cents. i agree that there should be a separate forum for people of the community who have been around of a while and know each other. however, i don't think a mandated post count is entirely fair. i don't get to post all that often because of other obligations in my life along with the fact that i don't ever make posts flaming people (other than tiffany williamson), or posts about pointless concepts, or posts that rehash something that has already been covered numerous times. however, i still feel that i'm part of the community and although many people probably don't know who i am i believe there are many people on here who i do have a pretty good realtionship with. i think i saw someone else mention the idea of having some sort of a commitee let people in if they don't meet the required post count, if a post count is implemented then i think this would be a good idea.anyways, i just wanted to post my thoughts on the issue for what little value they may be worth. if the post count ends up being 1k so be it, but i believe that i'm just as worthy of being in this new forum as some other who might have this 1k post count but have very few meaningful or even positive posts.

i agree with you speedz, i think the vet forum is a good idea, i'm just saying if you are going to make an objective post count then at the very least some sort of commitee or something should be made to let in deserving people. btw, i don't mind the flames of idiot newbies, i actually find most of it rather humorous, i simply dont take part in it myself.

I think I might have a solution to the volume issue we are having here in the General Forum recently. What do you guys think of the idea of adding another forum for "FCP Veterans" only? Something along the lines of, "Minimum 1000 posts." Hopefully, that will help the veterans maintain their close knit community while allowing newbies a chance to be a part of this community without being chastised for it. I appreciate the Veterans concerns, but guys, seriously, you need to stop treating the newbies so poorly. It represents FCP very poorly and I don't like it. Try to be a little more kind to the newbies. Anyway, let me know if you guys think adding a Veterans forum would be something you'd all like to see and I'll get it done.
I don't agree with doing it by post count....I have been on FCP before its current form.....but I choose not to post to berate someone or post just to make posts. Perhaps making it by registration date??Basshuntr
I think I might have a solution to the volume issue we are having here in the General Forum recently. What do you guys think of the idea of adding another forum for "FCP Veterans" only? Something along the lines of, "Minimum 1000 posts." Hopefully, that will help the veterans maintain their close knit community while allowing newbies a chance to be a part of this community without being chastised for it. I appreciate the Veterans concerns, but guys, seriously, you need to stop treating the newbies so poorly. It represents FCP very poorly and I don't like it. Try to be a little more kind to the newbies. Anyway, let me know if you guys think adding a Veterans forum would be something you'd all like to see and I'll get it done.
I don't agree with doing it by post count....I have been on FCP before its current form.....but I choose not to post to berate someone or post just to make posts. Perhaps making it by registration date??Basshuntr
it wouldn't be a veteran's forum if it were by date. someone could have registered on day one, fell into a coma on day two, and woke up today an FCP veteran.i mean, other than the sympathy factor, why would you let the guy who was in a coma be a forum vet?