Advice for Daniel

It doesn't seem like bad advice. On the flip side, DN has never seemed like the kind of degenerate gambler that's going to wind up in the gutter one day, looking for a stake, so he can probably figure out for himself when to change gears.
Like many great players, DN has gone broke before. I severely doubt that would ever happen again with all his outside interests, and he is most likely both a better player, and better at managing his BR then he was when he was younger.I _believe_ DN has been quoted as saying he doesn't like to play unless the stakes are high enough that it hurts to lose. If he feels that way, then I couldn't see him stepping down to lower levels.Patrick
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you suggest he do the opposite of what's always worked for him?BTW, the last time he played lower limits he was criticized for weeks for it. I'll admit it was different than what you're talking about, but I think he's better off doing what makes him happy and what he thinks is smart, and not listen to the critics and the advice givers.

And his backswing is too long, he has a strong grip, he is coming over the top due to his open stance, his weight shift is non existent giving him a reverse C and his clubs are too heavy for him...I reccomend a C-8 swing weight.

Brownbeard...please continue with your thoughtful advice.....at least you care about the real Daniel's well being.Advice is exactly that......ADVICE.....to the rest of you j@ckasses!!!He is not telling Daniel what to do, but simply offering his perspective for someone that he is looking out for. I'm sure Daniel does not NEED this advice but I'm sure he would be pleased that someone was actually looking out for his best interest and not just making smart ass comments in the forum to appear cool. As I said in a previous thread, I am an old friend of Daniel's since BEFORE he started playing poker.....and I have had similar thoughts to Brownbeard's lately after hearing about the most recent losses.

Brownbeard...please continue with your thoughtful advice.....at least you care about the real Daniel's well being.Advice is exactly that......ADVICE.....to the rest of you j@ckasses!!!He is not telling Daniel what to do, but simply offering his perspective for someone that he is looking out for. I'm sure Daniel does not NEED this advice but I'm sure he would be pleased that someone was actually looking out for his best interest and not just making smart ass comments in the forum to appear cool. As I said in a previous thread, I am an old friend of Daniel's since BEFORE he started playing poker.....and I have had similar thoughts to Brownbeard's lately after hearing about the most recent losses.
I love you T-Dot, even if you are blind and gay...
You will soon be going the way of toogood I think.
See?? That's what I mean!!!Is that the most intelligent thing you could think of??Brownbeard.....don't even waste your time with these people. That comment right there just took away all of my hopes for anything even resembling an intellectual conversation.None of these people know what Daniel's reation would be to your advice.....so don't even worry about it. I'm quite sure that he would appreciate the gesture.....even if he did not necessarily agree with you.However, as I was saying before....I was thinking the same thing as you.I am an OLD friend and I am very proud of Daniel as well.....and the comments that you made were simply that of a concerned friend/fan....and not an arrogant, ignorant fool like most of the other people that responded to this thread.
The in bold part may be the dumbest thing I will ever read. He has no perspective, HE DOESN'T KNOW DANIEL. He only knows what Daniel tells him through his blog. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. How can you possibly rationalize giving life advice about money, etc. to someone you've never met. He's not on the pipe or anything and you have no idea how much cash he has to burn. Maybe this downswing doesn't effect him. Maybe he like to be busy and can't function at a slower pace. The point is, IT'S HIS LIFE. Only those close to him should offer their advice.And an old friend isn't someone that is the cousin of a kid that was in the third grade with Daniel.

I think Brownbeard is just articulating the pain that I'm sure we all feel when we read about a bad night at the tables for DN. 'Been a long run of bad nights it seems.I personally cling to the hope that losing half a million in one night is just a drop in the bucket for DN, but none of us really knows except DN.Gambling is like heroin to some people. If a good friend was shooting up too much, wouldn't you feel compelled to give some advice?If DN ended up broke, it would'nt be the first, nor last, great player to do so.Anyways... I don't think its cool to rip Brownbeard to shreds for being concerned.

I think Brownbeard is just articulating the pain that I'm sure we all feel when we read about a bad night at the tables for DN. 'Been a long run of bad nights it seems.I personally cling to the hope that losing half a million in one night is just a drop in the bucket for DN, but none of us really knows except DN.Gambling is like heroin to some people. If a good friend was shooting up too much, wouldn't you feel compelled to give some advice?If DN ended up broke, it would'nt be the first, nor last, great player to do so.Anyways... I don't think its cool to rip Brownbeard to shreds for being concerned.
I can't read your post. I love the avatar though. Ron Mexico, do you make Royal shave his beard, or does it tickle your taint? Maybe you could ask him to brownbeard you...J
And an old friend isn't someone that is the cousin of a kid that was in the third grade with Daniel.
Correction buddy....I was in the 3rd grade with him!!!
I sit corrected.and J, nice joke. I liked it. I shave the taint.
Gambling is like heroin to some people.  If a good friend was shooting up too much, wouldn't you feel compelled to give some advice?
Yes, if it was a good friend, not someone I never met. I'm sure if Daniel seems to have a problem that he isn't aware of, there will be people close to him giving him genuine advice that's actually based on something.
Anyways... I don't think its cool to rip Brownbeard to shreds for being concerned.
He's like a Jehova's Witness... (ahhhh, no thank you Mr. Watchtower, I got all the advice I need) and they deserve to be ripped to shreds :club:
Yes, if it was a good friend, not someone I never met.
Reading DN's blog is like reading a diary. Almost nothing apparently is off-limits for Daniel to share with us FCP participants. We see every penny that is won or lost, hear about his religious views, politics, vegetarianism... etc. Christ, he even let us all know when he was going to propose to Lori before she even knew. Many of us know more about Daniel than we do about our own family members. I don't buy that you must "meet" him face to face to have any insight into his situation.Daniel can choose to ignore any advice he wants, from anybody, but that shouldn't stop people from stating their opinion.We all have two things in common here... we like poker, and think DN is a pretty cool dude. I know there are morons here, but I just have a problem with people who can't keep the dialogue somewhat positive.
Anyways, the advice was for Daniel, not you jackasses.  I hope he sees it and listens to it.  Canadians feel a lot of pride to see Daniel excelling and we wish him only the best.  I feel sorry for you poor, bitter, losing players...
You said you sent him an email before. Why not send another? If he chooses not to respond, oh well. This advice came off as insulting IMHO. I'm sure DN can figure out his own job.edit: If DN needs career advice, he has a number of very successful poker pro friends to give him counsel.