starting hands requirements seem a bit low for dn

Is it just me or does it look like DN is *maybe* playing too many hands. I would NEVER play some of those starting cards, but hey I am just some lowly slub so what do I know? I really enjoy watching DN on TV and reading his blog, but I am concerned about his play lately. :club: Anyone else feeling this way?OH , and I suppose I will be FLAMED to a well done for sharing my thoughts, so I will be sure to put on my flame retardent suit. :wink:

Actually I agree. The hands that he was playing pre flop were K9, 34, 68 in the BB, a naked Ace, and a pair of queens (he did not say if it was a Pocket Pair).hmmm....sounds like a good way to lose 400K plus...

You can play a LOT more hands preflop if you have great confidence that you can out play your opponent on the flop. That is the art of no limit. As I am sure you have heard a million times "Sometims it doesn't matter what your cards are if you know what the other person's cards are".

There are plusses and negatives to every kind of starting hand. Some of the hands that Daniel plays and plays well can result in him winning some pretty big pots. The downside to these cards Daniel plays is that its much easier to hit the flop very hard and still be outflopped. Or its possible to hit very hard, and the opponent will still have a nice draw that won't be folded and you lose the pot later.Daniel might be better served by tightening up some.

I think every NL Holdem poker player should start by just playing short stacked with monster hands only, cheap flops with mid-plus-pairs, and limps from the BB. And as they progress, they get the option to play <B>more hands</b> slowly. Still a lot of AK and JJ hands to master before you can do pull the rare K9s or 45s.DN can play what he wants and can take advice from other pros near his level.

I would imagine the way the big game players play in quite a lot different to how the likes of us would. To be a winner in that game its not possible(IMO) to play ABC poker raising X amount on the button with AK,folding AK in first position...blah,blah....im pretty sure they will be playing allsorts of two cards and constantly changing gears...alot of psychology as well.

*Taking off my flame retardent suit*It is correct that DN can out play most after the flop, and I know little about the BIG GAME and the people who play there, but I would think the basics of hand selection still make sense. Mixing it up once in a while is fine, but WOW it sure seems like DN is playing a lot of these hands.I want to make it perfectly clear again that I am a big fan of DN and I really enjoy watching him play poker. I am not giving any advice to him or any other pro player. I am just sharing my thoughts on his current down turn. I understand that I am just a lowly low limit home game player and would never think I know best. :wink: *Slipping my flame retardent suit back on*

Loose-aggressive and tight-aggressive are both winning styles if your reading ability is high. And we know Daniel has an amazing read. Tight play is designed to limit your encounters with tough decisions. But if you're comfortable facing tough decisions, and choose the correct answer enough to make you a winning player, why wouldn't you increase the frequency of having an edge by playing more pots?

Mike Caro wrote in his section in SS2 something I think is pretty insightful. If you have two good players, one can play twice as many hands as the other, and they can still have the same win rate. Why? Because with marginal hands, a good player will about break even. If you know what to do with marginal hands, you shouldn't have a problem. You might induce action on good hands when you play more marginal hands though.You lose money on marginal hands when you make mistakes like holding on too long.

Not sure if he's playing too loose, I tend to think he is playing the same game he's always played....if you know anything about DN's style he loves post flop play. I think the problem is a slight run of bad luck. Plus, you can kid yourself all you want, but there is a lot of "gambling" going on. Farha was in the game....I've seen him snap off aces in a live NL game with 3-8 off when all he hit was the 3 on the flop.... nuff said.

in NL cash games the better a player you become, the more hands you can play. Good players can take a flop with a weak hand and because they can make good reads can A) steal pots or B) hit their hand say K9 with a K on the flop and still get away from it without suffering a big loss and C) win huge pots because of +EV against a strong starting hand ex. AA and finally D) mix up their hand selection causing there oponents fits when attempting to put them on a hand. I think DN playing these weakish starting hands shows his post flop ability but unfortunately he's been getting sucked out on continuously

From 6:00pm to 8:00pm on day two I did get a little too steamed up and saw too many flops with J-6, or J-3 suited. However, overall throughout the three days I played all the hands I'm supposed to play. INCLUDING the 6-8, 3-4, A-7, 10-5 off suit... etc. This game isn't at all about what you start with.

I disagree. Although he has played hands weaker than I usually do, there is likely a method to the madness. People always see Gus Hansen play low cards so they immediately copy his style. However, they do not realize what position he is in, whether or not he is setting them up for a big call later, and who knows what else.

Daniel- Thank you so much for replying to my post. I am glad that things turned around for you the last day. Your style is so different than mine (must be why I am NOT a pro) and goes against what many of the books say to do, that I don't always understand your moves at times. That being said I still love watching you on TV. You continue to be one of the best TV poker characters out there.Can't wait to see you on GSN. I hope this gets good ratings and they do more of the High Stakes games.... I am really getting sick of the Comedians VS. The Pros or the Old Farts VS. The Wet Behind the Ears Good Luck

Daniel seems to have tried to alter his game a bit and mix it up by getting involved in more pots..ala Gus Hansen. Think of it like this....Although Tiger Woods was the best golfer in the world in 2000, he felt that if he really wanted to dominate the sport and play up to "his" expectations, he would have to totally revamp his swing. Because Daniel is a profectionist and student of poker, he is still learning and growing as a player. In order for him to truly dominate the sport he is developing his game to the next level. Watch out for Daniel in '06. You heard it from me first. __ICEMAN

From 6:00pm to 8:00pm on day two I did get a little too steamed up and saw too many flops with J-6, or J-3 suited. However, overall throughout the three days I played all the hands I'm supposed to play. INCLUDING the 6-8, 3-4, A-7, 10-5 off suit... etc. This game isn't at all about what you start with.
Wasn't the game playing shorter handed than most of us would consider the average NL ring game? The addition of antes to the mix would lead to a different strategy than the ABC poker that a lot of us would come to expect (I'm not sure why people would expect you to play ABC poker, since that seems to be completely the opposite of your style).

I am envious of the way Daniel played over the course of the three days. Not only do I think he played well, I wish I had the courage to play a more loose-agressive style more often! Without getting into too many specifics already mentioned (such as him playing short-handed, with antes, and against some of the best players in the world in a cash game), the bottom line was he got his money in with the best in all the big pots(minus a couple admittedly bad calls). Barring a few bad river cards (and keeping his mouth shut for 1 more minute with Antonio...lol), our man potentially banks close to seven figures for the three day cash game. How would I celebrate? I dunno, maybe:Week1: CarribeanWeek2: European cruiseWeek3: ''Week4: Travel Canada and a new hockey game each night (not really, but I think Daniel would like it!)

I don't get it.......how can people make negative statements about a top pros style in the highest stake ring game there is with the best poker minds in the world. These players have "War and Peace" sized tell-false tell, voice infliction, posture, iris size read books on each other. They see it all......and play accordingly. It can't possibly make ANY sense to any of us who read a few words on a Blog. A three day game at that table would have all of us scratching various parts of our body and looking for a new hobby. It's a different game at that level.......one that we don't have a right to condemn.....without sitting in the chair.