would you cheat????

I can't believe people are rationalizing this as human nature. Cheating is not instinct. People cheat bc they're lazy ****ing bastards.I honestly can't believe the results. I guess I had too high regard for humanity.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jtabletop: Would you use a program that showed everyone's hole cards?avg. poster: What do you mean? Once? Continually? With no repercussion?jtabletop: Would you use a program that showed everyone's hole cards?avg. poster: Honestly?jtabletop: Would you use a program that showed everyone's hole cards?avg. poster: Well, honestly, I guess I might use it for a couple hands, but I would feel pretty ba--jtabletop: Scumbag!!
confused me. whats your point
confused me. whats your point
Sorry. I get a little cryptic at times.My point is that it looks like you made this thread just so you could call people scumbags.
No, I'd not cheat.I'm agnostic, so it's not based on religious views, or being afraid of doing something illegal. If it harms or takes advantage of another person, it's just plain wrong. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.If I get home from the grocery store, and noticed they did not charge me for a $2. item, I will go back the next do to pay for it.Yes, they look at me like I'm crazy.
now thats just stupid. your gonna waste gas going back to the grocery store and pay for a $2 item? that company doesnt need your $2. stop being ridiculous.

It's kind of a question of integrity really. I just simply would not do it because I would be sacrificing my integrity to do it, something I'm simply unwilling to do. If I go out losing, I'll take it on the chin like a man, not be a coward and cheat my way to victory.I think when you have people willing to cheat, that is what gives the game of poker a bad name, sadly I think the majority of people would cheat if they had the chance to do it and I would almost expect them to as well.

confused me.  whats your point
Sorry. I get a little cryptic at times.My point is that it looks like you made this thread just so you could call people scumbags.
ahh i see. no not the point of the post. was just curious
I can't believe people are rationalizing this as human nature.  Cheating is not instinct.  People cheat bc they're lazy censored bastards.I honestly can't believe the results.  I guess I had too high regard for humanity.
Yes, you probably do hold people in too high of a regard. Would most people return a $100 bill they found on the street when nobody is looking? I really think most would not. If I lost something, would I expect it to be returned? Heck no, I'd be living in a dream world if I felt I'd get it back.
I can't believe people are rationalizing this as human nature.  Cheating is not instinct.  People cheat bc they're lazy censored bastards.I honestly can't believe the results.  I guess I had too high regard for humanity.
Yes, you probably do hold people in too high of a regard. Would most people return a $100 bill they found on the street when nobody is looking? I really think most would not. If I lost something, would I expect it to be returned? Heck no, I'd be living in a dream world if I felt I'd get it back.
if i didnt see who dropped the $100 and its sitting there on the street i keep it, and i feel fine about it. if i saw a person drop it i would return it. if i saw a $100 bill sitting in someones house on the floor, i return it. if i saw a credit card i would find someway to return it becuase i has their name on it. so the situation matters...
No, I'd not cheat.I'm agnostic, so it's not based on religious views, or being afraid of doing something illegal.  If it harms or takes advantage of another person, it's just plain wrong.  I wouldn't be able to live with myself.If I get home from the grocery store, and noticed they did not charge me for a $2. item, I will go back the next do to pay for it.Yes, they look at me like I'm crazy.
now thats just stupid. your gonna waste gas going back to the grocery store and pay for a $2 item? that company doesnt need your $2. stop being ridiculous.
Wow.Jump to conclusions, then tell someone that they are being stupid and ridiculous.Gotta admit, nh, didn't expect that....ok I'll play.Tthe "company", regardless of it's size, is owned by a human being. And it matters that a human being is being affected. If there is a "leak" in the way things are being done, they might want to fix it. Okay, so a huge corporation...2$ big deal. But what if it's independantly owned by your neighbor?This store is owned by a family. Am I still being stupid?As far as wasting gas. I pass this store every day, on my way to and from work. Relatively speaking, I don't do much driving...fill my tank up maybe twice a month. So yeah, going back cost me like 25 cents. Am I still being ridiculous?Regardless of the above. I just like to be "square" on things I do in life. I just like paying for things that I receive. Yeah, I'm an idiot.
if i didnt see who dropped the $100 and its sitting there on the street i keep it, and i feel fine about it. if i saw a person drop it i would return it. if i saw a $100 bill sitting in someones house on the floor, i return it. if i saw a credit card i would find someway to return it becuase i has their name on it. so the situation matters...
ok. this is not a per situation topic. cheating or stealing has no fine line. you either cheat or don't cheat. you either take something from someone else without there knowledge and that is stealing. it's very simple.
Bunch of hoodlums!  If an old lady fell on the street and had a million in her purse, would you help her up and then rob her too?      .
no, I probably wouldn't help her up. I wouldn't want her to see my face for the police sketches. Besides, if an old lady is keeping a million dollars in her puse and walking around without bodyguards, she deserves to be robbed! :club: in All honesty, I think I probably would use a program like this if I had it at my disposal, I doubt I'd be able to resist the urge. However, I would probably only use it in tournaments where any one person is only going to lose their buyin, and I would not be the only winner at the game.

i think its interesting to find so much moral high ground in a game where deception itself is a cornerstone. morality is a funny thing, when i was little i watched a lion kill a helpless zebra with a broken leg on tv and i swore i would hate lions forever. a lot of people play poker for fun, for a challenge etc etc, if u play strictly 100% for the money and for no other reason, u could not turn down that situation. it would be cheating yes, but if making money was ur only reason for playing poker, then u would have to do it.

There are three categories of people with respect to this topic:A) People who won't cheat on principleB) People who won't cheat because of fear of punishment C) People who will cheat knowing there is a significant chance of getting caughtWhen there is enough money involved there is always a risk of getting caught - if you do it long enough. It reminds me of a radio interview I heard. A former bank robber said - if you could plan and execute a bank job once, you'd be guaranteed to get away with it. But if you keep doing them, you will eventually get caught. Just about every bank robber he knew was NOT able to stop until they got caught.I believe that cheating is an addiction. You start cheating in one thing, rationalizing to yourself that it's really okay and risk free. That inevitably leads to other, riskier forms of cheating. Eventually you are going to get caught, or cheat the wrong person and then - lookout.So this is some advice to the kiddies here: you should view the opportunity to cheat as a life-changing event. If you start cheating, you will almost inevitably become a habitual cheater. You will find it increasingly difficult to resist the impulse to cheat. Real hard work will become alien to you - you'd think to yourself, why do things the hard way, when I can cheat?

it would be cheating yes, but if making money was ur only reason for playing poker, then u would have to do it.I don't think more than a tiny minority of poker players play poker for the money alone. In fact I don't think that the vast majority of people do ANYTHING just for money, though it's true that people can get trapped into doing things they hate because they need the money to survive.

For the poster who pointed out the deception inherent in the game of poker, that is a completely different thing.It's in the structure of the game. Hockey players don't get upset when their rivals lay a crunching bodycheck on them (it's part and parcel of the game), but they might object if some yahoo assaulted them at the shopping mall.Poker players expect other players to try to deceive them about the strength of their hands; they all know it and do it.Equating this to cheating is the same as accusing actors of being phonies when you go to the theatre: the portrayal of emotions that are not 100% genuine is part and parcel of the performance itself, and understood to be such by both performer and audience.

ok. this is not a per situation topic. cheating or stealing has no fine line. you either cheat or don't cheat. you either take something from someone else without there knowledge and that is stealing. it's very simple.
I am sorry I disagree with this. Situations always matter.If I see 100 bucks lying randomly on the street it is now my 100 bucks. Finders keepers.

Cheat to win? Are you serious? You're not winning if you do, you're stealing and then bragging about it, totally lying to yourself, pretending you are great, when in actuality you just suck. It's pathetic.But I know you're all just kidding, .........right? Best...

I will go one step further in this character study. I would do it, but to make myself feel better I would buy an office building and stock it with computers. I would then pay homeless people to play for me and give them a percentage of the winnings (I mean stealings). Maybe the karma of helping the bums would cancel out the stealing. Maybe, I don't know.

Totally depends on the situation. I normally wouldn't do it, but right now I'm fiending money, and that's all there is to it.With regards to DN's reply: You have more money than everyone on this site combined (I would think so, anyway), so I don't think your opinion is entirely valid. Maybe if you were broke now, and had no way or attaining money that you probably need, I bet your response would be totally different.Anyways, no I would NOT steal from an old woman or my best friend, but I would probably try out "cheating" while playing poker online. Sure they have family, but you don't know them, so you aren't really affected. Also, it's not like they absolutely need the money, either. Most of these people are gambling online for a reason, and it isn't to make a living or feed the kids.P.S. You could look at it as giving yourself an edge, not cheating.

Cheat to win? Are you serious? You're not winning if you do, you're stealing and then bragging about it, totally lying to yourself, pretending you are great, when in actuality you just suck. It's pathetic.But I know you're all just kidding, .........right?  Best...
No, I'm pretty sure most are not kidding here
Totally depends on the situation. I normally wouldn't do it, but right now I'm fiending money, and that's all there is to it.With regards to DN's reply: You have more money than everyone on this site combined (I would think so, anyway), so I don't think your opinion is entirely valid. Maybe if you were broke now, and had no way or attaining money that you probably need, I bet your response would be totally different.P.S. You could look at it as giving yourself an edge, not cheating.
His opinion is entirely valid here being that he's been on both sides of the spectrum and been broke and been wealthy as he is now. Daniel's been broke many many times and I think that's been well documented. When your a professional poker player and you go broke, that is not a good thing considering you need money in your hands to make money. You would have to borrow money in order to play, then have the added pressure of needing to win in order to pay back your lender and make enough money for yourself to get by as well. Not exactly a good situation to be in, but Daniel's gone through it.