if you won a seat...

I won a seat in this years WSOP...I gotta tell you the experience and fun of being out there and then playing in the event, far exceeded the 10K..I even got real close to the money and still wouldnt change it. There is nothing like it.

Expenses paid, I go on a free vacation and roll the bones at the table. Expenses out of pocket, I would take the cash, add it to my bankroll, and jump to 5/10 online.

i'm assuming that the choice comes up when you've entered a satellite and won, in which case, i entered the satellite wanting the seat, i achieved the goal, so i'm taking the seat. if i wanted to win 10k cash, i'd play in a tournament where i'd win 10k cash.this is different than someone just walking up to you and offering you the choice between a WSOP main event seat or 10k on the spot. in that situation, i just take the cash and go play some satellites, and then take the seat.

You're all crazy!If the entry is worth exactly the amount of cash (ie. the cash covers the buyin+fee, and if flights+accomodation are in the entry then you get the cash value of those too) then you take the cash. Invest it up until just before entries close and then buy the entry. Why would you tie up $10k for any length of time? (Now investment might be putting in a term deposit for some, might be playing some poker for others, and lots in between).If the entry is worth more than the cash then you need to work out if the extra amount is more than what you expect to gain by investing as above. If so the entry is worth taking.If the cash is worth more than the entry then it's a no brainer take the cash and buy the cheaper entry later :) That's an unlikely situation though...Note that tax is a huge factor if you have to pay tax on the cash but not on the entry then it's unlikely you can get that back via the investing step, so take the entry.Of course taking the entry and converting it to cash in vegas by selling it to someone else might provide a way to skip the tax thing if you are willing to break the law a lot (and you play online poker, right, so chances are you are)...

i finished 2nd a couple of weeks ago in the dbl shootout for the wpt in the bahamas........and I think if I won I would have taken the trip....would have been a once in a lifetime opportunity to play with all the prosand whats money anyways?

I think that, maybe, the people who choose a $10k ticket over $10k should be informed that money can be used to purchase goods, services AND entry into poker tournaments. You essentially won $10k and shortly after, are given a sales pitch with respect to what you should do with it.You should be AT BEST indifferent to the two choices.

I'm in school for two more years, so 10K is looking good.I think tho that a good option would be taking the cash, then putting aside a little for a smaller WSOP event later the next year.In a 1500 or 4K event, you can still win a bracelet, have a blast, and get your real life tourney experience.I'd do that if I wasn't in school. If it was today, I'd take that cash and kindly transfer it to Drexel. :x

I'm taking the money.  I certainly plan to play in the WSOP someday, but $10k would go a long way toward giving me the chance to play high enough to find out if I can really hack it in this game long-term.
I like this answer so far the best. You're right, 10k would make for a decent bankroll and you could parlay it into another 10k by the time the WSOP comes around if you're a semi-decent player you can register on a total freeroll...But shoot, I'm taking the seat every time. I've always wanted the experience to go to the WSOP. I know I won't win it, but my god...just to sit down in that huge ballroom and play shoulder to shoulder with 100's of other sweaty internet winners...well...sign me right up!