phil ivey vs. daniel negreanu poll

You'd need to make Negreanu take it seriously enough to make it a really good contest. You need to either make the prize pool HUGE or tell him that the poker world thinks Ivey is a huge huge favorite to win. Make him feel his back is against the wall and you'd have the HU match of the century. :)But seriously, it would be a very good matchup. Especially if it wasn't horse and they had choose the game selection by voting and veto until they had like 6-8 games. Ivey surely does play more Big Game and crushes it convincingly, but it's not like Negreanu doesn't play it or do well in it either.The big thing here is Daniel would need to be motivated. Ivey appears always motivated by default.

You'd need to make Negreanu take it seriously enough to make it a really good contest. You need to either make the prize pool HUGE or tell him that the poker world thinks Ivey is a huge huge favorite to win. Make him feel his back is against the wall and you'd have the HU match of the century. :)But seriously, it would be a very good matchup. Especially if it wasn't horse and they had choose the game selection by voting and veto until they had like 6-8 games. Ivey surely does play more Big Game and crushes it convincingly, but it's not like Negreanu doesn't play it or do well in it either.The big thing here is Daniel would need to be motivated. Ivey appears always motivated by default.
are u telling me a million dollars is not enough motivation let alone bragging rights for the entire yr of 2005. get real!!!by the way Ivey's poker income for 2004 is estimated at $13 million which is more then double that of Negreanu. i could be wrong, any reliable source is welcomed.so it is Phil Ivey hands down.it's like picking would u rather win several major tournaments or be the KING of 4K-8K. PHIL IVEY U'RE THE FREAKING MAN!!!
My money is on Daniel. I don't think this would even be close..
not even a close match?? lets just talk tournaments alone. Ivey has 4 wsop bracelets and 4 wtp final tables. u're right, before daniel's win at the bellagio WTP this wouldn't even be considered a close match.

Wow, my allegiances are torn on this one. Along with Lederer, these are my two favorite players. If nothing else, it's an excellent question- I'd pay to see it. I don't think there's any doubt that they would both be motivated for this. It would be like the Super Bowl of poker. There's definitely no clear favorite- if you played 100 times I doubt either would win more than 60- I think I would have to go with Ivey just because of the strong presence of stud games, which seem to be a little lower on Daniel's list. Daniel has the edge in limit hold 'em, in my opinion. If you put a gun to my face I'd say Ivey but I don't even know who I would root for. Someone set this up!

What I see Is a need for format...If the format warrant the best post flop play DN wins... but ivey will be allin alot... and I dont like that... its a great style... and DN might have the disadvantage because hes too smart to call BS allin bets head up... to much luck there... and hes not stupid...If ivey plays that style its luck... you might as well flip a coin... but if flops are seen DN would take it easily...

Phil Ivey's record makes it really appealing for me to take his side on this discussion for the obvious reasons that everyone has brought up so far. But, Daniel still has too amazing a record as well for me to just settle on that. They are simply two different beasts, masters of their games.No one can deny that Daniel is by far the top tournament player around. Phil Ivey is the top cash game player around right now. Both have been dominating each world, respectively, for a limited amount of time in recent years. Heads up play is a completely different world. Daniel is amazing at cutting through huge tournament fields and relies on quickly derived reads on people who are new to him. Phil Ivey is tremendously successful in the big game, a single table with familiar faces who just happen to all be top, world class players.To make a guess, even an educated one, just seems to tough to me. Damnit! I am going to be thinking about this one for a while.

What I see Is a need for format...If the format warrant the best post flop play DN wins... but ivey will be allin alot... and I dont like that... its a great style... and DN might have the disadvantage because hes too smart to call BS allin bets head up... to much luck there... and hes not stupid...If ivey plays that style its luck... you might as well flip a coin... but if flops are seen DN would take it easily...
w/ a million dollar buy-in, the format should be 20k-40k. when playing a heads-up freeze-out, the blinds are bounce up double when the hrs gets too long and both parties have to agree on it. remember this is a H.O.R.S.E freeze-out, games consisting of stud, omaha, holdem, 2-7 triple draw, and razz. so winning on a coin flip is highly unlikely.phil ivey's been known for sitting around till a game breaks and trust me, very few in the world wants to be the only guy sitting at his table.the question is simply. in a one-time heads-up freeze-out, who would u put MONEY on?!?!?!

If you had to choose between the two to save the world via poker vs.randomn terrorists of the world, tournament: Daniel, hands down. his ability to strategize and read unfamiliar people is friggin amazing.the devil, heads up: Phil Ivey. Somehow, I don't think he'd be intimidated by the devil. wouldnt let it get to him.aliens, standard format tournament: I'd take Daniel. he adjusts his game very well to his surroundings. Having been in more tournaments involving men the master, daniel probably would fare ok even if they were colluding. Even if they don't collude like Men the Master and his 'employees', his odd appearance certainly prepares Daniel for any potential oddities in the aliens' appearance.A vengeful God, old testament style:Phil. Daniel is too God-fearing to play his A-game against God, even if he had been assured by the New Testament god that it would be aiight to beat the old god.The old timers greats of poker: Ivey. He could tilt Amarrillo and some of the others just by being black.The future greats of Poker:Daniel. Lets face it. Daniel is the future of tournament poker. he has bridged the gap between amazing poker instincts and smart strategy, incorperating an awareness of the modern online poker player and how to counteract it. "all in hmmm. do you play poker online. yes, yes i do all right. I call."

*yawn*So many know-it-alls here.Why even bother with these questions that can't be answered? Any why are asking us? Maybe ask a pro, asking us is like asking a high school biology student for the cure for cancer. Also one heads up match clearly doesn't decide who the better players is, they'd have to play for a very long time or many, many sessions before that could be determined.

-jensen said; So many know-it-alls here.asking us is like asking a high school biology student for the cure for cancer. -we know that. i hope. :wink: jensen said;Why even bother with these questions that can't be answered?-fun/entertainment....poker on the brain.

*yawn*So many know-it-alls here.Why even bother with these questions that can't be answered?  Any why are asking us?  Maybe ask a pro, asking us is like asking a high school biology student for the cure for cancer...
I work at home and get distracted and bored easily, give a guy a break man!

Hold'emOmahaRazzStudStud/8I think Ivey's got a bit of an advantage, here. Only because he's probably the best stud player in the world right now. I doubt Daniel's a bad stud player, but Phil Ivey's significantly better at Hold'em than Daniel is at Stud. And that's probably where the money's won and lost, in my opinion. Give it to Phil Ivey, 55/45Ice

This would all be settled if they'd play my mixed game HOOTERS.Hold 'EmOmahaOmaha 8Triple Draw (2-7)Eight (stud eight)RazzStudThen it would be Daniel all the way. He has the edge in Hold 'Em, both Omaha games, he cruises in triple draw and Ivey wins all the stud games.

I have to say IVEY.. He has consistently beaten the BIG GAME for a few years now... Daniel has not been playing the big game that long. Also as far as Phil Iveys Income... look at the numbers... 4000/8000... 1 big bet an hour... x 50 hrs(very conservative.. he plays about 80 a wk)... x 45 weeks(7weeks off) =18,000,000imagine if he won 2 BB per hour... lol... thats just sick..

Guest XXEddie

recently, it is no contest in favor of Negreanu since he has be so sucesful recently. but overall, it is hard to tell. both are very close, 4 WSOP bracelets for phil 3 WSOP for daniel. 2 final tables on the WPT for ivey, 5 including 2 wins for daniel(check that, i might be wrong) We will have to wait a long time before we can say who is better

That would be a heck of a match. I don't have a pick as it is probably as close as it can get in any kind of professional match-up you could dream up. It would take hundreds of these matches to get any real accurate idea of who was outplaying who.But, hypothetically, if they were to do this just once. $1 million dollar buy-in, so it hurts. I don't agree with the idea that the structure be 20k/40k. This would essentially make it a standard buy-in cash game. It could be over quite quickly set up as such. No, let's make this a marathon. Make endurance a factor, which from what I understand, is what truly sets Ivey apart from his peers. Lower the levels, 1k/2k or 2k/4k. Let them go at it and get a lot of play in. For kicks, you could through in a couple of pot limit or no limit games, omaha, holdem, and 2-7 lowball. Put a cap on those of 80k that can be lost in a single hand. The longer this thing went, the better, though I don't think either of these guys has too much time. My question, how long would such a battle last? Would either of these guys cave when they got down in chips 1.7 million to 300k? That is where I think it would be interesting. Because even at that point, say you have 300k chips, the levels are 1k/2k or even 2k/4k, you still have plenty of chips, but do you have the will to come back? This is where Daniel could really get tough.

I often find these threads very humorous since most of the opinions while fun, are based on very little practical knowledge. If anyone can answer this question it would be Phil, myself, or other high limit players who've had the opportunity to play with both of us. Nonetheless, here is my take on the whole debate: both of us play a similar style and have a similar approach to the game. Having said that Phil has spent most of the last year playing in the big game, while I've had little to no time for that and concentrated more on tournaments and the business side of poker. I think answering this question blanketly wouldn't do it justice. It would be better to look at it in several phases:Who would do better in big no limit tournament right now? Me. I've been getting deep quite a bit and my head is in tune with the tournaments right now while Phil has been busting out early on a regular basis possibly more preoccupied with the big game. Who would do better in the big game right now? Phil. It's all about what you are in a groove with. Phil plays in that game every day while I only pop in occasionally. He is in tune with how everyone is playing, their moods, what works, what doesn't. When I show up I'm naturally a little rusty.Who would win if we played heads up? Who knows! One thing is for sure we'll never find out. Phil and I are friends and it's highly unlikely that we would waste our time playing heads up when we could be earning money elsewhere. I think Phil would have a clear advantage over me in some games while I'd have some advantages over him in others. If he wanted to play triple draw, limit hold'em, and Omaha H/L with me I think I'd have an edge. If on the other hand the game was Pot limit Omaha, Stud, and Stud H/L I don't think I'd be in very good shape against him.

Phil ivey hands down. He is the best player in the world by far in cash games, and also the richest poker player in the world on PURE poker winnings. Notice phil ivey does not do any sponsorships or endorsements. He does not brag about himself or even say much of anything. he got his respect from playing poker 18 hours a day in the biggest game for the last 5 years. If the 4000-8000 mixed game was televised, everybody would agree phil ivey is the best, and people would be asking...where has daniel negreaneu been lately and why has he only been playing tournaments?Think about it this way. If you play in a 4000-8000 game every day, a $10000 tournament is peanuts and relative in size to one big bet in your daily game. so if you play 2-4 hold em every day.......how much emphasis are you going to put on a $5 tournament that lasts 5 days and the winner gets 500 bucks. NOT MUCH, because in 5 days of playing 2-4 for 12 hours a day, you will make twice that. That is where phil ivey is coming from. ADAM
Phil Ivey is a member of Full Tilt Poker, so he has AT LEAST one large large endorsement going.

People forget that Ivey won his first of four bracelets in PLO against Amarillo Slim. Ivey did this at a very young age which is very hard as one thing I've noticed with PLO is that experience is even more valuable than hold em almost. So Phil has been PLO at an extremely high level since he was 22 and he's now 28 I think. He also has played in the big game for almost a year and a half now and has concentrated on that while Daniel has been killing the tourny scene. Remember Phil is also is in the top three of the best stud players in the world too

I often find these threads very humorous since most of the opinions while fun, are based on very little practical knowledge. If anyone can answer this question it would be Phil, myself, or other high limit players who've had the opportunity to play with both of us. Nonetheless, here is my take on the whole debate: both of us play a similar style and have a similar approach to the game. Having said that Phil has spent most of the last year playing in the big game, while I've had little to no time for that and concentrated more on tournaments and the business side of poker. I think answering this question blanketly wouldn't do it justice. It would be better to look at it in several phases:Who would do better in big no limit tournament right now? Me. I've been getting deep quite a bit and my head is in tune with the tournaments right now while Phil has been busting out early on a regular basis possibly more preoccupied with the big game. Who would do better in the big game right now? Phil. It's all about what you are in a groove with. Phil plays in that game every day while I only pop in occasionally. He is in tune with how everyone is playing, their moods, what works, what doesn't. When I show up I'm naturally a little rusty.Who would win if we played heads up? Who knows! One thing is for sure we'll never find out. Phil and I are friends and it's highly unlikely that we would waste our time playing heads up when we could be earning money elsewhere. I think Phil would have a clear advantage over me in some games while I'd have some advantages over him in others. If he wanted to play triple draw, limit hold'em, and Omaha H/L with me I think I'd have an edge. If on the other hand the game was Pot limit Omaha, Stud, and Stud H/L I don't think I'd be in very good shape against him.
sorry dude, players are not allowed to vote. who did u vote for by the way?? ehhehehehe