rank the pros by net worth

we have no idea but what do you think these guys are worth in relation to each other here's my rough rankingPhil HellmuthDoyle BrunsonBarry Greenstein Howard LedererDanielPhil IveyChris Fergusoni have no idea though - think any are worth over 50 mil?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Gordon tops the list if you count all monies inside and out of poker. Phil was employee #1 at Netsys Technologies when Cisco bought them out for $95 million. He never needs to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to.I also believe that Paul Phillips was also in the dot com craze early and sold a company reaping untold fortunes...

I can't even try to rank the above players in order, as it would be strictly conjecture, but from everything I've heard there's one name glaringly left off the list. By most accounts Chip Reese is the most successful cash game player over the past 30 or so years. I'm pretty sure he's got deeper pockets then all of those guys, and it's all from playing cards.

Phil Gordon tops the list if you count all monies inside and out of poker. Phil was employee #1 at Netsys Technologies when Cisco bought them out for $95 million. He never needs to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to.
If you count money outside of Poker than Paul Phillips ranks ahead of all of them he is worth hundreds of millions from when he sold his business. Also im assuming Doyle tops the list since he did offer to buy the WPT for 700 million in cash. Obviously he doesnt hae 700 mil but people wouldnt give him the difference if he was only putting but say 25 mil so he definitely has way more money than that how much though i wouldnt know.
If you count money outside of Poker than Paul Phillips ranks ahead of all of them he is worth hundreds of millions from when he sold his business. Also im assuming Doyle tops the list since he did offer to buy the WPT for 700 million in cash. Obviously he doesnt hae 700 mil but people wouldnt give him the difference if he was only putting but say 25 mil so he definitely has way more money than that how much though i wouldnt know.
Dealing with the Venture Capital market as I do, I'll guarantee if Doyle (who is Mr Poker) came to the VC I know with a proposal to buy WPT. They would definately take the meeting and listen. It's got the potential to be alot more of a money maker than it already is and $400 million would look like the $32 dollar deal the indians sold Manhattan for...
we have no idea but what do you think these guys are worth in relation to each other here's my rough rankingPhil HellmuthDoyle BrunsonBarry Greenstein Howard LedererDanielPhil IveyChris Fergusoni have no idea though - think any are worth over 50 mil?
I don't think Phil Hellmuth should be at the top of this list for sure. Other than that, it's hard to guage who is making more money as they all have so many business deals going now that who could possibly know unless you really researched it.

i don't think doyle needed a penny for that wpt bid - i think he had investors who just wanted his name on the deal - sort of like how michael jordan got his share of the wizards

Yeah, Phillips is likely ahead, the Netsys sale was less than $100MM, the Go2Net sale was around $4BB.Although I don't think Paul was employee #1, more like CTO (I've read about a Russ Horowitz who was founder and CEO).
If I was a CTO for a company like that back then, I would have had some serious stock options, so my guess is Paul did real well.

Phil Hellmuth is worth a couple million but remember he sticks mainly to tournements so his earnings are in that and sponsors.Paul Philips does have the company he sold , I would estimate he has about 50 million but that might be high Doyle Brunson has made a lot of money in cash games but a lot of it was back in the 70's and 80's so the money isnt worth as much. He also was noted not to make a lot last year but I still say hes worth 10-20 million.Barry Greenstein probably has to be one of the tops on the list because of his previous endeavors and also being a note worthy player in the cash games.Daniel Negreanu from his poker winnings alone makes him a million but probably takes the most advantage from outside projects so I would say in the 5-7 million range.Phil Ivey is noted to be one of the best cash game players and has made many final tables but is also a true gambler at heart and blows a lot of money on prop bets and craps. Greg Raymer Just on his world series win in 2k5 makes him the most winning tournement player in history but no one really knows if he made anything other then that or lost it.Chris Moneymaker After his 2004 victory in the WSOP it was rumoured that he lost a lot if not all of it in big side games but who knows.Johnny Chan is said to be worth quite a lot and is a regular at the big game in the bellagio, being one of the few that regulary turns a profit from that game.Players that I dont think even have a million money thats not credit to their name:Mike MatuasowGus Hansena lot more but I cant think right now.....someone add to this list if u can

Phil Hellmuth is worth a couple million but remember he sticks mainly to tournements so his earnings are in that and sponsors.Paul Philips does have the company he sold , I would estimate he has about 50 million but that might be high Doyle Brunson has made a lot of money in cash games but a lot of it was back in the 70's and 80's so the money isnt worth as much. He also was noted not to make a lot last year but I still say hes worth 10-20 million.Barry Greenstein probably has to be one of the tops on the list because of his previous endeavors and also being a note worthy player in the cash games.Daniel Negreanu from his poker winnings alone makes him a million but probably takes the most advantage from outside projects so I would say in the 5-7 million range.Phil Ivey is noted to be one of the best cash game players and has made many final tables but is also a true gambler at heart and blows a lot of money on prop bets and craps. Greg Raymer Just on his world series win in 2k5 makes him the most winning tournement player in history but no one really knows if he made anything other then that or lost it.Chris Moneymaker After his 2004 victory in the WSOP it was rumoured that he lost a lot if not all of it in big side games but who knows.Johnny Chan is said to be worth quite a lot and is a regular at the big game in the bellagio, being one of the few that regulary turns a profit from that game.Players that I dont think even have a million money thats not credit to their name:Mike MatuasowGus Hansena lot more but I cant think right now.....someone add to this list if u can
Mike Matusow has an unlimited amount of backers.

These net worth threads are interesting....My guess is that a guy like Helmouth is not worth anywhere near 50 mill...if he got to 3-5 mill he would be lucky...He does not play cash games has won very few high money tourneys....I watched Moneymaker play on Stars the other day and some rail birds where asking him about tourneys he has played this year..Money said that he has not played in any WPT tourneys this year...I'l make a wild guess as to why....MONEY or lack there of...Forget which pro said being on the Poker circut cost $250,000 a year..my top players worth are: DoyleGreensteinIveyGordon

I just looked up the Edgar documents on the Go2Net/Infospace merger. According to the documents, PP had 425,000 options that were vestable at the time of the buyout and that alone at the buyout price of $86.91 would have put him at $37 million. That doesn't even take into account any shares he may have owned previously, and if he didn't sell at that time, Infospace shares went down like the rest of the internet companies. If he still had all his shares today, he would only be worth a quarter of that (INSP 21.63).

Doyle is probably on the top of that list. I really don't know how high i would estimate his networth to be. I dont think it could be 50 million, but it's definately high. Espessially after that offer he put into buy the wpt. I wouldnt put lederer on that board, maybe not even ferguson. Chip reese should definately be up there.