phil at the wsop

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed how big the pot was to Magriel. I could understand Hellmuth getting upset about the KJ, but I don't know why he's get mad with the sevens. Wasn't Hellmuth very shortstacked?

Agreed, Phil is an acquired taste. He isn't my favorite player, but how can you not enjoy watching him play poker. Plus he spells it right.EDIT:If I brought the same approach as Phil does every day, then I would be a much better player. The way he plays or the way a Phil Ivey plays is a good model on approaching the game for up and coming players.

Gotta agree with Phil here. Who in the world would stick all their chips in with KJ to a Phil Hellmuth raise.
I hope you meant to put a (sw) after that......I'll repeat it for the one millionth time on these forums......Phil Hellmuth plays tons of hands...and raises every single one of them.....He is not that tight azz that people portray him as.....My thinking is that Hellmuth kept re-raising that guy and that guy was definately on tilt from his JT losing to 99 after he flopped a straight to the ace......and the guy said "fuk it allin with KJ"...OR...that guy is just a donkey.
Gotta agree with Phil here. Who in the world would stick all their chips in with KJ to a Phil Hellmuth raise.
I hope you meant to put a (sw) after that......I'll repeat it for the one millionth time on these forums......Phil Hellmuth plays tons of hands...and raises every single one of them.....He is not that tight azz that people portray him as.....My thinking is that Hellmuth kept re-raising that guy and that guy was definately on tilt from his JT losing to 99 after he flopped a straight to the ace......and the guy said "fuk it allin with KJ"...OR...that guy is just a donkey.
the guy was clearly just a donkey.
I'm I the only person around who actually likes Phil Hellmuth? I get the biggest kick out of him. Seriously though, you can't knock the guy's credentials.
I love watching him play. He does berate people though. Great

Here is why people dont like Phil:Phil calls a preflop raise with AJ. Flop is A, rag, rag. He calls a decent sized bet. Turns a J. Guy goes all in Phil calls. Guy has AQ and leaves graciously.If the roles were reversed, Phil would say,"I cant believe it! They just love getting there money in on me drawing dead. This is the worst poker I have ever seen. Wait a minute, let me see this. He calls my flop bet with AJ. Like I dont have that beat. I mean, come on, this guy is walking on water over here. I mean they are dying to get there money in with the worst of it. This is just so unfair! Im playing as well as I can play and these donkeys are just trying to give me their money. I mean come on."To be perfectly honest, I agree completley with Phil on the KJ hand. I also love watching Phil blow up like this. Its great. When he said, "This guy cant even spell poker." I was on the ground laughing. Phil is great for poker. I love watching him play.

alf- A Phil raise doesn't mean too much, but Phil re-raised. Earlier in the show he didn't even re-raise with JJ, so any observant player should have realized KJ was in deep trouble at this point. In the past you have written that Phil plays lots of hands. This is true, but from what little I've seen he likes to call with marginal hands and outmaneuver on later streets. When Phil re-raises preflop, he's usually there.

Is anyone going to mention the AK vs. AA hand?On a flop of A 4 4, he didn't put a penny into the pot post flop.Amazing fold.
It was a good fold.... but I don't think he put the other guy on pocket aces, He put him on pocket queens. I also think that phil is very entertaining and thought this was the best WSOP episode I have seen in a very long time.
Here is why people dont like Phil:Phil calls a preflop raise with AJ.  Flop is A, rag, rag.  He calls a decent sized bet.  Turns a J.  Guy goes all in Phil calls.  Guy has AQ and leaves graciously.If the roles were reversed, Phil would say,"I cant believe it!  They just love getting there money in on me drawing dead.  This is the worst poker I have ever seen.  Wait a minute, let me see this.  He calls my flop bet with AJ.  Like I dont have that beat.  I mean, come on, this guy is walking on water over here.  I mean they are dying to get there money in with the worst of it.  This is just so unfair!  Im playing as well as I can play and these donkeys are just trying to give me their money.  I mean come on."To be perfectly honest, I agree completley with Phil on the KJ hand.  I also love watching Phil blow up like this.  Its great.  When he said, "This guy cant even spell poker."  I was on the ground laughing.  Phil is great for poker.  I love watching him play.
You are right to a degree..however, Phil was pretty silent when the cards were turned over, so at least he didn't try to act like he made some great play. He knew he got lucky and just stayed quiet. So, can't fault him TOO much for this. Also, he didn't call an all-in with the hand, he just called one bet with it. So, not THAT bad, but yes, I see your point.