disturbed by daniel's blog today

8 pages is enough, so I am not going to comment on the original topic, everybody has their opinion and is entitled.What I find most interesting and at the same time frustrating and somewhat disturbing is the reaction that people have when either the topic is not flattering towards Daniel or they just plain don't agree.Daniel mentioned he was offended by my original comments.  Now I made them respectfully and with thought and without any malice, and yet he was offended.Why is Daniel not offended by the reaction of many, not all mind you, but many of  the posters on this forum towards me?It happened to be me this time, but this happens all the time to others as well.  Whether you agree or disagree, like me or dislike me does not excuse the kind of behavior exhibited towards me on this forum.Many people have taken the opportunity of my post to make a personal attack against me.  My words in many cases have been at the very least misconstrued and at the worst completely changed and twisted beyond all recognition.Why?Because I had the courage of my convictions and started a thread that was not popular with the majority knowing full well that I might/probably would be attacked?I have been accused in the past 8 pages of calling Daniel a cheater, I never did.  I have been called an idiot, stupid, moron, tard and probably other names that I have forgotten.It makes it very difficult to want to have any kind of dialog on this forum and quite frankly I am offended by it and you should be too.Agree to disagree, but is it too much to ask that you do it respectfully?
:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 pages is enough, so I am not going to comment on the original topic, everybody has their opinion and is entitled.What I find most interesting and at the same time frustrating and somewhat disturbing is the reaction that people have when either the topic is not flattering towards Daniel or they just plain don't agree.Daniel mentioned he was offended by my original comments.  Now I made them respectfully and with thought and without any malice, and yet he was offended.Why is Daniel not offended by the reaction of many, not all mind you, but many of  the posters on this forum towards me?It happened to be me this time, but this happens all the time to others as well.  Whether you agree or disagree, like me or dislike me does not excuse the kind of behavior exhibited towards me on this forum.Many people have taken the opportunity of my post to make a personal attack against me.  My words in many cases have been at the very least misconstrued and at the worst completely changed and twisted beyond all recognition.Why?Because I had the courage of my convictions and started a thread that was not popular with the majority knowing full well that I might/probably would be attacked?I have been accused in the past 8 pages of calling Daniel a cheater, I never did.  I have been called an idiot, stupid, moron, tard and probably other names that I have forgotten.It makes it very difficult to want to have any kind of dialog on this forum and quite frankly I am offended by it and you should be too.Agree to disagree, but is it too much to ask that you do it respectfully?
:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Very nice and exactly my point.We don't agree so let's verbally beat the shit out of the poster.Play as many fucking violins as you want, if you read the above you will note that this isn't about me. I fully expected the reaction but I understand why people don't want to comment, it always becomes a personal attack and the dialog gets lost and muted.

There are many people in this thread missing the point, IMHO. Daniel's advantage in that game is not a direct result of his buy-in but rather the fact that the stakes are so low the money is inconsequential to him. At the same time, losing a $5k buyin as a regular of that game would be a substantial loss. It's the same as many of us nutbarring the .05/.10 game.Complete emotional disregard for the money at these stakes is the advantage. Not the buy-in. My $0.02.Jeff

He didn't mean to play ball anyway. What if a dead drunk or your old man did some stunt, if they didn't know who he was setting there they should lose," know who your opponets IS" readmachince

I just read the opening post, i have not read the 8 pages yet. I agree with Majorleag. I was thinking just what he wrote when I was checking out Daniel's latest blog. This is "practice" for you DN?When you enter a tourney and recieve 10,000 in chips, do you fire out 3000-4000 on anything?Don't you think that you would play this way in a tourney only if you had a huge chip lead and were way ahead of the blinds?Haven't you been having trouble acumulating chips to get a "Bully stack" that you can have this kind of "fun" with?Shouln't you be working on your ABC game a little more than this "fooling around" that you call "practicing" so you can aquire a big stack in a tourney?Are you Jaded?Are you just playing poker these days cause you have to keep up your image as a pro poker player?Here's a better question; Is this year, 2005, worse than your 2000 year when you were self-destructing and getting blizted at the table and losing your arse?Do you remember when you went broke and had to borrow money to get back in the game?Do you remember the bad feeling you get when you go broke and can't live life the way you want to? (I do, I'm living it right now)Not that your close to going broke, but you have been disrespecting money a little too much lately even for a poker players standards. Poker players take big risks with money all the time, but they're also not f0ols. I get the impression that you want to get away from poker. But you can't.It encompuses every part of your life. I think there are othere things going on with you that your not talking about. (I don't blame you cause if you do talk about it here, most die hard fans on this site will prescibe you drugs, commit you to an institution or prepare for your death. Hahahahaha)to me, you just seem disinterested in poker or being a champion kind of player. Seems like your sabotaging your success.

There are many people in this thread missing the point, IMHO. Daniel's advantage in that game is not a direct result of his buy-in but rather the fact that the stakes are so low the money is inconsequential to him. At the same time, losing a $5k buyin as a regular of that game would be a substantial loss. It's the same as many of us nutbarring the .05/.10 game.Complete emotional disregard for the money at these stakes is the advantage. Not the buy-in. My $0.02.Jeff
Yet another person who COMPLETELY misses the point. If 5,000 dollars is a substantial loss to you...... THEN DON'T WAGER 5,000 DOLLARS!!!! This is why this gives you the advantage- assuming you can afford to be playing in that NL game you have a substantial advantage over a guy who you know will raise every pot, assuming he does not get lucky, which happens, which is why we all play within our limits. To reiterate my point earlier- if Daniel bought in for 5,000 went all in for 5,000 every hand he could win or lose just as much, and then rebuy for another 5,000 if he had to- the fact that he bought in for 125,000 changes nothing. If anything, it tells me that he is willing to lose 125,000 in that session, and then I would try and pickup hands and get a piece of it. It really is shocking to see how many people can't see that this is to there advantage- assuming that they can afford to sit in this game in the first place. Let's say you can't, and wanted to play in this game as a short stack- you have a huge opportunity to double up your roll RIGHT NOW against an opponent who is willing to do just that, and the odds are on your side. To Major Leag- I never called you any names, just called you out on your errant point of view- I have been called out alot on this forum and pretty much have taken it like a man, with no complaints- you should do that too.
I just read the opening post, i have not read the 8 pages yet. I agree with Majorleag. I was thinking just what he wrote when I was checking out Daniel's latest blog. This is "practice" for you DN?When you enter a tourney and recieve 10,000 in chips, do you fire out 3000-4000 on anything?Don't you think that you would play this way in a tourney only if you had a huge chip lead and were way ahead of the blinds?Haven't you been having trouble acumulating chips to get a "Bully stack" that you can have this kind of "fun" with?Shouln't you be working on your ABC game a little more than this "fooling around" that you call "practicing" so you can aquire a big stack in a tourney?Are you Jaded?Are you just playing poker these days cause you have to keep up your image as a pro poker player?Here's a better question; Is this year, 2005, worse than your 2000 year when you were self-destructing and getting blizted at the table and losing your arse?Do you remember when you went broke and had to borrow money to get back in the game?Do you remember the bad feeling you get when you go broke and can't live life the way you want to? (I do, I'm living it right now)Not that your close to going broke, but you have been disrespecting money a little too much lately even for a poker players standards. Poker players take big risks with money all the time, but they're also not f0ols. I get the impression that you want to get away from poker. But you can't.It encompuses every part of your life. I think there are othere things going on with you that your not talking about. (I don't blame you cause if you do talk about it here, most die hard fans on this site will prescibe you drugs, commit you to an institution or prepare for your death. Hahahahaha)to me, you just seem disinterested in poker or being a champion kind of player. Seems like your sabotaging your success.
OH MY GOD!!!!!! HE WAS HAVING FUN!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE AT THE TABLE WAS HAVING FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOES YOU UNDERSTAND THAT POKER CAN BE FUN??????????????AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!
I can afford to play 3-6, and I pretty much play NL- at times I will move down to say .5-.10 just to blow off steam , after a bad session, whatever. It costs me nothing comparatively and I just get to play thoughtless poker. I can afford to play in bigger buy in tourneys- sometimes I play in 5 dollar buy ins and even worse freerolls for the same reasons- to just fart around. What is the difference? As far as the rest of your accusations- well, I have no idea. I could not even speculate on what Dan thinks, I can only go by his Blog, which seems to say that he is happy. Busy, and worn out at times, but happy. I really can't see where your accusations have any foundation.

he said he was "preparing" for the WPT event. That's not preparing.Most of you who are defending his way of playing are not really poker players. (remember, i said "most" of you)I play no-limit with you new guys at my B&M and you guys think the "all-in"move, is one of the major moves in NL. You are so wrong.YOU GUYS PLAY BLACKJACK AT A NO_LIMIT HOLDEM TABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!putting all your money in pre-flop with "ANY" pocket pair or AK, AQ. Then you say, "Let's see what happens!" :shock: That, my friends, is GAMBLING. not POKER. I see you guys get lucky and make these huge stacks! Then, in 1-2 hours, your down to the felt. Then you go home and say you were playing poker and was unlucky. Poker is all luck. You can't make money playing poker. You didn't catch any cards. Poker is just gambling Blah blah blah blah blahblah.Poker is all luck in your eyes cause of the way "YOU" play. alot of you don't know how to play post flop because your not good readers of human behavior. You don't pay attention to the habits of your opponents. You play your hand instead of playing there hands. So you rely on luck way too much.DN wasn't brushing up on his poker skills. He was betting these enormous amounts.(like going all in) AND IF DN IS GOING TO WRITE A BLOG SAYING HE IS PREPARING FOR THE WPT, THEN I THINK HE FEELS WE ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO BE FED THAT LINE.I'M INSULTED

he said he was "preparing" for the WPT event. That's not preparing.Most of you who are defending his way of playing are not really poker players. (remember, i said "most" of you)I play no-limit with you new guys at my B&M and you guys think the "all-in"move, is one of the major moves in NL. You are so wrong.YOU GUYS PLAY BLACKJACK AT A NO_LIMIT HOLDEM TABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!putting all your money in pre-flop with "ANY" pocket pair or AK, AQ. Then you say, "Let's see what happens!" :shock: That, my friends, is GAMBLING. not POKER. I see you guys get lucky and make these huge stacks! Then, in 1-2 hours, your down to the felt. Then you go home and say you were playing poker and was unlucky. Poker is all luck. You can't make money playing poker. You didn't catch any cards. Poker is just gambling Blah blah blah blah blahblah.Poker is all luck in your eyes cause of the way "YOU" play. alot of you don't know how to play post flop because your not good readers of human behavior. You don't pay attention to the habits of your opponents. You play your hand instead of playing there hands. So you rely on luck way too much.DN wasn't brushing up on his poker skills. He was betting these enormous amounts.(like going all in) AND IF DN IS GOING TO WRITE A BLOG SAYING HE IS PREPARING FOR THE WPT, THEN I THINK HE FEELS WE ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO BE FED THAT LINE.I'M INSULTED
Its preperation.He sees pots that no one wants and overbets to buy it (Simply put, I really can't find better words to explain this, you are going to have to use your brain here)If everytime someone had a hand and he bet huge he would lose pretty quick.What you fail to realize is that a lot of the time when DN raises to 834242 is the same as just putting his opponent all in because he senses weakness, he doesn't raise for the hell of it. That my friend is preperation.

I still think it was one of his best BLOG's it was fun to read. I bet the guy DN lost some money too was not complaining at all.Also If I was sitting there with only $200-$500 dollars I would love a guy raising the pot like that. That would teach those damn limpers to stay away from there A Rag Off-Suit and keep them from playing 2 cards just because they have a name..."But it’s called the Flat Tire, I had to play it.Also, it will help me get paid off on my really good hands and teach me to play solid poker. I know DN could break me in a straight up game, but playing like he was I know my money would be going in with the best hand.

No offense, and you aren't the first person to say something like this, but there is NO ADVANTAGE to buying in for more. There is NOTHING unfair about it.Do you really think, that if you bought in for $200 and I bet $100,000 every hand that I would have an ADVANTAGE over you? Nope. In fact, if I were to do that it would give you the biggest earn you could possibly ask for.Well, assuming I got up at some point. If not you'd be a favprite to end up with all my money. If I gp in as an 80/20 favorite with you 10 times and youi allways have me covered and I'm allways all in, odds are you end up ahead.
hey smash,haven't been following this thread all too closely, but skimming it i noticed this response.while you're partly right, i think a lot of people will read your post and, through their regular stupidity, jump to wrong conclusions.your statement assumes that when i buy in for $200 and go in as an 80/20 favorite, i can't reload if i bust. you're talking about the mathematical problem of gambler's ruin.if i can reload every time i bust, daniel has no advantage over me.aseem
only part of thread I care about.Aseem and Sluggo..Can we rat hole? Ok..we have advantage.Otherwise, if we have to keep winnings in play, then we will lose eventually; if Daniel puts us all in on every handWhat am I missing? So we reload..ok..we lose again eventually.My only question: Can we rat hole at the table. I only play online.
No offense, and you aren't the first person to say something like this, but there is NO ADVANTAGE to buying in for more. There is NOTHING unfair about it.Do you really think, that if you bought in for $200 and I bet $100,000 every hand that I would have an ADVANTAGE over you? Nope. In fact, if I were to do that it would give you the biggest earn you could possibly ask for.Well, assuming I got up at some point. If not you'd be a favprite to end up with all my money. If I gp in as an 80/20 favorite with you 10 times and youi allways have me covered and I'm allways all in, odds are you end up ahead.
If there is no advantage to buying in for more...than why does everybody (including Doyle Brunson) advise that you buy in for the maximum......
So you win the maximum when you get big hands you nitwit. Next question.
:club::D:D THIS THREAD IS FUNNY.
Yes, I knew the answer to this question. I was making a point that there is an advantage to buying in for the maximum. Depending on how you play with that big stack, of course.

I'm glad you brought that up aseem.Smash does say he is mainly a "limit" holdem player. His statement is totally false. Aseem and Actuary pretty much said why. If you have 20,000 on the table and everyone else is hovering around 1000, you have a huge advantage. If the guy with 20,000 always bet 3 hundred or 4 hundred(he won't care cause its a small portion of his stack), he would get a caller seldomly cause that represents 30%-40% of any one persons stack. Your going to really think about playing any kind of hand. even medium pocket pairs. And if the maniac with 20,000 happens to get called and then WINS with rags, it puts even more pressure on everyone else to tighten up even more. Even if you beat the big stack once or twice, your still in danger of going broke cause he has you covered when he wakes up with a real handI THINK DN PLAYS WELL WITH A HUGE STACK. HE DOESN'T NEED MUCH PREPARATION IN THAT AREA. HE SHOULD BE WORKING OUT OTHER KINKS IN HIS GAME. LIKE SHORT-STACK PLAY. (playing good cards, trapping, slow playing ect.)

I have read Daniel's post and subsequent reply and although he has a point and says to read Sklansky and all and it brings to mind a great story...Three months a go I was looking for a $10-$20 no-limit game at the Bellagio and boy did I find one. Nine of us bought in for the typical $2-$3k when out of nowhere plops down a real nasty looking guy in his mid thirties or so and along with his attitude comes his twisted pile of bundled C-notes. When asked how much paper he has he scowls a reply of $400k. Get F----en serious.... I think to myself you must be kidding me when along Daniels line of reasoning, it occurs to me that this is a great opportunity, perhaps, or a death sentence for most of us. Well, I tighten up waiting for a shot at the guy but in the meantime he raises each pot no less than fifty times BB. As luck would have it he cleans the street down to three, myself included, catching every card, or so it seemed. Finally, I pick up AA in the small blind and of course psycho boy raises $5k, I had $1800 and looked at him and smiled. He said, Ya, Ya I know you have a hand but I don't care and turned up his 77. Needeless to say he sucked out and I was done. Happy to get my money in with the best of it but I can't say that I really enjoyed the session or would remain seated if I had to do it again.Daniel, if you really don't think that sitting down as one of the top pro's with a mountain of cash is an advantage then what exactly would make it worthwhile for you? Short of everyone else drinking....A big stack is a nuclear advantage just read "the Bible" as Doyle explains this quite clearly. And yes, if you aren't prepared to lose don't sit down but I wonder if any pro, let alone our golden boy, would sit down with 1/200th of what the grizzly bear opposite him has....Food for thought....

My last post on this thread and that is it- it is only advantage if you are playing outside your limits, because one race that you lose and your bust-- if you are not it's the juiciest three hours of your life if your willing to take some coinflips. There is risk involved, but it's negligible if you can afford to be there. This is one hell of an opportunity for a real NL player.

• 1 year later...

Just thought I bring back an old "I used to love Daniel but now I hate him because of what he said in his blog" thread to let you newbies see how the old school people did it.Old school still rocks

On the one hand, it must have been a treat for those folks to have someone of DN's stature sit down with them. But on the other, it did seem kind of unfair. If these people were looking to bet tens of thousands of dollars on a single hand they probably wouldn't have chosen a 5-10 table. I guess I have mixed feelings on the subject...
"Unfair"? Excuse me? Are we talking about the same f*cking game here, or did you accidentally toddle over from the bridge group? Poker is inherently unfair. Since when are there ever any "guarantees" you're sitting with people at your skill level? Just because it's immediately obvious you've got a real opponent on your hands when Daniel shows up, doesn't mean it's any less "unfair" when some unknown shark surfaces and takes you for everything you've got. That's poker!"A treat" MY *SS. If you had any spine or game whatsoever, you wouldn't kowtow like that. If a bunch of poor cringing beta monkeys want to whine around about how "unfair" Daniel was to their kind at a two-bit table they can obviously barely afford, it's hard to sympathize. Especially since you yourselves cackle with glee when bigger donkeys then you are show up! It goes both ways, guys. In any event, when you figure out you're outclassed and outplayed, you're perfectly free to walk away. You want to stick around and lose your stack? That's on YOU.
"Unfair"? Excuse me? Are we talking about the same f*cking game here, or did you accidentally toddle over from the bridge group? Poker is inherently unfair. Since when are there ever any "guarantees" you're sitting with people at your skill level? Just because it's immediately obvious you've got a real opponent on your hands when Daniel shows up, doesn't mean it's any less "unfair" when some unknown shark surfaces and takes you for everything you've got. That's poker!"A treat" MY *SS. If you had any spine or game whatsoever, you wouldn't kowtow like that. If a bunch of poor cringing beta monkeys want to whine around about how "unfair" Daniel was to their kind at a two-bit table they can obviously barely afford, it's hard to sympathize. Especially since you yourselves cackle with glee when bigger donkeys then you are show up! It goes both ways, guys. In any event, when you figure out you're outclassed and outplayed, you're perfectly free to walk away. You want to stick around and lose your stack? That's on YOU.
pssst you're arguing a guy from two years ago...some one get me a delorean