does anyone avoid going broke here?

I played a 20+2 MTT on pokerstars yesterday. I did not find many hands early, and after forty minutes or so I find AK off in the BB. At this point I have 1200 in chips, the average is around 2500, and blinds are 25/50. There are three callers, the SB calls, around to me and I raise it to 250. Player 1 folds, Players 2 and 3 call, the SB folds. flop comes A 9 9. I check, Player 2 checks, Player 3 raises 200. I reraise to 400, he puts me all-in, I call and he turns over J9 of diamonds. Of course the turn and river are no help. Anyone lay down after the reraise (I would be left with only 550)? Anyone raise more preflop?

Lead the flop. You should be able to get a better feel for what they have without having to put more in on a check-raise. Also, check-raising the minimum is always a donk move. If you're going to make that play, you should at least triple his bet, and with your chip stack you should just move in. Shortstack online tourneys don't leave you with a lot of playing room. Worse plays have been made.

i would raise more before the flop.As for as trowing your hand away it all comes down to how your oppnent was playing and what kind of feel you had for the end.But calling the all in was not the worst play in the world.

I check that preflop. You're out of position with Ace high. If your drawing hand hits, now you have a powerful, disguised hand. However, in your case where the board pairs with 9s (or a higher card), you have to tread lightly.

raise more preflopdon't c/r that flop...lead out by moving in or betting the pot.since you c/r the flop and got reraised you can be pretty sure that he has a 9.....i'd probably call and go broke...but folding this isn't that bad. you may think 550 is just a little bit..but i've seen people come back from worst. 2 double ups and your right back in there. gl

I check that preflop.  You're out of position with Ace high.  If your drawing hand hits, now you have a powerful, disguised hand.  However, in your case where the board pairs with 9s (or a higher card), you have to tread lightly.
well...if I check here preflop I can definitely get away from the hand, even after flopping top two pair, because whenI get reraised all-in I can put the guy on a 9. But playing the hand this way if I do get an A or K high flop it will be hard to play: out of position & without any idea where the other players are at. (Although in this hand I didn't have any idea anyway b/c I could hardly put the preflop caller on J9).
(Although in this hand I didn't have any idea anyway b/c I could hardly put the preflop caller on J9).
It's not really all that unheard of to see J9s here. It's a sneaky hand to play in that situation. I really disagree with raising preflop with that many limpers. Playing AK aggressively out of position is what constantly dooms a lot of players. If you do raise, you need to really pop it up there. I like an all in raise here better than the regular 3x bb + 1 bb for each limper (which would have been 300). This will negate your being out of position and let you see all five cards with your draw.

i think it's funny, the people that say "ak is soooo overrated, it's still a drawing hand"ok, so you have 22 in that situation...you're much happier then, right?i mean, ducks are a made hand, a real hand, a wired pair!

You can avoid going broke here by moving in preflop out of your BB. You rate to pick up 250 dead chips, which is almost a 20% increase in your chip position. If you get called it is going to be by a pair or a big ace, and you would've outflopped those hands. Putting out a regular raise as you did invited callers and left you in poor position after the flop. I know a lot of players don't like to go all in pf w AK, but if there is ever a time it is in this situation.

i think it's funny, the people that say "ak is soooo overrated, it's still a drawing hand"ok, so you have 22 in that situation...you're much happier then, right?i mean, ducks are a made hand, a real hand, a wired pair!
You have a point.Oh, wait. That's exactly what you don't have.22 is a drawing hand, too.
You have a point.Oh, wait. That's exactly what you don't have.22 is a different hand and a different situation. And I check with it here, too.
you're advocating checking one of the best starting hands instead of pushing the limpers out by saying it's a "drawing hand"so you check it 6 way and flop comes down say a93...you confident in your hand? because people regularly play a9 and a3 here. pump the pot harder preflop.

As most of the other posters have said, the only thing to do differently is lead out on the flop instead of the C/R. When you're out of position and there's a decent chance you don't have the best hand, it's not a wise move. Had you bet the pot, the J-9 would have been forced to either get cute with trips or go all-in. And, in most cases, getting that all-in back at you after you've represented a big ace pre-flop means you're smoked, and you can save your remaining chips for a better spot.And, if you are going to check-raise, make it a serious one.

Yes, I am advocating it. You're out of position. I'm certain you understand this concept, but you apparently don't apply it. If the flop comes A93 I check hoping for a C/R and go from there.

I would make it 500. A normal raise when first to enter would be to 200. But there is already 250 in the pot. By making it 500, you are telling everybody the strength of your hand. You will get most people to lay their hand down.

y doesent any1 see that the cporrect play i s cheking the flop get a worse ace to commit (since ure so short)ure either way ahead (vs poket pair or other ace or way behind vs a 9 giving a free card is not a problem ) i chek call to try to "make" my opponents range worse

I think you played it right, maybe slightly bigger raise preflop given all the limpers, and if you're planning to check raise the flop i'd probably just check raise all in - you were committed anyway right? Most people who analyze hands like this just can't put the outcome out of their mind - what kind of donk calls a significant preflop raise w/ j,9?

I might go all-in pre-flop for the simple reason that a lot of players seem to think I'm trying to steal the pot or something and call with weak hands. On the flop I would just call the bet and then push the turn. Check-raising pushes player 2 out when he might otherwise call with a weaker ace.Checking pre-flop sucks, btw.

y doesent any1 see that the cporrect play i s cheking the flop get a worse ace to commit (since ure so short)ure either way ahead (vs poket pair or other ace or way behind vs a 9 giving a free card is not a problem ) i chek call to try to "make" my opponents range worse
this is what I was thinking when I checked the flop...I was hoping there was at least one preflop caller with Ax who would bet and then be pot committed with a hand that was way behind. Also, checking here seems to me not that bad because if it does happen to be checked around there are not a lot of hands that would check the flop that could then outdraw me on the turn.

I push harder preflop...big overbet of the pot. Maybe even push all-in. You're a coin flip or better against any callers, and taking it down now is pretty good too. Due to the limpers, a lot of hands will call 200 more in a 450 pot. Once one calls, they all do due to improving pot and implied odds.The flop plays differently against a thinned field.

As most of the other posters have said, the only thing to do differently is lead out on the flop instead of the C/R. When you're out of position and there's a decent chance you don't have the best hand, it's not a wise move. Had you bet the pot, the J-9 would have been forced to either get cute with trips or go all-in. And, in most cases, getting that all-in back at you after you've represented a big ace pre-flop means you're smoked, and you can save your remaining chips for a better spot.
i agree...and if he does decide to get cute with his set, then you'll probably be losing all your chips anyways...i never like the idea of check-raising a paired board without the set...just my thought

For those saying checking PF is correct. Why do you want to bring that many limpers along for the ride?? Someone pointed out that you want to bring the weak Aces along. Ok, what about the KJs, KQs, 910s, 67s, 10J? You want them coming along too. You have AK out of position with a bunch of limpers. You have to raise here. I dont mind the T250 raise, I probably go a little bit higher, but T250 is fine I think. You HAVE to bet out that flop to find out where you are. But since you checked the flop, reraised, and then got reraised, you have to lay down this hand. You still have about 10xBB behind, a little low, but workable. What hands does he rereraise here with? Not many without a 9.Just my .02