how much can a top pro make?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?Anyway, concerning the OP's question, those claiming 2 or 3 million or less a year are way off. DN has said that it's not that uncommon to be stuck or win 1 million in one session of 4k/8k.Also, I believe in one of the other many threads about this topic I recall someone saying that Doyle Brunson's net worth is up near the 100 million mark and that DN is probably around the 10 million mark. Greenstein has said on a cardplayer interview that Ivey will eventually have the most money from playing poker.

Lets not forget that Phil Ivey is a SICK gambler. I would venture a guess and say that he probably makes as much if not more than anybody in the world as far as playing poker. (This is not including endorsements, sponsorships, etc.) However, it is widely known that Ivey will gamble on just about anything and everything, including craps. We all know you are better off flushing money down the toilet than playing craps, because in the long run, you will lose everything you ever bet by rolling the dice. Just ask TJ Cloutier and many other top pros who can't get away from the action of rolling a hard 8. I have no idea how much Ivey makes by playing poker, but I am fairly certain that he has certain gambling "leaks" that probably cost him a decent percentage of his bankroll.

most of the stuff on this thread is quite wrong.but, my info is second hand anyway and from 2nd tier players. let me just say that for every level game from $3/6 to $4000/8000.. that there are consistent winners and losers. usually the losers play and then go back down a level or do not play very often.no game will survive long with regulars unless they are indeed profiting from it. I know this for a fact in many $5/10, $25-50 games. I see no reason why this system does not apply for the largest games and all anecdotal evidence I have backs up this theory.I also know that many top tier players have a lot of freakin' money (they have no regard for money and treat $10K packs the way I handle a $10 bill) and that for at least for some of them it comes from poker. So, you figure out where they get it from.

let me just add that most poker players are losers. they lose money. this money winds it way up through the system eventually to the biggest games. and the house takes their cut all along the way over and over again.many of you out there are losers. and need to stop playing poker or play at lower levels. but, mostly you need to honestly look at yourself and realize your're not as good of a player as you think you are and that you're not just unlucky, you're a bad poker player.

let me just add that most poker players are losers. they lose money. this money winds it way up through the system eventually to the biggest games. and the house takes their cut all along the way over and over again.many of you out there are losers. and need to stop playing poker or play at lower levels. but, mostly you need to honestly look at yourself and realize your're not as good of a player as you think you are and that you're not just unlucky, you're a bad poker player.
Both of your above posts are very truthful.

Exactly elkang. It's all a step process. People tend to eventually play higher than they should, and either they learn to adjust or they go bust and have to work up from the bottom again. In both cases they tend to dump a lot of money. At every level of poker, even in the big game, there is a wide enough skill gap that the situation is profitable for the better players in the long run. You may be the 5th best player at a table of 9 but still find the situation to be profitable. At the 4k-8k level you may only be talking about .1 bbph, but that is still a pretty good amount of money. And the idea that someone would not be playing at a higher limit when they could make more in a smaller one is terrible, there are a lot of players that play higher limits when they are losing money, when they could be profitable in a lower game. This entire argument is about people being rational. If you play poker you should know that plenty of people that play poker are not rational.

The other thing about the big game is the fish are new to the game so they don't have any information about how people play. And some of these people Doyle, Chip have been sitting there for 20 years letting people drop there money at the table, they have probably gotten good at it.

Is this from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?Anyway, concerning the OP's question, those claiming 2 or 3 million or less a year are way off. DN has said that it's not that uncommon to be stuck or win 1 million in one session of 4k/8k.Also, I believe in one of the other many threads about this topic I recall someone saying that Doyle Brunson's net worth is up near the 100 million mark and that DN is probably around the 10 million mark. Greenstein has said on a cardplayer interview that Ivey will eventually have the most money from playing poker.
Good observation. I was going to post it in every thread where someone asked a question with a numerical answer that night but opted for subtlety. On a side note to this thread does anyone really expect this question to be answered accurately? Especially by us(the forum)?
Here is my two cents...and you should pay attention because I am right.The BIG GAME features the best players in the world.There are not enough rich fish to feed all the pros in the BIG GAME.NO SINGLE PLAYER kills the Big Game.The Best players in the big game might make a 10% ROI on their buyins.Whoever "killed" the Big Game last year is probably a moron for not playing 1k/2k and destroying the whales that play that level....There is where the top level poker players that really like money are probably playing....Playing in the big game is a circle jerk.  Picture it in your head and see if you get the concept.
I much agree with this idea that there are not enough fish to feed these great players. However this understanding leads us into a great cunundrum: If they can't make that much $$$ why do they play in the game. Why don't they play at lower limits where the rich fish swim? These guys are much smarter than us which means only one thing. The big game has the most EV for Ivey.
In the Professor, The Banker, and the Suicide King it talks about how Todd Brunson plays in the big game, but will drop down to 1k/2k or even I believe like 400/800 if the game's juicy. It made it seem like the players in the Big Game are playing to challenge themselves against the best players in the world, and players like Todd who only care about the money drop down a little and make a lot more money.Seems to make sense, but as to actual numbers it's all speculation.

Like I said....The Big Game= Circle Jerk....No need to continue to debate.and like I said...the top tier pros that actually like money....are playing the 1k/2k...and lower.If you read the Prof, Banker, and the Suicide King...there is some very interesting insight into this very concept.

An article on Ted Forrest in the new cardplayer said that he drops down to 400 800 to make his money. That's not to say that nobody in the big game makes big money. If all the richest guys get that way playing 1k 2k and lower than why would the three most winningest players be playing there? Also if the general concensus on Ivey is that he will be the most winning player of all time soon then he is clearly doing quite well in the game.

I make about 500-700 a month. HAHAHAHHAHAH, I answered the question by giving how much I make per month, thus insinuating that I am a top pro. That's funny...HAHAHHA
Wow, you are rich!!! You are uber rich!!! You must live in a mansion with hookers.
Wow, you are rich!!! You are uber rich!!! You must live in a mansion with hookers.
A mansion with hookers....AHHHH...I think I just discovered the meaning of life.....
I make about 500-700 a month. HAHAHAHHAHAH, I answered the question by giving how much I make per month, thus insinuating that I am a top pro. That's funny...HAHAHHA
I used to live in a mansion with four hookers. But I sold the mansion and rented an apartment, so I could have more hookers.
Just to give you an idea. The decent 150-300 LIMIT player making 1/3BB hour will make about a million dollars a year. So if you think these top pros are making 400-500k, well you may want to reconsider.
LOL!!!!I hope you're missing a sw and the end of that. If not can you give me your calculations to support this, i must be missing something.