how many hands per day to you like to play?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha you know that there are always exceptions..but on average you also know that anybody with a college degree easily makes more than somebody who doesnt have a college degree...id rather at least be in the norm to start out with rather than the exception to the rule

A college degree should be finished up. Not just because it gives you a "back up," but you might want to change careers for a little while. And it makes you a smarter person.
A college degree isn't a ticket to success. Just ask Kanye West.
No offense to anyone, but a college degree doesn’t mean shit these days.Most of the younger people I worked with when I was a server at TGI Fridays were college undergrads, and they couldn't find a job with their degree.You want to have a college degree and work a career the rest of your life? You're never going to make more than 300 grand a year max, and that’s if your extremely lucky and want to spend fourteen years of your life going to school and racking up debt.That may be enough for some of you, but I plan on being retired by the time I'm forty with my own little island and my own highly esteemed personal ball washer. And I'm going to need a hell of a lot more money than that to do it.Call me stupid, but I have no back up plan. Failure isn't an option for me. I'll succeed in what is I want to do or die trying.
A college degree should be finished up. Not just because it gives you a "back up," but you might want to change careers for a little while. And it makes you a smarter person.
No offense to anyone, but a college degree doesn’t mean shit these days.
Why are you arguing with me? I said the same thing.Plenty of college educated career people make >300k/year, although it is less than the top 1%. To be fair, very few non-college grads are pulling in 300k.Most people compare mean wages of college grads to mean wages of high-school grads. It's true that college grads earn more on average and that the difference has increased a lot over the past 30 years.But this doesn't mean that everyone would earn more if they went to college. Because people choose what is best for them, it would be fair to say that people choose not to go to college because they make more money (or are happier) without a college degree.Anyway, choose whatever path is right for you. No sense in getting a college degree just so you can hang a piece of paper on your wall.
No offense to anyone, but a college degree doesn’t mean shit these days.Most of the younger people I worked with when I was a server at TGI Fridays were college undergrads, and they couldn't find a job with their degree.You want to have a college degree and work a career the rest of your life? You're never going to make more than 300 grand a year max, and that’s if your extremely lucky and want to spend fourteen years of your life going to school and racking up debt.That may be enough for some of you, but I plan on being retired by the time I'm forty with my own little island and my own highly esteemed personal ball washer. And I'm going to need a hell of a lot more money than that to do it.Call me stupid, but I have no back up plan. Failure isn't an option for me. I'll succeed in what is I want to do or die trying.
..feeling good that college only took me three years....getting angry about that $300,00 ceiling....quitting job to walk the streets of gold at Party Poker

i too may quit college now that i see the great reasoning...Yes college does mean quite a bit. Dont be naive to thinking that just b/c you only start out at 40-50k at some job that its not worth much more. Its stability, likely full coverage insurance and a consistant paycheck. You say that people who have degrees cant seem to find jobs...So not having one will make you more likeable to a company? On average like econ said you will make more in the long run at a job. Are there exceptions? of course but even then you are going to need some sort of college education to move up the ladder...Is a college degree necessary to have a fulfilling life? no will it make you more well rounded to enter the job force? yesNow there are a lot of bs degrees out there that yeah wont lead to any great jobs but thats the whole point of college, to figure out what ur good at so that you can build a career around it. I personally started off as an engineer hated it and switched to economics which i never would have considered and i love it. college is about muchmore than the degree and until you are in college you wont understand what it is..but hey if you wanna take a shot a poker with no back up by all means go for it...nobodies stoppin yah..just tryin to give you a sense of reality

So you are going to kill yourself when you go broke playing poker?- Jordanps- serious question.

You get more out of college than just a piece of paper and a little more money each year. College is a great place to broaden your mind. You get out of it what you want.And if people with a college degree are having major problems finding better work than server at TGIFriday's, maybe they shouldn't have majored in something ridiculously common like business, or obscure like 18th century African art.

You get more out of college than just a piece of paper and a little more money each year.  College is a great place to broaden your mind.  You get out of it what you want.And if people with a college degree are having major problems finding better work than server at TGIFriday's, maybe they shouldn't have majored in something ridiculously common like business, or obscure like 18th century African art.
yeah..you can be an Actuary.The Job's almanac says it's a great job. :x
Playing poker is just another job.
Yea, and a damn good hard one to actually make a serious living at as you are suggesting.Better off getting a real job and then "doing what you really want". I will almost guarentee you, you will be able to get there faster...and I think most sane thinking persons here would agree.Cause despite what you hear or want to believe...a very few are actually winners in this game. And to be a winner at a higher level to make a solid living is asking even more. Cause right now you are grinding .5/1 right?good luck- Jordan

A college degree should be finished up. Not just because it gives you a "back up," but you might want to change careers for a little while. And it makes you a smarter person.Education makes you a smarter person. A degree doesn't.good luck.

you would like to think that to get the degree you had to get some sort of education and do some sort of learning while you payed 50k for that educationLike i said theres are those who grind it out and make a living off of it... but the problem is people like breakin liberty who think its just a breez to make a living though hes at .5/1 makin almost 7bb/100? (kinda questionable). But if you really want it good luck..i hope you dont fail but the percentages arent on ur side

you would like to think that to get the degree you had to get some sort of education and do some sort of learning while you payed 50k for that educationLike i said theres are those who grind it out and make a living off of it... but the problem is people like breakin liberty who think its just a breez to make a living though hes at .5/1 makin almost 7bb/100? (kinda questionable).  But if you really want it good luck..i hope you dont fail but the percentages arent on ur side
The percentages have never been on my side, I don't think it will be easy to make a living grinding out at the $3/$6 tables for eight hours a day, I believe in a good education and I don't believe college is what fits the description of a good education anymore.I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone else, if you want to go to college than by all means, please go. Society needs doctors, lawyers, attorneys, accountants, ect. ect.I'm simply stating that college isn't for me, and if you can't grasp that college isn’t for everyone, I pity you.But don't think you know me, or you know what is best for me. OR what I can or can't do with my life. None of you know me and you have no right to suggest to me or tell me how I should be living my life or what I should do with it.What do you care what happens to me anyway?I started this thread to ask about hands played per day, not discuss my fucking life.

I'm incredibly lazy, but I'll probably get in 1k-2k hands whenever I do play for the day. I play a lot of shorthanded as well, so I probably get in more hands that way. It does get incredibly boring sometimes and also can be stressful at the end of the month when the rent is due. It gives you a certain freedom, but it's not for everybody either. Good Luck.

I'm incredibly lazy, but I'll probably get in 1k-2k hands whenever I do play for the day.  I play a lot of shorthanded as well, so I probably get in more hands that way.  It does get incredibly boring sometimes and also can be stressful at the end of the month when the rent is due.  It gives you a certain freedom, but it's not for everybody either.  Good Luck.
Thanks, Jay. I was wondering, what do you prefer? 6-max or ring games, and why?
I'm incredibly lazy, but I'll probably get in 1k-2k hands whenever I do play for the day.  I play a lot of shorthanded as well, so I probably get in more hands that way.  It does get incredibly boring sometimes and also can be stressful at the end of the month when the rent is due.  It gives you a certain freedom, but it's not for everybody either.  Good Luck.
Full Ring games probably, because I'm generally playing a few shorthanded games at the same time which takes more concentration and I can pretty much be on cruise control in a full ring game where you play less hands than a 6-max table. It's all just a matter of preference and some people do better at full while others at 6-max, experiment a bit, find out what your best at and stick with it.
Full Ring games probably, because I'm generally playing a few shorthanded games at the same time which takes more concentration and I can pretty much be on cruise control in a full ring game where you play less hands than a 6-max table. It's all just a matter of preference and some people do better at full while others at 6-max, experiment a bit, find out what your best at and stick with it.
Well I can crush the ring games. It's just my understanding that the 6-max tables are more profitable. I want to make the most profit per hour, but they are harder for me to play. I am making two more dollars an hour playing the 6-max tables than the ring games right now, but I've played thousands of more ring game hands than the six max.Harder in the sense that the ring games it is much more mechanical and mathematical, thus easier to get into a rhythm.

Well I can crush the ring games.Probably not. It's just my understanding that the 6-max tables are more profitable. I want to make the most profit per hour, but they are harder for me to play. I am making two more dollars an hour playing the 6-max tables than the ring games right now, but I've played thousands of more ring game hands than the six max.Pre hour six max is more profitable (assuming you can beat it) simply because you play more hands.However, and this is a big however, if you can't drop 350BB and laugh about it don't play six max. There is a huge diffrence in variance between six-max and full ring and your blind play better be great if you're going to play six-max full time.I play six max exclusively at this point for two reasons. 1) More hands per hour, and far more importantly 2)Much better game selection.Fish like 6-max. Fish like high variance. Fish like to be able to win 100BB in a session and think they're winning players.Given equal game selection, I'd play full ring.Harder in the sense that the ring games it is much more mechanical and mathematical, thus easier to get into a rhythm.Again, probably not, but ok.good luck.

Gotta love the youth of America. I love the comment that $300K is beneath him. He talks of sitting on an island, a self made wealthy man, yet offers no vehicle on how to do it. Other than he will begin his journey to financial independence by gambling.When are people going to learn Daniel N and Phil Ivey are tremendous exceptions to the rule? Read the comments from Todd Brunson that many of the tourney final tablers you see on TV are flat broke a year later, destitute...I pull down $150K in my real job, and let me tell you, it puts me in the top 2% of society as far as income goes, and its a lot of money. As much as Phil Ivey makes? No, not even close. But its a LOT more than 98% of the rest of the poker "pros" you never hear of....Before you start thinking $300K is chump change, try clearing $100K consistently and then talk.

Gotta love the youth of America. I love the comment that $300K is beneath him. He talks of sitting on an island, a self made wealthy man, yet offers no vehicle on how to do it. Other than he will begin his journey to financial independence by gambling.When are people going to learn Daniel N and Phil Ivey are tremendous exceptions to the rule? Read the comments from Todd Brunson that many of the tourney final tablers you see on TV are flat broke a year later, destitute...I pull down $150K in my real job, and let me tell you, it puts me in the top 2% of society as far as income goes, and its a lot of money. As much as Phil Ivey makes? No, not even close. But its a LOT more than 98% of the rest of the poker "pros" you never hear of....Before you start thinking $300K is chump change, try clearing $100K consistently and then talk.
you didn't sign up just to tell us how much you make did you? :club:
Again moron, you don't know me. Don't act like you do. Don't even think you do. Don't think you know what vehicles I plan to use to get to where I want to go.If you have any thing to add about how many hands you play a day, please do. If not, shut your mouth.