majorleag @ the united states poker championships

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good read major, sounds like you had a blast
I did thanks!Day one was tough, because the longest tournament experience I had, had previously had been 7 hours in a tourney I won in CA.I really ended day one thinking to myself how the heck do these guys do this for 4 or 5 days straight 9 to 10 hours a day. I even asked Chris Ferguson and he didn't really have an answer, and just said imagine some of these guys in cash games play for days straight, I just responded, that I can't even imagine that.I realized though after day one that it isn't so bad, you kind of get in to a zone, and then it really is no different then sitting at a desk at work which I do. The only major difference is you don't have the luxury of getting up and walking away whenever you want to.It really was a thrilling experience and I feel really happy to have played at the table with real seasoned pro's, most notably in my mind at least Men "The Master" Nguyen and been able to play at a good level without doing anything stupid against them. I think of the 4-5 pro's I played with he has the most noteriety.In fact I never got into any trouble in any pots with pro's, everytime I lost a big pot including my last hand with the queens it was against, I assume regular guys like me.
Ironically enough on Tuesday I saw Men "The Master" Nguyen and said who are you doing Men? He mumbled something incoherently and turned and walked away from me.So needless to say I thought he was a bit of a prick. Wouldn't you know it yesterday about 3 levels in they put him at my table. Him and I got into it a couple of times.
Ha, I had the opposite problem with Men - he wouldn't stop talking to me. Early on day 2, I got moved to a table with him on my left, and Freddy on my right (not to mention JohnnyBax at the table), and Men talked my ear off. Kind of amusing, he was going on and on about how if he threw fits like Phil, he'd be on tv more, and how the WPT didn't show his exit interview from the Shooting Star because he was too gracious in defeat. It was almost one of those moments where you just keeping nodding your head and hope he shuts up. Seemed like a nice enough guy though, but maybe he just liked me because I listened to him gripe. :-)Good job Major; was this your first big buy in tournament, or have you played in them before? I found the experience at the WSOP ME was a big help in Aruba, so I'm sure you learned a lot.Patrick
I really dont agree with major's antics on the table (online obviously). He is always being beligerant to other players and whining constantly.With that said I still wish him the best.
Krup,I just have one comment/request. I have in the past not acted the best, however that guy is largely dead and buried. I am not saying that I may still from time to time not get out of line, but you have apparently only seen the occasions and I assure you they are rare where I am the bad guy or out of line.Now not to excuse such behavior but apperantly you have never been around to witness the verbal beatings that I have taken online. That having been said I have tried very hard to be a better poster with a better attitude but every single post that you make about me continually brings up that in your opinion I am a belligerant bully, etc.With all due respect, you really know nothing about me, nor what I have gone through in the past 18 months since I started to play this game and have tried to get better at it.Now for my request.Unless you see me do something current that you feel is out of line, I would respectfully ask that if you are involved in a post about me that you not continually bring up, past actions that you may have witnessed, simply to paint me in a bad light. The fact you keep doing this, would indicate that you may have some sort of ax to grind with me. If I have personally offended you, I apologize right here and now in a public forum. If you have an issue and want to PM me, fine. Otherwise I would appreciate your watching my current and future actions and not continually bringing up a few isolated past incidents.I am trying very hard to be a good poker player, and I will play my style of poker which may be aggressive at times, but I will do my best to treat others with respect while doing so.I do not want to get a reputation for being rude, obnoxious, belligerent etc.I saw a guy yesterday that was at the table with the dread lock guy, (can't remember his name) and I don't know who he was but I was appalled by his behavior.I don't want to be that guy!!!!!!!!!!!He had a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off that had a cool saying, that read "endorsed by noone" but he was in peoples face, and I don't know the situation but his table was right behind mine and he was talking all kinds of smack to another player after he won a pot.In my opinion there is no place for that kind of grandstanding.Anyway Krup, I am human and make mistakes. I am a husband and father of 2 and I think you have and continue to paint me with a rather harsh brush.I ask that you watch me starting now, and make your judgements accordingly.Sincerely,Mauricio "Majorleag" Polack
cardplayer is finally getting some pictures up of the men/major confrontation, nice.menmaster.jpg
You got my face wrong, but that look is pretty much the look that Men was giving me!I guess he wanted me to melt in to a puddle of fear and start weeping uncontrollably at the table.Which is exactly what I did, I even called the tournament director and told him I was really, really scared of Men and that I only had 7k in chips left, so could he please move me to an easier table.Thanks for the laugh DNA, you are always good for it, the DNA "The Master of Pictures" Forever.Going to watch a movie with my wife, will check in with you fine folks later!
krup24 wrote: I really dont agree with major's antics on the table (online obviously). He is always being beligerant to other players and whining constantly. With that said I still wish him the best.
Is that really neccesary? It sounds to me like krupp is the whiner.
On another note, Congratulations Major! Im sure the experience was amazing.
Thanks much to you and all the well wishers.Yes it really was an incredible time.The feeling of being there in that atmosphere, knowing that I was actually participating and not just watching was soooo cool.I can tell you though that I now understand what it feels like too to bust out with the money in sight. It does feel like being punched in the stomach.But after having time to reflect, I realize that I was fortunate to be in such an event and know that I will at some point in the future play in another big event.I left there with some fantastic memories. I felt like a little kid playing with all those know pros.I have no problem admitting that it was such an incredible thrill, to be in their company. I feel I did a pretty good job of masking this feeling while at the table but inside I was like wow, I can't believe I am sitting at the same table as The Master, etc. etc.
Major... Alan Colon is a total donkey in my opinion...I've played 20/40, 40/80 limit with him and he is truly putrid, but it good for the game cause he gives action. Is he any different in NL?
Well I want to first temper my comments by saying that situations change and I know that people have made assumptions about the way I play by a few interactions and the longer you play you evolve.The other conclusion I have come to is this, in poker there really is no one way to play a hand. No right or wrong, as it is all situational, position, chip stack, who you are playing, etc. etc.I also am a very good Blackjack player, that is a game that with the exception of a tournament, you always play a hand a certain way.So while I don't agree with the way Alan plays, I certainly would not call him a Donkey. he is still in the tournament or at least was when the night ended.He in my opinion is way too conservative in a tournament. He almost never raised pre-flop more than the standard 3 times the BB. In fact I am pretty sure he never did, regardless of what he held.Now in my opinion this is a mistake. Here are two examples of what I did, once in a had where I pushed Alan out and then another time when everyone folded, and what Alan said and my response. In retrospect I should really not have discussed my reasoning with him but I did.On day one I held Queen, 9 and the flop came with Queen, and I can't remember what else. I am sorry that I don't remember all the details, but here is where I think Alan does not take enough risks in a tourney and gets pushed off a hand too easily.It ended up being the last hand of the day, and he I believe checked the flop or maybe made a small bet. I went all in hoping to get him to lay down his hand, and knowing that if he didn't he would cripple himself. I was all in for about 14k and he goes in the tank for quite some time and even asks me how much. I never talk while in a hand so I just put my chips in stacks so he could see and the dealer told him how much. He starts to count his chips and while doing so the has some of the stacks in front of his cards.Now in AC, maybe everyplace not sure about this, if your chips are in front of your cards the dealer can consider it a call, bet or raise, so if by accident you were to place your cards behind your whole stack you could technically be called all in. It is just Alan an me and another player calls Alan on this, now I wanted to kick this guy because I really was concerned that if he has a Queen my Nine will NOT hold up.Alan gets really irritated at this and says he was just counting his chips, the other guy keeps protesting, now I am praying he shuts up, but I have to keep quiet knowing that if I tell this guy to mind his own damn business, that will prompt Alan to call, as I felt that I knew him well enough by now to know he would fold unless he felt he had the nuts.Mind you the bell has rung and we are done for the night, finally Alan folds his Queen, Jack face up and I show my Queen, Nine face up.Second situation, yesterday when I finally got chips again, if I had a hand that was mediocre and there was enough in blinds/antes to take I would push very aggressively because I knew some people would call 3 times the BB with a drawing hand.So with the blinds at 400-800 with a 100 ante I raised to 5k hoping to take it down uncontested which I did. Everyone including Men Nguyen folds. Alan mumbles to another player that when I do that I bet too much, as I had been aggressive with my all in's to make it too expensive for callers. I showed him the 8's and said would you want to see a flop with those? He said no but that I would get into trouble doing that. Well I disagreed completely with him and told him so. Finally I said Alan if you had Ace, King suited and I bet 3 times the BB would you have called? I of course knew the answer, and he says yes but not for $5k. I said exactly, so I feel my move was correct.Alan didn't, the folks on this forum may agree with Alan, with me or some place in between.I am going to try very hard not to criticize other players, and just keep my opinions to myself. Everybody has a different style.I think Alan is too timid but, I would not label him a Donkey, he is a formidable player.I honestly believe that I can play with any player in the world. The only thing currently holding me back is not having the bankroll to enter big events. I will grind until I am at that point.

Major:I certainly appreciate the time you've taken to talk about your experiences a little. Sounds like you had a good time.I am endlessly amused by Men Nguyen's attempts at player intimidation. It's one thing to be a total maniac at the table with raising, re-raising, etc.. It's another thing thing to glare at people and run your mouth when you are about 3'7" and 78 lbs soaking wet. I mean, my 11 year old daughter is bigger than him, I think.Anyway, thanks for posting the stories. It's always fun to live vicariously through folks like you and Kurt (who played at the $25K Bellagio event).

Major... Alan Colon is a total donkey in my opinion...I've played 20/40, 40/80 limit with him and he is truly putrid, but it good for the game cause he gives action. Is he any different in NL?
Well I want to first temper my comments by saying that situations change and I know that people have made assumptions about the way I play by a few interactions and the longer you play you evolve.The other conclusion I have come to is this, in poker there really is no one way to play a hand. No right or wrong, as it is all situational, position, chip stack, who you are playing, etc. etc.I also am a very good Blackjack player, that is a game that with the exception of a tournament, you always play a hand a certain way.So while I don't agree with the way Alan plays, I certainly would not call him a Donkey. he is still in the tournament or at least was when the night ended.He in my opinion is way too conservative in a tournament. He almost never raised pre-flop more than the standard 3 times the BB. In fact I am pretty sure he never did, regardless of what he held.Now in my opinion this is a mistake. Here are two examples of what I did, once in a had where I pushed Alan out and then another time when everyone folded, and what Alan said and my response. In retrospect I should really not have discussed my reasoning with him but I did.On day one I held Queen, 9 and the flop came with Queen, and I can't remember what else. I am sorry that I don't remember all the details, but here is where I think Alan does not take enough risks in a tourney and gets pushed off a hand too easily.It ended up being the last hand of the day, and he I believe checked the flop or maybe made a small bet. I went all in hoping to get him to lay down his hand, and knowing that if he didn't he would cripple himself. I was all in for about 14k and he goes in the tank for quite some time and even asks me how much. I never talk while in a hand so I just put my chips in stacks so he could see and the dealer told him how much. He starts to count his chips and while doing so the has some of the stacks in front of his cards.Now in AC, maybe everyplace not sure about this, if your chips are in front of your cards the dealer can consider it a call, bet or raise, so if by accident you were to place your cards behind your whole stack you could technically be called all in. It is just Alan an me and another player calls Alan on this, now I wanted to kick this guy because I really was concerned that if he has a Queen my Nine will NOT hold up.Alan gets really irritated at this and says he was just counting his chips, the other guy keeps protesting, now I am praying he shuts up, but I have to keep quiet knowing that if I tell this guy to mind his own damn business, that will prompt Alan to call, as I felt that I knew him well enough by now to know he would fold unless he felt he had the nuts.Mind you the bell has rung and we are done for the night, finally Alan folds his Queen, Jack face up and I show my Queen, Nine face up.Second situation, yesterday when I finally got chips again, if I had a hand that was mediocre and there was enough in blinds/antes to take I would push very aggressively because I knew some people would call 3 times the BB with a drawing hand.So with the blinds at 400-800 with a 100 ante I raised to 5k hoping to take it down uncontested which I did. Everyone including Men Nguyen folds. Alan mumbles to another player that when I do that I bet too much, as I had been aggressive with my all in's to make it too expensive for callers. I showed him the 8's and said would you want to see a flop with those? He said no but that I would get into trouble doing that. Well I disagreed completely with him and told him so. Finally I said Alan if you had Ace, King suited and I bet 3 times the BB would you have called? I of course knew the answer, and he says yes but not for $5k. I said exactly, so I feel my move was correct.Alan didn't, the folks on this forum may agree with Alan, with me or some place in between.I am going to try very hard not to criticize other players, and just keep my opinions to myself. Everybody has a different style.I think Alan is too timid but, I would not label him a Donkey, he is a formidable player.I honestly believe that I can play with any player in the world. The only thing currently holding me back is not having the bankroll to enter big events. I will grind until I am at that point.
Major... first off let me say congrats on appearing at this tournament. I sweated you on herre both days and was hoping you would do well.But I gotta say man, be careful. I am glad you said you believed you could PLAY with anyone in the world.That is true and that is why we love poker. I just sense a little hubris sneaking in and I am just offering some friendly advice, be cool. Take it easy. Enjoy your achievements but remember your limitations. Who knows wht the future holds? But for now, you got a lot to learn friend, we all do. PS... It might be a good idea to sign your mortgage over to the wife, you know, just in case.

Major, I think you are a little wrong about Alan Colon on the hand with qj vs. q9. I have never played with him and you have so you definitely know more, but I don't think that hand shows that he is too tight at all. Your raise was very solid and well timed and put him to an extremely tough decision. Only top notch pros can call that and have any justification for doing so. It takes a pretty solid read to make that call with a marginal kicker when you are almost dead to aq and kq. Any internet fish can make that call, but that it's more to due with Phil Gordon's article on different levels of thinking. Anyways, he may be too tight but that hand was played how almost all poker players would play it and I don't think it shows that he is a donkey.

Major, I think you are a little wrong about Alan Colon on the hand with qj vs. q9. I have never played with him and you have so you definitely know more, but I don't think that hand shows that he is too tight at all. Your raise was very solid and well timed and put him to an extremely tough decision. Only top notch pros can call that and have any justification for doing so. It takes a pretty solid read to make that call with a marginal kicker when you are almost dead to aq and kq. Any internet fish can make that call, but that it's more to due with Phil Gordon's article on different levels of thinking. Anyways, he may be too tight but that hand was played how almost all poker players would play it and I don't think it shows that he is a donkey.
Agreed...I think it would be an awful call with QJ regardless of if you held Q9 there or not, why would Alan risk most of his chips with that hand? This is exactly the situation that pros want to stay out of with amateurs. They want to play small pots and grind away, or push/call all in only with the nuts in big pots, not call with QJ on a Q high board for almost all their chips.
I know my response about Alan was long, so I understand if you may have missed what I said, but I actually defended him against someone else calling him a donkey.I in no way think he is a donkey, he is a very tough player, and you are right that he made a tough laydown with the queen, jack.I just think he is too tight in general to make final tables in tournies, more so in the case where he was criticizing my making very large pre-flop raises to take the blinds and antes. He felt I was taking too big a risk, whereas I don't want to allow anyone to see a flop, cheap with overcards to my middle pair.I respect Alan and don't think he is a donkey.
I just think he is too tight in general to make final tables in tournies, more so in the case where he was criticizing my making very large pre-flop raises to take the blinds and antes.  He felt I was taking too big a risk, whereas I don't want to allow anyone to see a flop, cheap with overcards to my middle pair.
He's right, a very large pre-flop raise shouldn't be the standard. If you're looking to take the blinds and antes you want to do it with the smallest raise that will scare your opponents off. And there's nothing tight about only making 3xbb raises, how tight or loose you are has nothing to do with the size of a raise you make.
I really dont agree with major's antics on the table (online obviously).  He is always being beligerant to other players and whining constantly.With that said I still wish him the best.
Krup,I just have one comment/request. I have in the past not acted the best, however that guy is largely dead and buried. I am not saying that I may still from time to time not get out of line, but you have apparently only seen the occasions and I assure you they are rare where I am the bad guy or out of line.Now not to excuse such behavior but apperantly you have never been around to witness the verbal beatings that I have taken online. That having been said I have tried very hard to be a better poster with a better attitude but every single post that you make about me continually brings up that in your opinion I am a belligerant bully, etc.With all due respect, you really know nothing about me, nor what I have gone through in the past 18 months since I started to play this game and have tried to get better at it.Now for my request.Unless you see me do something current that you feel is out of line, I would respectfully ask that if you are involved in a post about me that you not continually bring up, past actions that you may have witnessed, simply to paint me in a bad light. The fact you keep doing this, would indicate that you may have some sort of ax to grind with me. If I have personally offended you, I apologize right here and now in a public forum. If you have an issue and want to PM me, fine. Otherwise I would appreciate your watching my current and future actions and not continually bringing up a few isolated past incidents.I am trying very hard to be a good poker player, and I will play my style of poker which may be aggressive at times, but I will do my best to treat others with respect while doing so.I do not want to get a reputation for being rude, obnoxious, belligerent etc.I saw a guy yesterday that was at the table with the dread lock guy, (can't remember his name) and I don't know who he was but I was appalled by his behavior.I don't want to be that guy!!!!!!!!!!!He had a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off that had a cool saying, that read "endorsed by noone" but he was in peoples face, and I don't know the situation but his table was right behind mine and he was talking all kinds of smack to another player after he won a pot.In my opinion there is no place for that kind of grandstanding.Anyway Krup, I am human and make mistakes. I am a husband and father of 2 and I think you have and continue to paint me with a rather harsh brush.I ask that you watch me starting now, and make your judgements accordingly.Sincerely,Mauricio "Majorleag" Polack
I have no ax to grind w/ u. I just didn't like the actions I've seen from u in the past. I played over 1K hands against u before u were even a member here. I saw u constantly berate other players and whine excessively. Anyone can change there ways so I always give the benefit of the doubt. I wished u luck I am not an ******* I was just stating what I know to be ur antics.I am glad u represented fcp with ur finish and hope that u have changed ur ways on the table.Congratulations and Good Luck.