fcp insomniac army

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HE"S NOT RIPPING THEM OFF!!!!!Part of appreciating QT's art, is that his movies are about movies, and the history of movies. Much like a DJ of the 80's and early 90's would take samples of old songs, and make new beautiful ones, QT references dozens of movies in his movies, taking all kinds of influence, and putting them back together into something new and wonderful. His references are tributes, he is NOT ripping off, he loves those movies more than you and me could probably imagine. QT is post modern awesomeness.
You make a excellent point. QT is a Post Modern Director after all, "Postmodernism, like modernism and romanticism before it, fetishised [ie placed supreme importance on] the author, even when the author chose to indict or pretended to abolish him or herself. ( http://www.philosophynow.org/issue58/58kirby.htm )". Art is currently beyond Post Modernism. Quentin is not a pioneering artist like Bruce Conner or Craig Baldwin. Conner and Baldwin where and are artist who 'take samples of old films, and make new beautiful ones' QT is dealing in Artifice. Quentin makes dozens of simple minded references to movies and film that are apparent to ppl of certain generations like a white challenger in Death proof (he even reference his own reference here). Or gives tribute to a person by naming a character after them. But is there transparency in his films when he lifts structural elements from "The Rip-Off of Millie." or "Hitler - Dead or Alive"?Is he a very talented Hollywood Director? Yes. Is he a pioneer of film that takes real chances, the one who gets the arrows and moves Film froward as a art form? No! He is a settler, who comes in after the pioneers bleed and suffer. Snatches up the land and gets the credit.Now don't get me wrong I think his film are fun and his skill as a movie maker are excellent and improving constantly. Seeing a QT film can be like Drinking a Jolt cola or Eating A worlds Greatest hamburger. It is a Sunday morning Larger than life cartoon fun experience. Bam! Bam! Pow! and then the sugar wears off.....
I actually knew scream club when I was in Olympia. Or at least, would travel in the same general social circle as them. They were insufferable, and I thought their music was vastly overrated in Olympia. I think they got a lot of respect, in olympia, that they didn't deserve because they were queercore women doing hip hop, which were basically unicorns.
I posted the video/film because, I wanted to showcase the work of Emilie Jouvet. both of these films/videos where by Emilie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76E4Ayp7bj4 &
If I was focusing on Scream club I would Have posted, "You Belong" or "Life of a Heart Breaker" Fwiw worth though I do enjoy their music.
Art is currently beyond Post Modernism.
Not so fast myfriend!
Quentin makes dozens of simple minded references to movies and film that are apparent to ppl of certain generations like a white challenger in Death proof (he even reference his own reference here). Or gives tribute to a person by naming a character after them. But is there transparency in his films when he lifts structural elements from "The Rip-Off of Millie." or "Hitler - Dead or Alive"?
I couldn't disagree with you less about his references being simpleminded
Is he a very talented Hollywood Director? Yes. Is he a pioneer of film that takes real chances, the one who gets the arrows and moves Film froward as a art form? No! He is a settler, who comes in after the pioneers bleed and suffer. Snatches up the land and gets the credit.
Pah, dismissing QT as a settler is just fuddy duddy ism. You are angry because his films are popular, and the obscure films he references are not, because you love those old films. But so does QT. He adores film and film history, and I think you really undercredit the love and tribute that he gives these films.
Now don't get me wrong I think his film are fun and his skill as a movie maker are excellent and improving constantly. Seeing a QT film can be like Drinking a Jolt cola or Eating A worlds Greatest hamburger. It is a Sunday morning Larger than life cartoon fun experience. Bam! Bam! Pow! and then the sugar wears off.....
condescending nonsense!

The two videos above are indicative of reuse and repurposing of content as innovated by Bruce Conner; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_conner. This Structuralist use of recontextualization in film and later video and now computers is 50+ years old. Anthony Balch and William Burroughs experimented with the random recontextulization of audio, film and text in " Towers Open Fire (1962) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAxUWfe_PJY)" on a side note Tower's structural flow would later be used in the purposefuly organzized recontexctulaized pseudoDocumentary "Rocket Kit Congo Kit" by Craig Baldwin ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Baldwin ). This all comes from Brion Gysin's rediscovery of a Surrealist trick/game that he called the Cut up Technique ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-up_technique ) which Byrin used in his writing and shared with his close friend William S. Burroughs. I say trick/game because the surrealist often used games and the earliest example of this technique is of Tristan Tzara creating a poem out of random words from an audience. BigD I am not a condescending old fashioned hater. I just am not blown away or overly impressed at his commercialization of Structuralist techniques that are a half decade old, into the Hollywood narrative film formula. I don't judge mainstream films by there financial success nor do I judge the writer if they innovate the the three act structure or the heroes journey. I do judge films an filmmakers on how their films appeal an affect me. The Truth is Qt's films are like larger than life cartoons to me. I actually would love it if Qt' made a striped down raw 16mm film that was made with minimal investment and cinematatic technique...One that focused on the raw. but, that is just what i like. I want the raw unpolished truth of cinema to come back the stuff that use to seep around the edges of cheaply made drive in fair or the truth that creeped out of essensece of the real Grind House exploitation films of 42nd street....I did mention many times that John Waters is my favorite Director. David Lynch would be my most hated Director. I also do believe that QT loves what he does. I also do know that he truly is a lover of film. So, I am glad that he is the one being succcesful at doing what he does.in conclusion, we all like things or dislike things for our own reasons and that is good. I am not now, nor would I really want to change your perspective. This is really a preference issue. I need to watch what I say. I am just super jazzed that JoDo is back. I should not have called QT a thief. But to me Jodo will make contributions to film with King SHot that have been absent for a very long time.....ppl don't make films based of Metaphor and Symbolism like him any more. Well David Lynch does. But where the F.uck does he go with it.man, I am sure stepping in it lately. I need to get back on my LexaPro.

I did mention many times that John Waters is my favorite Director. David Lynch would be my most hated Director. I also do believe that QT loves what he does. I also do know that he truly is a lover of film. So, I am glad that he is the one being succcesful at doing what he does.
Yeah, this is probably the key of the issue, because i've never been a huge fan of waters (particularly his later work) but I really, really like lynch.
Yeah, this is probably the key of the issue, because i've never been a huge fan of waters (particularly his later work) but I really, really like lynch.
I am going to go out on limb here and guess we can both agree that RoB Zombie is F.ucken amazing! :club:
No I haven't, I haven't seen a ton of exploitation movies, truthfully. THe only thing I've seen in that particular genre would be Ilsa ( which is hot, obv).
Love Camp 7 is the Reason David Friedman made The Ilsa Films. from wiki; "The movie is seen as a cult classic, as it represents the beginnings of a series of exploitation films about women in prison in the 1970s, such as Women in Cages (1971) and The Big Bird Cage (1972), both of which made Pam Grier a recognizable name in the genre. It is also the first in the Nazi exploitation (or Nazisploitation) genre of concentration camp movies, including the Canadian Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS (1974) which was produced by David Friedman and led to several sequels with Dyanne Thorne as the titular character, and the Italian Nazi Love Camp 27 (1977) and Last Orgy of the Third Reich (1977), the latter of which helped launch Danielle Poggi's show business career." Love Camp 7 wiki; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Camp_7one of the most awesome, of the forgotten/lost films of 42nd street is "The Pickup" which actually stars Bob Cresse (Producer writer and lead actor)of Love Camp 7 and David Friedman (Producer) of the "Ilsa" films, as rival Gangsters.....And I can't forget to mention the awesome Director involved in "Love Camp 7" and "The Pick Up", Lee Frost. It is also important to mention that Cresse and Friedman where the big rivals of 42nd street/Drive in sleaze.

Hey, Quentin you could be out there. Lawrence is Romanian and has been known to play Poker....You know that Bob Cresse's life was freakin nuts. Make a serious, raw and low budget film about Bob Cresse's life, Quentin. You know his story has needed to be told for years....Talk to Friedman......if you need more info. Once Friedman dies.....f>uck!

i've never been a huge fan of waters (particularly his later work)
The work he does without "Hollywood" funding is vastly superior to the work he does with "Hollywood" money but he does bring a big chunk of that "Hollywood" money into Baltimore which is the awesome.