advice goofy or serious?

I think you're in for a rude awakening if you are thinking about what to wear for the final table before the tournament has even started.
Not sure if you bothered to read my original post where I said IF I am fortunate enough to make it to the final table.I take NOTHING for granted, but I am not in for any rude awakening.I won the satellite in a live rebuy tourney, and it is a complete freeroll for me, so it is all plus and I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
remember - if it is possible for you to sell/trade your seat for anything of value (legally, not chip dumping) then it isn't a freeroll.daniel
No not possible once I have the seat voucher, it is non-transferrable. I could have sold it before I won it and actually had a deal pending with the number 2 guy but he only wanted to pay me $3k for it, and I countered with $7k and he said no, so I said let's play for it.At this point if I don't play then it is a worthless piece of paper. I plan on just going and having a good time and at the very least I get good playing experience.

You should totally due what makes you comfortable and confident. I am goofy all the time when I play. I Krab dance, and wear wierd print shirts with ties, and do all kinds of goofy stuff, for many reasons. But I have practice doing it, and it's fun to do. You SHOULDN"T do it, if it makes you feel wierd or uncomfortable, or takes you off your game. be yourself, pretty much. Ultimatly, you don't need a gimick, you just need good poker and good luck.

Congrats and Good Luck.
Thanks Angler and all the positive folks on the board. I sent a message to Elkang regarding the structure but he may not be around to answer it so I thought I would post it here to see if anyone knows the answer.I guess I will know for sure tomorrow but am curious anyway. I called the Taj and was given two different answers regarding the structure. The woman I spoke to second sounded more credible, besides I prefer what she told me. She claims the structure for the main event is as follows:Blinds start at $25-50Starting chip count = $20kLevels = 90 minutes eachThis is a great structure in my opinion. Where any of you there last year?Do you know if this is accurate?Thanks!
Congrats and Good Luck.
Thanks Angler and all the positive folks on the board. I sent a message to Elkang regarding the structure but he may not be around to answer it so I thought I would post it here to see if anyone knows the answer.I guess I will know for sure tomorrow but am curious anyway. I called the Taj and was given two different answers regarding the structure. The woman I spoke to second sounded more credible, besides I prefer what she told me. She claims the structure for the main event is as follows:Blinds start at $25-50Starting chip count = $20kLevels = 90 minutes eachThis is a great structure in my opinion. Where any of you there last year?Do you know if this is accurate?Thanks!
sounds great, and good luck. if the seat isn't transferrable than I guess you'll just have to sit yourself and cash. oh well :wink: take 'er down,daniel
i think its +EV to do something idiotic, unless you are in a position to make a serious cash. but i think if you're headed to the final table, really short-stacked, its not a bad idea to just do something stupid for publicity and hopefully rake in some endorsement money.
Unless you want to play shirtless with "goldenpalace.com" written across your chest, I cant imagine what kind of company is looking to endorse a loser who acts like an idiot the first time a TV camera gets pointed in his direction. How much endorsement money do you think Druff made off the seat twirl incident? This reminds me so much of my 3 year old. Kids crave attention. They dont care if it's good or bad, so they act like little idiots to get noticed. This is something we hope they will grow out of as they gain some maturity. Based on Druff's table antics, and the existence of this thread, we see that some people never grow out of it.
i think its +EV to do something idiotic, unless you are in a position to make a serious cash. but i think if you're headed to the final table, really short-stacked, its not a bad idea to just do something stupid for publicity and hopefully rake in some endorsement money.
Unless you want to play shirtless with "goldenpalace.com" written across your chest, I cant imagine what kind of company is looking to endorse a loser who acts like an idiot the first time a TV camera gets pointed in his direction. How much endorsement money do you think Druff made off the seat twirl incident? This reminds me so much of my 3 year old. Kids crave attention. They dont care if it's good or bad, so they act like little idiots to get noticed. This is something we hope they will grow out of as they gain some maturity. Based on Druff's table antics, and the existence of this thread, we see that some people never grow out of it.
I have not seen what Dan Druff did so I cannot comment, but I already have made several posts to indicate that I will be doing nothing to stand out other then, hopefully play good poker.I will take it one day at a time and see what happens.
Good luck majorleag.
Thanks four. I am taking it one day at a time, kinda like a 12 step program!Hopefully I will make a decent showing day by day and last at least long enough to show up in the Card Player updates.In any event I take it pretty damn seriously, but at the same time I want to soak it all in and have a good time.While I know there will be some very good players, I don't think the competition will be nearly as stiff as the WSOP or the WPT.I think this event event, though it is a $10k buy in and televised, is kind of like a bastard stepchild in comparison to the other tourney's and as such probably will have very few if any known pro's.Last year Joe Cassidy came in second and Hoyt Corkins came in third but I don't think Hoyt will be there this year. I could be wrong but it just doesn't look like an event that too many pros come out for.
I have not seen what Dan Druff did so I cannot comment, but I already have made several posts to indicate that I will be doing nothing to stand out other then, hopefully play good poker.I will take it one day at a time and see what happens.
Heh heh. Sorry. The original post just struck me the wrong way I guess. I think you made the wise choice. Good luck.
Heh heh. Sorry. The original post just struck me the wrong way I guess. I think you made the wise choice. Good luck.
No problem.Believe me I take all of this very seriously, but at the same time I have a sense of humor and don't ever want to take myself too seriously. Life is way to short. I am a reasaonably successful and well adjusted individual but I love games of all kinds and refuse to completely grow up. The only reason I even for a moment considered goofy, is that once you have established yourself as a poker player with skill you certainly do not need any kind of gimmick. However having said that, how many people would know about Phil "The Unabomber" Laak for example if he had not started dressing like that?Now he appears sometimes without the goofy hooded sweatshirt but had he not started that way, I doubt he would have gotten nearly the attention he got.Having said all that, since I am confident that if god willing I make it to the TV table this time it won't be my last time, so I won't need to resort to tomfoolery.If I don't make it, I will make it another time, so again I won't need to resort to anything goofy.I am just looking forward to taking it day by day and see what happens. It really makes no difference how good I play or think I can play if I don't catch some cards!Let the fun begin T - 24 and 1/2 hours!
I kinda doubt they'd let you wear the goofy hat. I've never seen much shenanigans at the USPC.
the shirt idea made me laugh. Just be you. Remember how bad druff came off trying to ham it up for tv. some of us are just naturally funny at the table. I've been blessed with that gift. Unfortunately, I haven't been blessed with great poker skills. Thus, I will never get to show how truly funny I am to the world b/c I will never make a final table.I was gonna use a line from School of Rock but I forgot it. It was gonna be funny though.
I know what I would wear....you would love this Ron. My sister got me this shirt...It has Will Ferrell on the front in his Ron Burgundy costume and under him it says "You may not know this....but I am kind of a big deal."Now I just have to make a final table.....
I kinda doubt they'd let you wear the goofy hat. I've never seen much shenanigans at the USPC.
the shirt idea made me laugh. Just be you. Remember how bad druff came off trying to ham it up for tv. some of us are just naturally funny at the table. I've been blessed with that gift. Unfortunately, I haven't been blessed with great poker skills. Thus, I will never get to show how truly funny I am to the world b/c I will never make a final table.I was gonna use a line from School of Rock but I forgot it. It was gonna be funny though.
I know what I would wear....you would love this Ron. My sister got me this shirt...It has Will Ferrell on the front in his Ron Burgundy costume and under him it says "You may not know this....but I am kind of a big deal."Now I just have to make a final table.....
Nice. almost 1k posts BROSEFF.This is how I roll.
Very nice!
Nice. almost 1k posts BROSEFF.This is how I roll.
Whats a BROSEFF? Is that a certain type of manziere? 1000th post is up baby....and I wrote something very profound for you all....