an *objective* look at shortstack strategy

I skipped all the arguing, and just wanted to point out something I thought of, sorry if anyone mentioned it already.The strategy sounds fine as aseem explained it. But I have a problem with it. And it's not a problem about whether I prefer short or deep stacks personally...But i'm reminded of what Phil Gordon wrote about Prahlad Friedman in the Little Green Book. He mentions his unbeatable style of overbetting with strong draws, and strong made hands. Now think about this in terms of being short stacked. The short stack works because you're limiting your decisions, and playing less streets. What if you buy-in for the max though, and make extra large raises, and overbet the pot on the flop. Get yourself all-in regardless. When you get called, you'll either be ahead and win, or have a decent hand that could win anyway. But instead of doubling your short buy-in, you are doubling your larger buy-in. This obviously won't work right away, because people will think your nuts and just fold. But eventually they will have to start calling you, and if you're playing premium hands, then you should win more than you lose. And isn't that why the shortstack strategy works anyway?So why not buy-in for the max, and play a similar strategy anyway, and it both maximized your profits, and limits the factor of being outplayed postflop. Obviously thinking in terms of numbers, it seems like a tough way to do it, and maybe it's not possible, but i'm talking more in theory anyway. And if you can't work the numbers with a 100bb buyin, why not do 50 instead of 10 or 20, then this should work just fine, and you'll still be making more when you do win. It shouldn't be about losing less though, because over time, things like that should even out anyway. No matter what you buy-in for.P.S. I kinda suck at explaining things like this, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody actually played a decent number of hands with this method? Any postings of results -ie number of hands, limits, ptbbs etc may be enlightening.I personally tried it out at a small limit and got murdered. But it was only for a couple of hours, and all of my big hands got cracked when they were favourites.