scariest pro to be sitting across from???

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say Layne Flack, Gus, and Ivey. They are all very aggressive and will play any 2 cards. I would imagine it would be kinda hard to get a read on them. But I would say it would be equally as hard to play against players like DN, Brunson, Lederer, E-Dog, and Williams because they are such solid players.

can't believe no one has said ellix powers. that guy gets called down with "jack-high" (close enough) he must be doing something right.and while i would be very afraid sitting across from barry greenstein, i'd be far more afraid sitting in front of him with that count chocula look. i'd wear a scarf. a garlic scarf.daniel

can't believe no one has said ellix powers. that guy gets called down with "jack-high" (close enough) he must be doing something right.and while i would be very afraid sitting across from barry greenstein, i'd be far more afraid sitting in front of him with that count chocula look. i'd wear a scarf. a garlic scarf.daniel
the only reason i'd be afraid to sit across from ellix is that he is the only poker player more broke than I. desperate people can do desperate things.scariest to sit across from (i take this to mean people i don't like my chances against)iveygreensteinforrest reesebrunsoncaromen the masterseidelleddererbut the scariest to sit across from:X-22 - woudn't want to look at him for long periods of timeEllix Powers - for reason mentioned abovethis one huge guy (at least 450 lbs) i saw knock people over while running to the bathroom at the legendsliebert - hellmuth - cause i don't like to fight and i think he's an asscloutier - cause if i do win he could so easily kick my ass (embarrasing to say about someone over twice my age -but true)_____________________________________________www.pokulator.com check the odds, raise your game

Here's a twist on this thread, because so many people are saying how some of these pros would "own" every member of this forum.If someone staked you $500,000 to play heads up against Phil Ivey, where you had no tie to that money whatsoever (you wouldn't have to pay back if you lost, and you don't get anything if you win), it's basically play money to you, do you really feel that NOBODY on this forum could beat him (or any other top pro, not just Ivey)? And even though the money isn't linked to you, it's still real money that the lender is hoping you turn into more, so there is motivation not to just play like a donkey.I'm not a pro, I don't claim to be one, but I understand the game of poker pretty well. I know when to call or fold based on my outs, etc. as most everyone else here does. I think I am very good at hiding any excitment or fear, and this would be very easy if it wasn't my money. Therefore, I would love to play a pro under those circumstances. And not for nothing, I think there are many players on this forum who could be a real challenge to these guys.My thought is that these guys have 3 things that make them stand out amongst the majority of players.1) Obviously, they have a very good understanding of the game. But, so do many non-pros.2) They have the bankroll to play at these ridiculously high limits, and as Ivey says himslef, he's not scared to lose $500k in a session. He doesn't have that fear.3) Experience. Pro's have payed so much that they have seen just about every possible scenario (well, Doyle has anyway).I think the experience factor is the one BIG factor in playing a non pro. You can balance the other 2, but this is the big one, although I think if you take your time to analyze the hand, you can make good decisions without having seen everything before.Anyway, I guess the summary of all this is the simple question...If you had no fear about losing the money, do you believe you could give any pro a challenge heads up?

I really think that sitting across from Doyle has got to be terrifiing. This man has seen everything and done everything. You cant scare him with money or very much else. Hearing the stories about being help at gun point and such in the old Texas days. He has got to be the scariest. I would also take TJ as a close second. That guy is huge!

Here's a twist on this thread, because so many people are saying how some of these pros would "own" every member of this forum.If someone staked you $500,000 to play heads up against Phil Ivey, where you had no tie to that money whatsoever (you wouldn't have to pay back if you lost, and you don't get anything if you win), it's basically play money to you, do you really feel that NOBODY on this forum could beat him (or any other top pro, not just Ivey)? And even though the money isn't linked to you, it's still real money that the lender is hoping you turn into more, so there is motivation not to just play like a donkey.I'm not a pro, I don't claim to be one, but I understand the game of poker pretty well. I know when to call or fold based on my outs, etc. as most everyone else here does. I think I am very good at hiding any excitment or fear, and this would be very easy if it wasn't my money. Therefore, I would love to play a pro under those circumstances. And not for nothing, I think there are many players on this forum who could be a real challenge to these guys.My thought is that these guys have 3 things that make them stand out amongst the majority of players.1) Obviously, they have a very good understanding of the game. But, so do many non-pros.2) They have the bankroll to play at these ridiculously high limits, and as Ivey says himslef, he's not scared to lose $500k in a session. He doesn't have that fear.3) Experience. Pro's have payed so much that they have seen just about every possible scenario (well, Doyle has anyway).I think the experience factor is the one BIG factor in playing a non pro. You can balance the other 2, but this is the big one, although I think if you take your time to analyze the hand, you can make good decisions without having seen everything before.Anyway, I guess the summary of all this is the simple question...If you had no fear about losing the money, do you believe you could give any pro a challenge heads up?
i think for well over 90% of players on this forum, myself included, the best chance of winning in a heads-up match with most of the pros mentioned, would have the best chance of winning if we just moved all-in pre-flop every single hand. i honestly believe getting at least 15-20% chance this way, and possibly more, is greater than the chance nearly every professional player would have in a deep-stacked heads-up match.daniel
I know most people here would say Ivey.... but after catching some of the wpt tonight...... my answer has switched to Forrest. I can't put my finger on it.... but they guy just seems to exude such confidence in that he knows exactly what he's doing at every point in time.
1127932694-day-1c-012.jpg'nuff said.
:club:

Id have to say Chris Moneymaker. Those wraparounds are very intimidating. Hes also one of the best poker players. Seriously though I wouldnt fear anyone in a tournament. Its not like I would be in one unless I won a satellite or was playing in cash games high enough to support a 10K buy in so I could really care less who was sitting at my table because I would be employing the build'em up early or dump 'em off for the cash game strategy. If I win a satellite its close to a freeroll and If i play high enough I could go win it back in two hours. I only get intimidated when Im in over my head in a cash game, tournaments are really for fun. I think that this discussion would be funner if applied to a shorthanded cash game.