devilfish on raymer.

i think there was some element of truth to the devilfish words, but i think also they were said out of frustration. one person said that raymer should have raised if he thought his 6s were good, to that i disagree, i think against an aggressive player who is or maybe on 2 high cards you get more chips by calling and letting them bluff a few more chips off. a guy like devilfish is a real tricky guy to raise with 66 in that spot, for 1 he may shut it down and fold or 2 he may pop all in and make u lay down the winner. All that said, i do think raymer puts himself in a ton of marginal situations, thats what i think is bad about his play, but we all have different opinions about his play.
This POST is right on the money.Raising with those sixes on the turn might have been the dumbest thing you can do against a bulldozer type player like Devilfish.
i think there was some element of truth to the devilfish words, but i think also they were said out of frustration. one person said that raymer should have raised if he thought his 6s were good, to that i disagree, i think against an aggressive player who is or maybe on 2 high cards you get more chips by calling and letting them bluff a few more chips off.
Agreed 100%. I like to give Raymer a hard time, but he played the hand very well. There is no reason to make a raise on the turn when you pick up an open-ended straight draw with a legit pair that might be good right now. If you get re-raised, you might have to muck and if he folds you probably cost yourself chips assuming Devilfish doesn't outdraw on the river.

You know I hear stuff like this all the time... often I tell the person I disagree and that I don't want to hear it. When it occurs at a tournament, I tell them to tell the player directly themselves about how they suck and misplayed this hand etc. At this point they tend to shut up. I fear there is no way to combat this online.Anyone who thinks Raymer is a calling station is speaking untruthfully or is an idiot. I don't know how HurricaneKyle plays, but he posts like donk.

Devilfish is awesome, I like how he mixes it up with the other players. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. His table personality is scarily similar to mine, except I don't have the bling or the suits.
Next time I see him, maybe I should tell him that his table personality is just like this internet guy from Tennessee.Hey, I'm just dishing on a guy who shot first... see how that works out?

i think that probably the majority of people on here appreciate what Raymer's accomplished and do in fact believe he is a very skilled player. It's not logical to say that a professional gambler was unwise to "take a gamble with a marginal hand". This is what makes guys Gus Hansen, Daniel Negreanu, and many others "fairly" successful in poker and obviously it is something you can take advantage of. You do have to catch cards to play and win with marginal hands, but catching cards is how you beat premium/made hands. Catching cards is lucky, but not something to be made fun of - it's a big part of the game.... Get used to it.

disclaimer: i do not think raymer is a terrible player. i do not think he is world class from what i've seen either, but he is certainly good.To the guy who said that raymers bad plays are always agressive and raises, and not calls, from the same broadcast he called an all in with AT on a A5388 board. Admittedly I play cash games not tourneys, but this seems to make no sense to me. And the way he played it on all streets prior to that was check/call. I'm not convinced raymer made a "great read" against devilfish. He certainly didn't make a "great read" here. It seems on the river he errs by calling with the loser rather than folding the winner. This is not wrong, but this may have been what devilfish meant.

disclaimer: i do not think raymer is a terrible player. i do not think he is world class from what i've seen either, but he is certainly good.To the guy who said that raymers bad plays are always agressive and raises, and not calls, from the same broadcast he called an all in with AT on a A5388 board. Admittedly I play cash games not tourneys, but this seems to make no sense to me. And the way he played it on all streets prior to that was check/call.  I'm not convinced raymer made a "great read" against devilfish. He certainly didn't make a "great read" here. It seems on the river he errs by calling with the loser rather than folding the winner. This is not wrong, but this may have been what devilfish meant.
You don't play much against LAGS do you?He was in the hand with the AT against Mark Seif.....You can rely on Seif to fire away at every street.....THERE IS ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with checking and calling against a player that is liable to bluff away most of his stack against you.

Let me add this....Greg Raymer is a GREAT NL Tourney player...not good....GREAT.All of you bashing him can learn a thing or two by just watching him play.If you have never called on the river with a marginal hand or just merely ACE HIGH...you are probably not much of a player or you just don't try to read other players and just play your own hand.

devilfish got caught bluffing and got censored..bottom line..raymer is an excellent poker player and from everything i have heard  about him  an even nicer person...
wtf u like the smiths iveyfan? i thought i was prolly the only person in the world who listened to that stuff still. i like almost all the music from that time period. rem, depeche mode, the replacements, all that shit.
disclaimer: i do not think raymer is a terrible player. i do not think he is world class from what i've seen either, but he is certainly good.To the guy who said that raymers bad plays are always agressive and raises, and not calls, from the same broadcast he called an all in with AT on a A5388 board. Admittedly I play cash games not tourneys, but this seems to make no sense to me. And the way he played it on all streets prior to that was check/call. I'm not convinced raymer made a "great read" against devilfish. He certainly didn't make a "great read" here. It seems on the river he errs by calling with the loser rather than folding the winner. This is not wrong, but this may have been what devilfish meant.
You don't play much against LAGS do you?He was in the hand with the AT against Mark Seif.....You can rely on Seif to fire away at every street.....THERE IS ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with checking and calling against a player that is liable to bluff away most of his stack against you.
Thank you. I mean look who he was in that Ace10 hand against please. Probably the most aggressive guy at the table. Check/calling is a great way to deal with a super aggressive player in many instances.Face it. Raymer is a very good tournament player. I thought his lasting deep into this year's main event would have ended these Raymer stinks diatribes.
"I forgot to never bluff a calling station.""I forgot that you called down with everything last year."David Ulliot on Fossilman. Truer words were never spoken. Devilfish is awesome, I like how he mixes it up with the other players. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. His table personality is scarily similar to mine, except I don't have the bling or the suits.
Raymer was raising every pot last year, and re-raising peoples bets from what we saw on tv.....i like devilfish more than Raymer...but that was uncalled for...as usual though, Raymer handled it with class.