how much do you pay yourself?

I'm currently transitioning from playing tourneys full-time over to playing cash games.I currently play 1-2nl on UB, I was just wondering as you move up in levels and are building your bankroll, how much do you usually pay yourself, seeing as this is my only source of income.Anyone with experience on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I currently play 1-2nl ....seeing as this is my only source of income.
ughset some goals, how much do you want to pay yourself, are you trying to build your bankroll, how much do you need to play based on your avg bb/100 to reach those goals?if your avg bb/100 is 3 and your making $6/100 how many hands do you need to play to reach your 'take out' goal and 'bankroll building' goal. "if you dont know where your trying to get you'll never figure out how to get there" -dna

God that's just so frustrating. Just peddling around in the middle not making enough to be comfortable and if i take the profits off continuosly a bad run of luck and cards could cripple me.Blah. Maybe we can both go on huge rushes and not have to worry about this.

I currently play 1-2nl  ....seeing as this is my only source of income.
ughset some goals, how much do you want to pay yourself, are you trying to build your bankroll, how much do you need to play based on your avg bb/100 to reach those goals?if your avg bb/100 is 3 and your making $6/100 how many hands do you need to play to reach your 'take out' goal and 'bankroll building' goal. "if you dont know where your trying to get you'll never figure out how to get there" -dna
You're on fire today. i like the sound ugh., i'm gonna use that when i'm raming from behind

I have not been playing that much as of late due to a myriad assortment of reasons, but when I was playing several hours a day I was paying myself $1k a week.

I have not been playing that much as of late due to a myriad assortment of reasons, but when I was playing several hours a day I was paying myself $1k a week.
I was looking more for like a % of winnings seeing as how our win rates could be much different, if I could afford to be giving myself 1k a week and still be building this post would be much more upbeat
I was looking more for like a % of winnings seeing as how our win rates could be much different, if I could afford to be giving myself 1k a week and still be building this post would be much more upbeat
Take 10% Out? I dunno man...

I guess I misunderstood the question. I thought it was "How much of a salary do u pay yourself" each week or whenever. As far as a % I really do not know. It doesn't factor in to my payment. I gave myself that much per week for bills and such. We do have a new mortgage but my GF and I don't buy a lot of "stuff" so our monthly "nut" is only about $6k. I pay myself $4k and with what she makes we have funds for going out to eat and stuff and doing little things here and there. I keep a decent amount available for online play and an even more decent amount in cash for live play when I go to LV or find a good street/drag race on which I can wager. My GF calls me "the last of the cash people" and she works for a bank so she knows . I LOVE cash . I mean its just fun. I am not a fan of credit cards. I keep 1.02 pounds of $100 bills on hand at all times. I know a few were curious but I can't make the answer too easy.

Don't kid yourself. Why is everyone a winning player on here?

I do not really pay myself. I give myself an occasional bonus. Many people do things differently, this is just my way. I like to build my bankroll; this is not to move up in limits, at least not immediately, but to deal with the possibility of a large future downswing. I take out 6.5k a month for bills. This covers house payments, internet, food, etc. I suppose you may consider this a salary, but these are my basic bills and I look at them as living and business expenses to keep me going. The rest of the money goes in my bankroll. Occasionally I will give myself a bonus. A new TV, a night out at the strip club, a massage chair, or similar types of frivolous luxuries. The one thing that I don’t think any poker player can ever afford to forget is the most basic thing; you can’t make any money playing poker without money to play with. One of my good friends had two bad sessions last week. The first cost him 10k, the second cost him 25k. Unless you are Phil Ivey, or Pralhad Friedman, those swings really hurt, and they put a dent into your bankroll. Variance happens to everyone; just keep enough money in your BR to be prepared for it. Pay yourself as much as you need to keep yourself going, save the fun stuff for when you are successful.Just my .02

Also I do not think everyone on here is a "winning" player. A decent percentage are probably winning to some degree because they study the game. However, aside from talking about "bad beats" many people do not come on here to talk about how much they lose. Some people like 93transam are obviously not successful players. However, they still have opinions to contribute to the forum. Poker is about one thing, winning money. However, in a forum like this which gathers its following from a poker celebrity I think too much emphasis is placed on being a "winning player." Many people who come here are probably recreational. I feel that being a barely winning player is over rated. I read a post not long ago where a guy spent his entire summer playing 50 hours or more per week, and his profits were less then $2.3k. A person could make more working at McDonalds. So being mildly profitable is vastly over rated. What is not over rated is learning. While he was not profitable in monitarily (IMO) since the time he spent had a greater opportunity cost then actualized pay. He was profitable overall, the player appeared to have learned the odds, and advanced his strategy. Those people paying their bills and earning nothing more playing 0.5/$1-2/4NL, or small stakes limit and not thinking about their game are horrible players. I would rather have a forum full of penny stakes players who are dumping all the money they deposit but thinking about how to improve.

The way I do it is to set goals. Once you have a bankroll for the limit you are going to play consistently at, you can withdraw your profit each week. Once I started playing big and winning significant amounts of money, I set a list of priorites. First I wanted to put at least 20k away in an account in case of a rainy day, plus when I first started out with serious poker I lost 20k so I wanted to 'get it back' so to speak. Then I wanted to make enough to pay my tuition through the rest of school. Then I wanted to make enough to get a nice double-monitor set up to play online in style (www.voodoopc.com (my preference) + dual 30-inch Apple Cinema HD = WIN by the way, soooo +EV even more than I thought it would be). These were my top priorities and while I saved the money to meet them I only allowed myself $200 a week in petty expenses. Once I accomplished those goals I increased my cash spending limit because I no longer had any pressing need for the money, just a general desire to save it. Basically, don't think "how much can I pay myself?" but think "what do I need money for?" and then set your sights on that amount. My goal now is a new car and a down payment on a house, and even though I don't need either of those in the forseeable future I still am discplined in spending habits while I slowly climb the mountain.

i had a job to pay rent and then never cashed out until a reached limits that I was satisfied with. Or limits that I felt I could support myself. that way i could just use my poker winnings to build my roll and use my paychecks to live.After that, i just cashed out anything that went over my roll. say you have a $5,000 roll. At the end of the weak, if you have $8,000 in, take 3k out.

Just reading this post gave me a stiffy. GF and i both go to college full time and work full time. I make a decent wage, but she doesn't really. I discovered online poker about a year ago and wasn't very successful for the first couple of months. Read many poker books and adopted a tight aggressive stragegy and things have been wonderful since then. My goal is just to make $25 a day playing 2 tables at partys $25 NL. Since i don't have much spare time on my hands, i usually only have to play about an hour a day to accomplish my goal. I know i'm not netting crap compared to your folks earnings, but i'm pleased as can be. $800 bucks a month goes a long way in the midwest. Someday i'd like to be able to afford to keep my earnings online and move up in limits, but i'll take what i can get for now. Marginal gains with minimal risk. More power to you guys.

I don't touch my regular poker profits. Instead, I pay myself only from my rakeback payments and the odd reload bonus.This allows my bankroll to increase quickly each month, because I am not taking any money directly out of it.Also, by paying myself from the rakeback, I don't have the pressure of HAVING to win each and every month. I simply put in a required number of hands each month, and I will be paid a steady wage from my rakeback payments. So basically, whether my bankroll increases, breaks even or falls that month, doesn't effect what I pay myself each month.Poker can be a steady wage, if you manage your money and your time effectively.

Don't kid yourself. Why is everyone a winning player on here?
:think: Why ? :think:
Hey I was wondering if you wanted to meet me in a dark alley because theres this girl, I mean twins, er there's three of them man, and they want you to um, watch them. Oh, dont forget your 50K. thanks.
:? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :?