sshe - what did you take from it

Long time lurker, first time poster. I read SSHE again recently, and it made me realize just how little I knew before delving into poker. Suffice it to say, I'd be much worse player had I not read it. Just wondering what everyone here took from it, and what chapters/topics opened your eyes most. Thanks to everyone also for posting their hands and great discussion, it doesn't go unnoticed. Once I get back on the wagon, I intend on adding to and discussing.Take it easy, and good luck.~Chas: Is it dark? Richie: Of course it's dark. It's a suicide note. ~

Hey Detroit, I probably have less experience than a lot of people here, but I found the chapter on Protecting Your Hand the most eye-opening. The hidden outs stuff was good, as was the advice about playing middle pairs. But the biggest single message I took came from the introduction: If everyone folded, you wouldn't make a profit.

I picked it up a few weeks ago and read it completely (even the games I don't play) on my trip to Hawaii.I had also realized why I hadn't bought a book ever before. It's because I didn't learn much. I'm not going to say I learned nothing. Among the few things I took from it and applied to my game was a higher level of aggression, more betting out on the flop etc.However, it made me appreciate the lessons I have paid for and learned over the years. The lessons someone can pay 40 bucks for to learn, have been learned by myself and to me they're more valuable and more memorable because I've experienced them first hand. Inevitably I don't think that the average person can take those "pre-learned," lessons from a book and apply them to their game without experience the pitfalls of bad plays, bad calls, bad decisions etc.Of the few things I did learn:The value of low suited connectors: 56, and 67 suited (89 and 910 are bad because they make the igorant end to straights of which many people play the higher part, J10, QJ etc). I ran them thru odds calculators and learned some valuable lessons. For one, suited connectors play better against high pocket pair. Not much better, but still better than under-pp (Ala AA vs KK). They also are sneakier. No one expects someone to call a raise with them, and if the flop comes 6K6, AK is going to discount the possibility of 56 entirely (as demonstarted by my bad-beats post "Full Tilt is Killing Me"). The other thing: pp sucks, AK is awesome. pp are great when they hit their set, other than that, they are extremely hard to play. They also don't require the taking up of a card... as in you have 88, the flop is 7 8 9, now what? You have a strong hand that can be easily drawn out on, if not behind already. Hands like AK take up a slot in the rank that are less likely to fill up a straight (although it can obviously). Now you have A 8 9 on the flop, you know you are 95% of the time ahead. If you don't hit your A or K, you can easily fold them. You don't feel compelled to continue calling when if you hold AA to a flop of 8 9 10 or whatever, you do feel like you have the best hand. That doesn't mean don't play them, it simply means that you need to be more willing to play them cautiously after the flop and be prepared to put them down. Also, who makes money winning only 55% of the time? You want to be putting your chips in as a 75% favorite, 90%, or the best, having your opponent drawing dead. Especially if you are a tourny or SNG player. 55% (the odds of pp vs overcards) is not enough to win consistently imo... 55% doesn't beat the rake on most sites.

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I read SSHE again recently, and it made me realize just how little I knew before delving into poker.  
Try to grasp several concepts at a time ad the rereread again, or atleast chapters you do not understand completly. You'll will be amazed how much more you can gain out of future readings and poker sessions.Many ppl think they muct finish the book ASAP, WRONG. Take your time, take it chapter by chapter and then try to apply the concepts.There's too much info in that book, digest it slowly. Thats what I took out of it.
I picked it up a few weeks ago and read it completely (even the games I don't play) on my trip to Hawaii.I had also realized why I hadn't bought a book ever before. It's because I didn't learn much. I'm not going to say I learned nothing. Among the few things I took from it and applied to my game was a higher level of aggression, more betting out on the flop etc.
Are you sure you're talking about the right book? SSHE is small stakes hold'em, from your "even the games I dont play" comment (and the not learning much :club: ) it sounds like you are talking about super system.