ak offsuit in nl

hello everybody. Going through my PokerTracker Hand histories, i've discovered that AK offsuit is my biggest losing hand. I knew I was losing with it, and I've been trying to play it different ways, but I cant seem to figure out a way to win consistently. I am currently averaging a little more than 5BB/100 hands with about 13,300 hands recorded. I am not sure if this is enough hands to have a truly accurate picture of anything, but I think it's fairly representative of my play.First, I have had AKo dealt 147 times (since I got PT) so again, I am not even sure if that is enough hands to properly judge the way I am playing it. So If I should wait 3 or 4 hundred more hands, let me know. Anyway PT info for AKo is:CCPF: 4 (not sure what ccpf means)VP$IP: 91.84%W$WSF: 50.46 (not sure of w$wsf)PFR%: 64.63RFI%: 23.81LwPC: 10.20WtSD: 22.94W$SD: 36.00Ill post a couple winning and losing hand histories as well:------------------------------------------------------------------Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) converterMP1 ($35.55)MP2 ($98.85)MP3 ($64.85)CO ($28.80)Button ($119.40)SB ($54.40)BB ($50)UTG ($42)Hero ($104.55)Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with [Kc], [Ah]. 1 fold, BB calls $2.50.Flop: ($7.50) [3s], [6s], [7s] (2 players)BB checks, Hero bets $5, BB calls $5.Turn: ($17.50) [4d] (2 players)BB checks, Hero checks.River: ($17.50) [Kd] (2 players)BB bets $10, Hero calls $10.Final Pot: $37.50Results in white below: BB has 5d 5c (straight, seven high). Hero has Kc Ah (one pair, kings). CO doesn't show. Outcome: BB wins $37.50. -------------------------------------------------------------Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) converterMP2 ($106.70)MP3 ($74.05)CO ($27.55)Button ($28.50)SB ($6.60)BB ($55)UTG ($94)Hero ($96)MP1 ($281.60)Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with [Ah], [Kc]. 1 fold, Hero calls $2.Flop: ($7.50) [4h], [6d], [Ad] (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 bets $7.5, Hero calls $7.50.Turn: ($22.50) [9s] (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 bets $36, Hero calls $36.River: ($94.50) [8s] (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 bets $94.5, Hero calls $49.50 (All-In).Final Pot: $238.50Results in white below: Hero has Ah Kc (one pair, aces). MP1 has 9c Ac (two pair, aces and nines). Outcome: MP1 wins $238.50. ---------------------------------------------Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converterMP1 ($127.50)MP2 ($51.55)Hero ($109.75)CO ($20.75)Button ($18.50)SB ($62.10)BB ($73.20)UTG ($28.25)UTG+1 ($134.45)UTG+2 ($92.40)Preflop: Hero is MP3 with [Ah], [Ks]. UTG+1 calls $1, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $3, MP2 calls $3.Flop: ($13.50) [8h], [Ad], [4s] (4 players)UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $7, UTG+1 calls $7, MP2 calls $7.Turn: ($34.50) [2d] (4 players)UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $15, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $15.River: ($64.50) [6d] (3 players)MP2 bets $25.55 (All-In), Hero calls $25.55.Final Pot: $115.60Results in white below: UTG has (one pair, aces). MP2 has 8d Jd (flush, ace high). Hero has Ah Ks (one pair, aces). Outcome: MP2 wins $115.60. ---------------------------------------------Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converterMP1 ($24.85)MP2 ($90.80)MP3 ($101.05)CO ($95.15)Button ($118.35)SB ($99.75)Hero ($100)UTG ($192.55)UTG+1 ($107.75)UTG+2 ($164.45)Preflop: Hero is BB with [Kd], [Ac]. 1 fold, UTG+1 calls $2.50, Button calls $2.50, SB folds.Flop: ($11.50) [As], [7s], [8c] (3 players)Hero bets $11.5, UTG+1 calls $11.50, Button folds.Turn: ($34.50) [Kh] (2 players)Hero bets $15, UTG+1 calls $15.River: ($64.50) [9d] (2 players)Hero bets $15, UTG+1 calls $15.Final Pot: $94.50Results in white below: Hero has Kd Ac (two pair, aces and kings). UTG+1 has 2s Ah (one pair, aces). Outcome: Hero wins $94.50. ---------------------------------------------Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed) converterMP3 ($196.25)CO ($166)Button ($124.15)SB ($96)BB ($127)UTG ($61.15)UTG+1 ($158.25)UTG+2 ($199.80)Hero ($210.75)MP2 ($108.50)Preflop: Hero is MP1 with [Ad], [Ks]. 1 fold, UTG+2 calls $6, Hero calls $6.Flop: ($27) [6c], [6h], [Kh] (4 players)UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, CO bets $8, CO folds.Final Pot: $86Results in white below: UTG doesn't show. Hero doesn't show. Outcome: Hero wins $64.50. UTG wins $21.50. -----------------------------------------------------Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) converterUTG+1 ($438.75)Hero ($195)MP2 ($163.15)MP3 ($235.25)CO ($37.55)Button ($287.75)SB ($55.40)BB ($198)UTG ($297.35)Preflop: Hero is MP1 with [Ah], [Kc]. UTG calls $2, 1 fold, UTG calls $2, Hero calls $2, MP2 calls $2.Flop: ($19) [Jh], [Ac], [2c] (4 players)UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets $8, MP2 folds, CO folds, UTG raises to 293.35 and is all in, Hero folds.Final Pot: $93Results in white below: UTG won the pot. (This hand wouldnt convert properly in Bison so I had to edit it)In the above hand I put him on JJ, but it's been bugging me because now I think he was on a flush draw.Anyhow... Thanks for any insight. I'll post more histories if needed. I kind of feel like In Limit Holdem, I can play AK, but in No Limit, I have no confidence in the hand, and frequently can't get away from it.... ffishh

Hand 1: Just unlucky to a donk opponent.Hand 2: Raise pre-flop. Bet/raise the flop. You might still have lost money...but you'd feel better about yourself. You got way too attached to calling huge sums with TPTK.Hand 3: Bet more on the flop and turn. The donkey still might catch his flush on the end...but you would've done more to dissuade him.Hand 4: Raise more pre-flop from the BB. Bet more on the turn and river. He's got a worse ace or a flush draw. Gotta make him pay.Hand 5: Raise pre-flop.Hand 6: Raise pre-flop.It seems to me that you've progressively gotten more passive and "careful" as you've become less fond of the hand. These later hands show that you seem to want to play trappy or tricky with it. At these levels of NL, just play it in a straightforward manner: Raise pre-flop. Bet the flop. If you encounter resistantance, re-evaluate.

Hand 1: Very unlucky, dont see how you can get away from that oneHand 2: Raise preflop, when you show weakness you'll have to make tough decisions. Raise the flop, make it like 23. I think once he bets 1.5x the size of the pot on the turn, I get scared and would probably foldHand 3: This one is just silly to have runner runner flush take you down. The only other course of action could be to bet $20 on the turn, because there are two people against you.Hand 4: Looks fine to meHand 5: Raise preflop. Raising that flop to $51 is only going to get you a call from a hand that beats you. Make it like $32, that way you get rid of draws and get KQ to maybe come along for the ride.Hand 6: Raise preflop. The problem: I can see your opponent pushing in with as little as AK, KQs(Straight and flush draw), or even AQ or as much as AA or JJ. Why? Because you didnt raise preflop. Showing that much weakness preflop makes it quite unlikely that you hold something as big as AK. You don't want to leave yourself difficult decisions. You can't narrow your opponents range of hands. If you had raised preflop and gotten reraised you can throw away AK on this flop.

Appreciate the replies.I have been playing AK weak lately, because if I commit less preflop to the pot, then it's been easier for me to get away from. Sort of a "minimize my losses" rather than maximize my profits mentality.I am curious how you generally play vs early position raisers (with or without callers) in late position. Do you reraise and fold to a re-re-raise? or do you just call and check out the flop?Again, thanks for the help... Just frustrating for me that I can't play such a strong hand worth a censored.ffishh

Just to let you know my experience.AKos is my Most profitable hand playing LHE. I don't have my exact stats because I'm at work. I'm well over 50k hands using PT.When I saw that AKos was the most profitable, I was surprised. I think it has to do with how many times I get delt this hand and also, how I play it. Is this true of other LHE players??

ffish, there's a difference between calling an EP raise and the hands that you've posted. There are plenty of times where I'll just call a raise with AKo in a NL cash game (and I'll position). However, what you're doing is limping and then calling a raise...which is not really the same. You're out of position and have shown no strength.Also, from a couple of those posts, it looks like you're still having trouble "getting away" from it when you don't raise pre-flop. One of the reasons...too much confidence in "concealed" strength. Imagine if you played aces this way.

With AK on the K66 flop, I'd go ahead and bet right out. If he's got KQ, he's sure to raise you and put more dead money into the flop. If he's got a pocket pair 77-QQ, you're putting him to a very tough decision, and he might even raise you, thinking that you wouldn't possibly bet out with a 6, and that he could get a better hand to fold. Always feel free to bet into the preflop raiser...it'll make more money in the long run.Cheers,Posoo

ffish, there's a difference between calling an EP raise and the hands that you've posted. There are plenty of times where I'll just call a raise with AKo in a NL cash game (and I'll position). However, what you're doing is limping and then calling a raise...which is not really the same. You're out of position and have shown no strength.Also, from a couple of those posts, it looks like you're still having trouble "getting away" from it when you don't raise pre-flop. One of the reasons...too much confidence in "concealed" strength. Imagine if you played aces this way.
Thanks for the reply, but with my question, I wasnt referring to any of the hands I had posted... I was just curious about how someone that plays AK successfully (not me :club: ) typically plays it in that situation.Several times in a row, I ended up calling a EP raise with AK, catch a king and then lose to pocket aces. I generally dont lose large pots with AK, just lots of small ones.thanks for the advice all.ffishh