Ok I've been arguing a lot with my friends over how much the top cash game players in the world actually make. I think in good years its in the millions and bad years....well we all know it can get bad. Anyway, does anybody know about how much they make on average in a year or ever hear about a particular person and how much they made. This will settle quite the arguement. Thanks.

C'mon, you left out the most interesting part in your thread, we want to know what your agrument was and what his was as well, otherwise we won't know who to make fun of and by how much..

In super system two doyle writes in Todd Brunson's introduction that Todd is an amazing player because of a time when he played a wealthy business man headsup and took him for around 12 million in two days.( I cant remember the exact number and my ss2 copy is in my dorm room. If anyone has a copy and would like to correct me feel free.) I think most high limit professional player makes a score like this during their career's but it is not the norm my guess would be that from a years work of playing poker the top cash game oriented players (Chip Reese, Johnny Chan, Barry Greenstein) Make somewhere around 10 million give or take a couple probably give. The tournament players probbaly make slightly less or slightly more depending on their success for the year. Any ways thats just my guess so flame away.

In super system two doyle writes in Todd Brunson's introduction that Todd is an amazing player because of a time when he played a wealthy business man headsup and took him for around 12 million in two days.( I cant remember the exact number and my ss2 copy is in my dorm room. If anyone has a copy and would like to correct me feel free.) I think most high limit professional player makes a score like this during their career's but it is not the norm my guess would be that from a years work of playing poker the top cash game oriented players (Chip Reese, Johnny Chan, Barry Greenstein) Make somewhere around 10 million give or take a couple probably give. The tournament players probbaly make slightly less or slightly more depending on their success for the year. Any ways thats just my guess so flame away.

In super system two doyle writes in Todd Brunson's introduction that Todd is an amazing player because of a time when he played a wealthy business man headsup and took him for around 12 million in two days.( I cant remember the exact numberdetails are found in that other book...

There is no way on this earth that top tourney players make anywhere near 10 million dollars. Someone cited an argument today and when DN was tearing it up and his earnings were estimated as closer to 6. If you look at the winnings lists on hendonmob.com it is very rare for any tournament player to have more than 2 million dollar scores a year and obviously they lose 20-30 buy ins a year? At 10k a pop that soon adds up.
To say 10 mil/year is not possible is ludacris.
It's possible, but that doesn't mean the top cash game players are earning that much. I would say that 10 million a year is way out of whack for a top pro unless he takes down a huge tournament. Ivey is a workaholic and he is reported killing cash games for 200-300k a month, and that still does not add up to 10 million over the course of a year. It IS possible if you are pimping your own line of pokerwear, chipsets, dvds, and selling your face all over the place, but 10 million from poker alone is severely stretching it.

Agreed. Whilst it is such big business you can saturate yourself in the line of Mr Hellmuth but not many can do that and the OP was talking about poker earnings specifically I think. Tritz, if your saying my assertion that a tourney player cannot take down 10 mill a year is ludacris, then you show me one players results where they have taken 10 million in a year. Any player. Someone would need to win the WSOP ME, a WPT title and cash in like half of his other events. Noone has ever done that and noone is likely to in the near future. Just my 2 cents.

There is no way on this earth that top tourney players make anywhere near 10 million dollars. Someone cited an argument today and when DN was tearing it up and his earnings were estimated as closer to 6. If you look at the winnings lists on hendonmob.com it is very rare for any tournament player to have more than 2 million dollar scores a year and obviously they lose 20-30 buy ins a year? At 10k a pop that soon adds up.
You make a valid point but most tournament players also play cash and i am assuming they would be able to make some money playing that.
In super system two doyle writes in Todd Brunson's introduction that Todd is an amazing player because of a time when he played a wealthy business man headsup and took him for around 12 million in two days.( I cant remember the exact number and my ss2 copy is in my dorm room. If anyone has a copy and would like to correct me feel free.)
Todd wasn't playing with his own money. It was a group of players who pooled money together to play Andy Beal. They chose who would play him and then would split the winnings.
I love the answers. I wonder why ppl feel the need to tear other ppl down when they ask legitamit questions.
Problem is their winnings aren't public information, and besides Daniel (who isn't a cash player anymore) the big pros don't give out any info on their wins and losses (except that everyone seems to be a huge winner).