holy shit, huge nine-way pot, no showdown!

$2/$4 hold 'em, ten-handedi'm MP3 with 10 :D 10 :club: EP1 limps, EP2 limps, EP3 limps, MP1 limps, ..., i raise, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, EP3 calls, MP1 calls, i call, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.(MP2 is the only one that folded, everyone else is in for three small bets.)(27 SB)SB checks, BB checks, EP1 checks, EP2 checks, EP3 checks, MP1 checks, i check, CO bets, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, EP1 folds, EP2 calls, EP3 folds, MP1 calls, i call.(16.5 BB)BB checks, EP2 bets, MP1 calls, i fold, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds.(20.5 BB)EP2 bets, MP1 folds, CO folds, Button folds.EP2 wins 20.5 BB, doesn't show hand.holy shit!!!this was pacific poker, of course. :-) (on a side note, did i misplay any part of this? do some of you cap in this nine-way pot preflop? i also played extremely passively postflop, playing the flop only for set value or to improve to a draw on the turn, then folded to a bet when neither happened. do any of you play differently?)aseem

$2/$4 hold 'em, ten-handedi'm MP3 with 10 :D 10 :club: EP1 limps, EP2 limps, EP3 limps, MP1 limps, ..., i raise, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, EP3 calls, MP1 calls, i call, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.(MP2 is the only one that folded, everyone else is in for three small bets.)(27 SB)SB checks, BB checks, EP1 checks, EP2 checks, EP3 checks, MP1 checks, i check, CO bets, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, EP1 folds, EP2 calls, EP3 folds, MP1 calls, i call.(16.5 BB)BB checks, EP2 bets, MP1 calls, i fold, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds.(20.5 BB)EP2 bets, MP1 folds, CO folds, Button folds.EP2 wins 20.5 BB, doesn't show hand.holy censored!!!this was pacific poker, of course. :-) (on a side note, did i misplay any part of this? do some of you cap in this nine-way pot preflop? i also played extremely passively postflop, playing the flop only for set value or to improve to a draw on the turn, then folded to a bet when neither happened. do any of you play differently?)aseem
i would fold the flop
i would fold the flop
that is absolutely horrendous.no joke.that is gross.you are getting something like more than 30-to-1 for one small bet, closing the action, and you're folding.gross.horrendous.sickening.i am not kidding.yuck.aseem

This is a rather unique hand. In fact, I'm not sure if I've personally seen a pot such as this, and I thought I had seen everything. As for the way you played the hand, I would have played it the same.

play is fine, aseem, though a cap preflop isn't bad when you're really getting good value for a set in a nine-way pot. that brings up something i'm curious about: does anyone have a chart for how often a set wins in a 3, 4, 5, etc. - way showdown against random playable hands and a random board? i know this is a difficult question to answer, considering coordinated boards might mean made straights, etc., but in situations like this, it would be nice to know, esp. since there is no way in hell we're folding a set here until the river, if even then, with such a huge pot. i ask only because of the possible value raise 9-way preflop.

i would fold the flop
that is absolutely horrendous.no joke.that is gross.you are getting something like more than 30-to-1 for one small bet, closing the action, and you're folding.gross.horrendous.sickening.i am not kidding.yuck.aseem
i misread

you are getting something like more than 30-to-1 for one small bet, closing the action, and you're folding. I don't think it's all that bad really.You're drawing to runner runner quads or a straight here, a lot.I mean really, what's a good turn card, a T? How often are you even ahead when you draw it?Good luck.

you are getting something like more than 30-to-1 for one small bet, closing the action, and you're folding. I don't think it's all that bad really.You're drawing to runner runner quads or a straight here, a lot.I mean really, what's a good turn card, a T? How often are you even ahead when you draw it?Good luck.
smash, i think folding when you're closing the action is quite bad.yes, we're drawing to runner straight, and one of our set outs (the 10 :club: ) might be tainted, but you're getting a whopping 33-to-1 or something like that.i mean, we can hit our "bad" set card and still have a very strong redraw to a boat. we can also improve to a broadway gutshot, and while it's just a one-card straight, it's strengthened since we have two of the necessary stopper cards.i mean, this pot is humongous. i think folding here is very wrong and it's not close at all.i mean, 33-to-1 for just 1 SB. so what if we're drawing to runner most of the time? i did know that as i called, and i was looking to improve on the turn in either a set OR with a gutshot draw.admittedly, it would be a MUCH clearer call if the flop was rainbow, or if the 3 :D was an 8 or 9 instead.aseem

i mean, this pot is humongous. i think folding here is very wrong and it's not close at all.Did it get smaller on the turn or the river?I must have missed that :)I don't think you have odds to call this flop. Honestly.If you're going to call, you might as well raise the flop can call it down if you're facsinated by the size of the pot.

i mean, this pot is humongous. i think folding here is very wrong and it's not close at all.Did it get smaller on the turn or the river?I must have missed that :club:
LOL. :lol:point taken.
I don't think you have odds to call this flop. Honestly.If you're going to call, you might as well raise the flop can call it down if you're facsinated by the size of the pot.
now this is what i'm wondering about.do you bet this when checked to? or do you checkraise it since you don't particularly mind a free card?i really am having a very hard time seeing folding being right when you're closing the action, getting more than 30-to-1 for just 1 SB, but i'll leave this be.aseem
i really am having a very hard time seeing folding being right when you're closing the action, getting more than 30-to-1 for just 1 SB, but i'll leave this be. How many outs do you estimate having on this flop?
about 2.even if it's 1.5, we have odds.aseem

about 2.even if it's 1.5, we have odds.aseemI think it's a lot closer to 1. From a metagame standpoint the chances of all the Ks and Qs being in the deck for the backdoor straight draw are infintessimally small.I think the Th is almost always not a clean out, and I think a fair amount of the time you're looking at AA or JJ where a T on the turn leaves you drawing again to 1 out.That said, is it a big deal to call here? No. Is it a mistake to fold? No. I think it's actually quite close.

about 2.even if it's 1.5, we have odds.aseemI think it's a lot closer to 1. From a metagame standpoint the chances of all the Ks and Qs being in the deck for the backdoor straight draw are infintessimally small.I think the Th is almost always not a clean out, and I think a fair amount of the time you're looking at AA or JJ where a T on the turn leaves you drawing again to 1 out.That said, is it a big deal to call here? No. Is it a mistake to fold? No. I think it's actually quite close.
okay, i can live with that.anyway, i'm moving back to boston now. talk to you in eight hours at the earliest! :-) (i'll have to set up my computer first thing, for poker of course. i'm such an addict...)aseem