flush chasing!..and other outs, perhaps...

SB loooose, but only shows down 25%, auto bets any flop, 50 handsBB, not many hands, seems laggyParty Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converterPreflop: Actuary is MP3 with Ac, 2c. 4 folds, SB calls, BB calls.Flop: (6 SB) 7c, 2d, 4c (3 players)SB bets, Actuary calls, SB calls.Turn: (6 BB) 3d (3 players)SB bets, Actuary calls, SB calls.River: (12 BB) Jc (3 players)SB checks, BB bets, SB folds, BB calls.Final Pot: 16 BBplease critique all, especially the turn callI don't want to be results oriented.I'm going thru a great +var swing now, so my skin is thick! :-)Maybe I owe something to you all..and am actually improving...

3 bet the flop, you have the nut flush draw, and a pair. You're equity here is very high since a club, 2, or ace will likely give you the best hand. If you 3 bet the flop, theres a much much better chance that you dont face 2 cold on the turn. It will likely get checked to you or only cost you 1 bet, if you miss and it's checked you can take one off for free, and if you hit, you have already added 2 more small bets to the pot.This hand's all about equity, and you have tons of it. You also have position to take a free card. 3 bet it baby!

Im only a newbie, but my thoughts are slowly getting in order.Ace rag is a shit hand, cause if the A hits, you have no kicker, and if the kicker hits, it is always bottom pair, can be counterfeited, etc.But, A rag suited is good for the nut flush, and probably nothing else. So, if you are only going to win on the flush (6% of the time by the river), then why raise PF, committing two bets (one unnecesarily) and scare off another possible limper or two? Better to dump A rag on the flop if you dont get the flush/backdraw flush draw.

3-bet the flop, no matter what happens its good.anyone folding may clean up your outs, and on your good days will give you the best handif they both call there is a good chance of taking the free card if you don't improve on the turnif it gets capped you have great equity so you can't be upsetthe turn call gets scratchy if the SB 3-bets, but you've picked up more outs so its fine

I played a had almost identical to this one yesterday.I called on the flop after a bet a raise in front of me because I didn't want to lose any customers with my flush draw. I forgot about my bottom pair and that I had about 12.5 clean outs to improve. Your equity on this flop is almost 50%. Raise for value/free card.You should take the free card if you get it.The way the hand played out, the turn call is more than correct. There's no point to raising, and folding is out of the question.

SB loooose, but only shows down 25%, auto bets any flop, 50 handsBB, not many hands, seems laggyParty Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converterPreflop: Actuary is MP3 with Ac, 2c. 4 folds, SB calls, BB calls.Flop: (6 SB) 7c, 2d, 4c (3 players)SB bets, Actuary calls, SB calls.Turn: (6 BB) 3d (3 players)SB bets, Actuary calls, SB calls.River: (12 BB) Jc (3 players)SB checks, BB bets, SB folds, BB calls.Final Pot: 16 BBplease critique all, especially the turn callI don't want to be results oriented.I'm going thru a great +var swing now, so my skin is thick! :-)Maybe I owe something to you all..and am actually improving...
Three bet the flop all day :)You pick up more outs on the turn with a straight draw, but three betting the turn is probably a bit much. River plays itself. NH

I don't mind how you played it. 3-betting the flop is probably the right move for a few reasons:1) Obviously your equity is enormous against everything but a made straight and a set, but that's unlikely. Even so, you're still in great shape2) In position, a flop 3-bet means you can dictate the pace of action on the turn. If SB gaybets again, it's unlikely you'll face 2-cold.3) By 3-betting, you make it correct to peek at your flush draw EVEN WHEN YOUR OTHER OUTS AREN'T GOOD. This is kinda important.4) Your flop 3-bet can really confuse people when you make a flush. Might actually serve to make someone get tricky with you with a worse hand.Ice

Im only a newbie, but my thoughts are slowly getting in order.Ace rag is a censored hand, cause if the A hits, you have no kicker, and if the kicker hits, it is always bottom pair, can be counterfeited, etc.But, A rag suited is good for the nut flush, and probably nothing else. So, if you are only going to win on the flush (6% of the time by the river), then why raise PF, committing two bets (one unnecesarily) and scare off another possible limper or two? Better to dump A rag on the flop if you dont get the flush/backdraw flush draw.
He was raising because he was in good position and was looking to buy the button, or even better steal the blinds. Not because A2s is a great hand.
He was raising because he was in good position and was looking to buy the button, or even better steal the blinds. Not because A2s is a great hand.
yes.Just added this play recently.Only 8500 hands, so adding new plays all the time!
  He was raising because he was in good position and was looking to buy the button, or even better steal the blinds. Not because A2s is a great hand    
makes perfect sense to this newbie now, might just have 2 add it to my play. Kind of toying with the idea of raising everything if you are first into the pot in LP, now understand, I get it, bit like stealing the blinds.
  He was raising because he was in good position and was looking to buy the button, or even better steal the blinds. Not because A2s is a great hand    
makes perfect sense to this newbie now, might just have 2 add it to my play. Kind of toying with the idea of raising everything if you are first into the pot in LP, now understand, I get it, bit like stealing the blinds.
when first into the pot in LP, you are not raising, you are betting...unless you mean after EVERY flop (which would be a mistake) 8)

you're getting 4.5:1 on the turn call, which is a bit better than what you'd need if you only had 9 outs. i think the fact that you probably have more outs than that compensates for the possibility of the turn getting 3-bet.

doctorpaul wrote: Quote: He was raising because he was in good position and was looking to buy the button, or even better steal the blinds. Not because A2s is a great hand makes perfect sense to this newbie now, might just have 2 add it to my play. Kind of toying with the idea of raising everything if you are first into the pot in LP, now understand, I get it, bit like stealing the blinds. when first into the pot in LP, you are not raising, you are betting...unless you mean after EVERY flop (which would be a mistake)
No, I was actually referring to deliberately raising all pots that I am FIRST to enter in very late pos. I think sklansky (or someone else) said that if you are say, on the button or one off, and you have a hand you would normally limp with, that you are better off to raise with it, so that you can steal the blinds, or maybe be heads up with one of the blinds, as opposed to limping, and then fighting with both the BB and SBHave tried this, and it works quite well, particularly with tight blinds.Is this not a good idea? (obviously cant do it all the time, and I would be taking notes on the play of players on my left before trying it a high percentage of the time)
2) In position, a flop 3-bet means you can dictate the pace of action on the turn. If SB gaybets again, it's unlikely you'll face 2-cold.4) Your flop 3-bet can really confuse people when you make a flush. Might actually serve to make someone get tricky with you with a worse hand.Ice
I really like these two points by iceman. I think I would have done what you did but reading his comments has changed my mind. When you three bet you're making your opponents rethink what you might have. They might have put you on a draw but now they might think otherwise.With your aggressive play you either get more value for your hand or perhaps a free card on the turn. I like your call on the turn. Raising might give the BB an opportunity to go over the top and price you out of the hand.
No, I was actually referring to deliberately raising all pots that I am FIRST to enter in very late pos. I think sklansky (or someone else) said that if you are say, on the button or one off, and you have a hand you would normally limp with, that you are better off to raise with it, so that you can steal the blinds, or maybe be heads up with one of the blinds, as opposed to limping, and then fighting with both the BB and SBHave tried this, and it works quite well, particularly with tight blinds.Is this not a good idea? (obviously cant do it all the time, and I would be taking notes on the play of players on my left before trying it a high percentage of the time)
Many pro's advocate coming into a pot for a raise rather than limping (ie. Ferguson, Lee, Sklansky etc). raising does so much more for you than a limp... 8)