ak in big blind, lhe

Hi all... I turn to you for experience/expertise. I play low-limit live games, and I've been running into player after player who won't raise AK or AQ from the big blind in limit -- they argue they're disguising the hand and getting more weak aces or kings to call if they hit. I know Barry Tannenbaum recently wrote in Card Player that it's a mistake to raise it -- all the callers will just call two bets and you're pricing in a bunch of weak draws. Any thoughts? I'd be especially interested in arguments against a raise in that situation.

Hi all... I turn to you for experience/expertise. I play low-limit live games, and I've been running into player after player who won't raise AK or AQ from the big blind in limit -- they argue they're disguising the hand and getting more weak aces or kings to call if they hit. I know Barry Tannenbaum recently wrote in Card Player that it's a mistake to raise it -- all the callers will just call two bets and you're pricing in a bunch of weak draws. Any thoughts? I'd be especially interested in arguments against a raise in that situation.
With AK, you aren't raising to thin the field - you are raising for value. Raise it . . every . . . single. . . time . . .

I think this depends on what kind of table you are at, there are some people that can not lay there hand down preflop and will fold after the flop if they didn't hit. These people you want to raise , and if you are confident people will call raise, you will win more of the hands than they will.

If you raise from the big blind with AK, and miss the flop, no pair or draws..do you still bet out on the flop, and what about the turn if unimproved..this is a problem ive been having.
depends on the number of players in the hand and the texture of the board.if there are only 1-2 villains left and the board/action says that they're likely drawing instead of calling me down with 2nd pair or something, i will usually keep betting, with the intention of check/folding the river if the draw hits or betting to make them fold if the draws miss. if there are 8 callers to my raise and i miss AK in the bb, i will check/fold the flop, usually.

as for the OP's question, yes, raise, virtually all the time, unless you know something like "the only limper only limps kq and kj, and i can get a lot of money off him if the king falls and i don't raise preflop," but knowing something like that is suuuper rare.if there are a lot of limpers, though, raising preflop and doing something like checkraising a k94 rainbow flop is something you might want to do if the table tends not to raise top pair to a flop bet. you'll want to thin the field significantly on the flop, and do whatever you have to do to do that, even if it's not necessarily a standard play.

Depends on the game. You most likely will get called around anyway in low limit games so just checking it is not all that horrible a thing to do.Any play is appropriate...........when appropriate.Best...

anyone who limped preflop will 95% call a raise thus disguising your hand to a weak ace is kinda of dumb. They will call your raise with a weak ace anyway and when the Ace hits they AREN'T folding. So always raise for value

with suited and offsuit.i usually just call a raise with AK, suited or not.is that a bad play? should i re-raise a late raise if no one limped in ahead?my thinking is that i'll just call to try and hit a flop. if i have a read on the late raiser, that he attempts a lot of steals, then i'll re-raise, and if he again raises me i have to call....i think.

Depends on the game. You most likely will get called around anyway in low limit games so just checking it is not all that horrible a thing to do.
Actually checking IS a horrible thing to do. Raise with AK in the BB EVERY FING TIME. "Nutzbuster", you should read or re-read SSHE.

thanks for the feedback so far, most of you seem to support what I've been thinking. Does anyone buy the argument about pricing in poor draws? Say the button calls one bet with 6-7. I raise AK from BB, they call the bet. Six players in. Flop is A-9-10. Have I just made it a correct play for them to call a gutshot straight draw?

If you raise from the big blind with AK, and miss the flop, no pair or draws..do you still bet out on the flop, and what about the turn if unimproved..this is a problem ive been having.
Bet it out for information. Usually, people who have hit something big are too greedy to sit on it. If you're raised, make a decision based on the board and any read on the player you might have. If you think they're trying to make a move, be willing to re-raise. If they call, you're likely up against TP. If they cap, you can fold with confidence that you're more than likely smoked and close to drawing dead.Another advantage of betting out is a greater chance of getting called if you do hit one of your six outs. Very often, people have resolved themselves to calling you down by that point.GL.