getting knock out first in a 100k gur tourney

Screw strategy, the best play with KK or AA first hand is go all in. Someone always assumes you're full of it and calls. ALWAYS. Thats why in the online tournaments someone is ALWAYS up at least 5-8 starting stacks within the first 5 minutes.

it was a 30-3 buy in first hand am dealt kk in the BB. some guy raises the min utg theirs 6 callers i raise 2/3 of my stack when it comes around to me. the guy who raised utg goes all in faster then speedy gonzalez. I know he has aces but hoping his a donkey who is overplaying his qq or ace k so of course i call. he flips over aces and takes it.. knock out 1615 out 1615 .. yea the first one.. i use to make fun people who would get knock out so quick before i even played a round of poker in a multi tourney, but am not laughing at them any longer;( joel
Congrats!!!
Everyone needs to stop frontin. All of you would go broke in that spot, dont try to lie. As for only getting called with Aces, perhaps none of you ever played an online tournament? He'd get called with ANY Ace, and any pair higher than 77. Hell he might even get called with KQ or JQ.
Speak for yourself. The only way I go broke so early in a trny is if I have AA and someone cracks them. And there's no way I would bet 2/3 of my stack, ever, with anything.

Hey OP, don't raise 2/3 of your stack is what people are saying, because you have to call if you get reraised and raising just 1/4 of your stack will get all the bad hands to fold. What you need to do is either raise 1/4 of your stack and fold to an all in raise if you really think he has AA, or just go all-in and hope no-one has AA or catches an A. I've seen people go allin on the first hand with Q3 off, so don't worry about some of the comments here. I play a lot of MTT's online and I can tell you I go all in here, hoping no one has AA, and if they do, I just saved myself a whole lot of time. If the $30+3 is too much money for you, then don't play in the MTT, if it's nothing, jsut part of your roll that will not be affected, then who cares if you are the first one out or the 100th or the bubble, it makes no difference. It is so much easier to play early with a big stack then a short stack, so I say go all in and if you lose, play the next MTT, or go win more money in cash games. Now, if this is live, I would just make a pot sized raise and play from there.Good Luck and don't let KK vs AA ever get you down.

Everyone needs to stop frontin. All of you would go broke in that spot, dont try to lie. As for only getting called with Aces, perhaps none of you ever played an online tournament? He'd get called with ANY Ace, and any pair higher than 77. Hell he might even get called with KQ or JQ.
Speak for yourself. The only way I go broke so early in a trny is if I have AA and someone cracks them. And there's no way I would bet 2/3 of my stack, ever, with anything.
That's just ignorant- I go all in all the time with big pocket pairs in tourneys and get called by pocket 6s on up. In the first stage I will do this with Qs or better- if I run into a bigger pocket pair so be it, and I will race with A-K any day. That's just for the first hour- strategy changes a little bit after that, as far as what I will do once I am a big stack, which generally if I am into the second stage I am. Now, to the OP- that's just the breaks. Could you have dumped this hand? Probably not. The point is that you might as well just push all in, you were going to anyway.
That's just ignorant- I go all in all the time with big pocket pairs in tourneys and get called by pocket 6s on up. In the first stage I will do this with Qs or better- if I run into a bigger pocket pair so be it, and I will race with A-K any day. That's just for the first hour- strategy changes a little bit after that, as far as what I will do once I am a big stack, which generally if I am into the second stage I am. Now, to the OP- that's just the breaks. Could you have dumped this hand? Probably not. The point is that you might as well just push all in, you were going to anyway.
What's just ignorant?
What's just ignorant?
Not using all ins early with big pairs- it's a great way to build a stack against players with 6s or better looking to get lucky. What is your goal in the first stage? Mine is build a stack and get into the top twenty or get the f out. All in is an effective way. It's the monkeys throwing poo scenario but just make sure you have got a nice piece of poo.
What's just ignorant?
Not using all ins early with big pairs- it's a great way to build a stack against players with 6s or better looking to get lucky. What is your goal in the first stage? Mine is build a stack and get into the top twenty or get the f out. All in is an effective way. It's the monkeys throwing poo scenario but just make sure you have got a nice piece of poo.
Mainly its to gather information on my opponents by watching atleast an orbit or 2. I know, I could be moved, but then I just kick back at my new table for an orbit or 2. I don't feel the need to have to double up right away. I'm a very patient player and am completely comfortable playing from any size stack. In fact, I love seeing weaker players accumulate a lot of chips early at my table. It's even better if they got their chips from stronger players.

that's great...lois's strategy...play loose, allin QQ in the first level of a tourney...but fold the nuts later on in the tourney.wow...i guess you don't ever have to worry about folding the nuts late, because you'll never get late.

Hey OP, don't raise 2/3 of your stack is what people are saying, because you have to call if you get reraised and raising just 1/4 of your stack will get all the bad hands to fold. What you need to do is either raise 1/4 of your stack and fold to an all in raise if you really think he has AA, or just go all-in and hope no-one has AA or catches an A. I've seen people go allin on the first hand with Q3 off, so don't worry about some of the comments here. I play a lot of MTT's online and I can tell you I go all in here, hoping no one has AA, and if they do, I just saved myself a whole lot of time. If the $30+3 is too much money for you, then don't play in the MTT, if it's nothing, jsut part of your roll that will not be affected, then who cares if you are the first one out or the 100th or the bubble, it makes no difference. It is so much easier to play early with a big stack then a short stack, so I say go all in and if you lose, play the next MTT, or go win more money in cash games. Now, if this is live, I would just make a pot sized raise and play from there.Good Luck and don't let KK vs AA ever get you down.
Your post made complete sense thanks
that's great...lois's strategy...play loose, allin QQ in the first level of a tourney...but fold the nuts later on in the tourney.wow...i guess you don't ever have to worry about folding the nuts late, because you'll never get late.
Why else do pros, and alot of them I might add, bust out early in tournaments? I have alot of tournament wins and I can tell you this- on average it is imperative you becoma a bigstack in the first stage, at least the big stack at your table. What you do with that stack once you get to that point is another story. As far as folding the nuts- man, that was so case specific and such a close call and I am so f ucking tired of saying again an again and again and again that EITHER play in that situation was fine. So, for once just shut up- all points were proven a long time ago. For the record-most of the time if I bust in a tourney it is in the first stage, and with a hand that I deem reasonable to do so with. I'm either at the final table or i'm out early. If I make the money more often than not I am in the top ten and staying there. I play in cash games to finance tourneys so I never really look at it as a loss, because it isn't- my br is self sustaining, so there will always be another tourney. All told this year I am up about 16,000 in tourney wins. My results speak for themself.
What's just ignorant?
Mainly its to gather information on my opponents by watching atleast an orbit or 2. I know, I could be moved, but then I just kick back at my new table for an orbit or 2. I don't feel the need to have to double up right away. I'm a very patient player and am completely comfortable playing from any size stack. In fact, I love seeing weaker players accumulate a lot of chips early at my table. It's even better if they got their chips from stronger players.
As far as gathering info- what I will do sometimes is watch other tables with players that I know are good or running well and see how they are doing, what they are doing, etc. That way, if and when we tangle later I have an idea of what they are capable of.
What's just ignorant?
As far as gathering info- what I will do sometimes is watch other tables with players that I know are good or running well and see how they are doing, what they are doing, etc. That way, if and when we tangle later I have an idea of what they are capable of.
That's not a bad plan. I tend to focus on identifying the weaker players, as I like to have 2 to 3 targets at my table.

I hope anyone criticizing this play doesn't also believe that the so called "Smash System" is amazing, as Smash advocates going all in here with KK to win the raise and the few limpers, only to get busted by aces.The raising 2/3 of the stack was a silly play, but its basically the same as going all in, which everyone praises the great Smash for suggesting.Just thought I'd point that out.[/code]

I hope anyone criticizing this play doesn't also believe that the so called "Smash System" is amazing, as Smash advocates going all in here with KK to win the raise and the few limpers, only to get busted by aces.The raising 2/3 of the stack was a silly play, but its basically the same as going all in, which everyone praises the great Smash for suggesting.Just thought I'd point that out.
I'm not on the Smash is G-d bandwagon, although I think by his posts he is a good player, but, before you get totally Smashed, excuse the pun, let me just say that Smash was refering to cash games. If you loose you buy in here in a cash game, who cares, just rebuy and you'll get it back next time. Smash's theory was NOT for tournament play.
Now, to the OP- that's just the breaks. Could you have dumped this hand? Probably not. The point is that you might as well just push all in, you were going to anyway.
Yes, you probably go broke when you have KK and someone else has AA.You shouldn't fear AA when you hold KK, but you should make pre-flop bets that encourage bad players to call with marginal hands so you can make the most from your pre-flop edge. Don't bet 2/3 of your stack and hope for occasional donk calls from Q3 or 44. Make a reasonable bet and learn to play well post-flop. When you overbet the pot you stand to lose a big one or win a small one. Of course that's not always true, but it is often enough.That said, with an UTG min raise and six callers, winning this pot outright may not be the worst thing that can happen, so ...Shit happens?

Playing in a 10+1 tourney.Specifics not included, i'm out watching the hand.Guy raises preflop, he gets reraised so he calls, 2 to the flop. Flop, All low cards maybe 2 clubs.Original raiser bets out, gets reraised all in. Here is what the original raiser typed."I know you have aces, it's so obvious, I can see it in your eyes(yes we're online). It's so obvious you have aces" and he calls and turns up queens and the other guy turns up 7s.His Queens held up but I went on to ask him "If you knew he had aces, why did you call? You weren't pot commited, if you KNEW he had aces like you said, your call makes no sense." and he just says "eh."

If we can hi-jack this and turn it into a All in PF vs Not...debate.Because 2/3 is for all intents and purposes accomplishing the same thing.Let me make a hand up.For all those not going in PF..please help me see what you would do in this scenario. Don't assume any of it is right..and just tell me how you play these streets. And NO READS, it's the first hand1st hand of Tourney.Blinds t50,t100All have t10,000 You NL Pro have K :D K :) in MP.2 EP limpers. You raise to t600 { (4+2limpers x BB) }. folded to Button who Raises to t2,400, Blinds fold, Limpers fold, lets say you call. Or tell me what you should do, Re-Raise?Flop: 2 :D , 6 :D , J :club: Pot = t5150Now what?You Bet 2500 into a safe no-Ace flop, Button Raises you all in?You are getting 3:1. What do you do? Or if you play the flop differently let me know.Please, just someone who does not like going all in pf with KK here tell me how to play "cautiously". Without turning into the guy who can be moved off any hand if shown aggression.You can even assume you have the button and a EP raised to t400, you r/r to t1600 and they called. Then they went all in on the flop. Or they raise you to 4000 pf..whatever...just make something up.I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I really don't know how to "proceed cautiously" when no draws are evidentthanks.

If we can hi-jack this and turn it into a  All in PF vs Not...debate.Because 2/3 is for all intents and purposes accomplishing the same thing.Let me make a hand up.For all those not going in PF..please help me see what you would do in this scenario.  Don't assume any of it is right..and just tell me how you play these streets.  And NO READS, it's the first hand1st hand of Tourney.Blinds t50,t100All have t10,000  You NL Pro have  K :D  K :)  in MP.2 EP limpers.  You raise to t600  { (4+2limpers x BB) }.   folded to Button who Raises to t2,400, Blinds fold, Limpers fold, lets say you call.  Or tell me what you should do, Re-Raise?Flop: 2 :D , 6 :D , J :club:  Pot = t5150Now what?You Bet 2500 into a safe no-Ace flop, Button Raises you all in?You are getting 3:1.  What do you do?  Or if you play the flop differently let me know.Please, just someone who does not like going all in pf with KK here tell me how to play "cautiously".  Without turning into the guy who can be moved off any hand if shown aggression.You can even assume you have the button and a EP raised to t400, you r/r to t1600 and they called.  Then they went all in on the flop.  Or they raise you to 4000 pf..whatever...just make something up.I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I really don't know how to "proceed cautiously"  when no draws are evidentthanks.
Call the pf raise, move all in on flop.