smash system, q's and comments for people using it.

I've logged about 4K hands using this system so far. I have deviated from the EXACT formula a few times. But I've been trying lately to play the Smash System by the exact guidlelines. As of right now I'm down about 30 bucks or so. I've been playing on Party Poker at .25/.50 tables. My point of this post is to ask what kind of raises are people calling with their pocket pairs. I have usually been calling raises up to $2 total with any pair. I will also call mini raises with AX suited but will fold to a 3X BB raise or more. So what is everyone else doing? I know implied odds play a huge part in the system because the times you do get action when you flop a set, it will usually be to an overpair. Just my thoughts so far, I plan on at least playing 10K hands with the system and see how I have fared. Also, what sites are people playing on? I thought Party would be the loosest but I've been a little surprised so far on how few times I've gotten called. What about Bodog? anyone tried that?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've logged about 4K hands using this system so far. I have deviated from the EXACT formula a few times. But I've been trying lately to play the Smash System by the exact guidlelines. As of right now I'm down about 30 bucks or so. I've been playing on Party Poker at .25/.50 tables. My point of this post is to ask what kind of raises are people calling with their pocket pairs. I have usually been calling raises up to $2 total with any pair. I will also call mini raises with AX suited but will fold to a 3X BB raise or more. So what is everyone else doing? I know implied odds play a huge part in the system because the times you do get action when you flop a set, it will usually be to an overpair. Just my thoughts so far, I plan on at least playing 10K hands with the system and see how I have fared. Also, what sites are people playing on? I thought Party would be the loosest but I've been a little surprised so far on how few times I've gotten called. What about Bodog? anyone tried that?
Playing ax suited for a raise is going to kill your bankroll over a long period of time, cuz when you don't hit the flush, which you won't the majority of the time, you are going to run into big time kicker problems, and unless you are great at post flop play you are going to lose a pile of money to better aces.Pocket pairs are a matter of personal preference. The reason my % of flops has gone down from the 15-19% range to the 11-14% is because I never limp in the first two positions with small pocket pairs unless there is a ton of limping on a NL table. Limping in then being forced to call a 4X BB raise from the first 2 positions with a weak pocket pair and then having to play the hand out of position can be taxing on the bank roll. However, the rewards for hitting sets are great...it depends on your personal preference, your style, what the table is like, etc.You should be raising 4X BB with any hand you raise with...otherwise its pretty easy to put you on a hand. If you like to raise with connectors, raise it 4X...then when you get aces and raise it 4X no one can put you on a hand. I personally raise 4X with ak, aa, kk, qq, sometimes aq depending on the circumstances, and a variety of other hands if its been folded to me around back, but again, thats all feel. I will often limp with JJ from early position...its a tricky hand and against a lot of action one you are going to be giving up often.You'll find your own system of play over a long period of time, and it will continue to change itself as you grow as a player. It took me a full year of play online and 100's of thousands of hands to get to the point where I feel like I am better than anyone who sits down at the .50-1 tables on stars...are there better players than me...sure...there's always going to be someone better than you, but I'll play against anyone at anytime and not feel like I'm giving anything away.
Playing ax suited for a raise is going to kill your bankroll over a long period of time, cuz when you don't hit the flush, which you won't the majority of the time,  you are going to run into big time kicker problems, and unless you are great at post flop play you are going to lose a pile of money to better aces.
You misunderstood the post. I'm talking about using the Smasharoo system of playing No Limit Small Stakes Hold'em.

I tend to think in terms of Odds of hitting a set on the flop multiplied by BB's that have been bet (i.e. one time in6 x 4bb means that if I think I will get paid off 24 big blinds then I will make that call) I will not called a short stack in that spot, only someone who I think is going to double me through or close. In terms of the suited aces, do not call a raise. Odds of a flush are 1 in 20ish and the odds of flopping it a whole lot lower. I also think there are much better ways of poker rather than this but hope it works out for you. Good luck.

I tend to think in terms of Odds of hitting a set on the flop multiplied by BB's that have been bet (i.e. one time in6 x 4bb means that if I think I will get paid off 24 big blinds then I will make that call)  I will not called a short stack in that spot, only someone who I think is going to double me through or close.  In terms of the suited aces, do not call a raise. Odds of a flush are 1 in 20ish and the odds of flopping it a whole lot lower.  I also think there are much better ways of poker rather than this but hope it works out for you.  Good luck.
odds of flopping a set are 7.5-1 against. you need better than 6:1 to call based on your calculations, which by the way are missing a whole lot of considerations. You are also still missing the point of smash's system. of course there are better ways to play. there are also many worse ones. more people use worse ones than better ones.
I tend to think in terms of Odds of hitting a set on the flop multiplied by BB's that have been bet (i.e. one time in6 x 4bb means that if I think I will get paid off 24 big blinds then I will make that call)  I will not called a short stack in that spot, only someone who I think is going to double me through or close.  In terms of the suited aces, do not call a raise. Odds of a flush are 1 in 20ish and the odds of flopping it a whole lot lower.  I also think there are much better ways of poker rather than this but hope it works out for you.  Good luck.
odds of flopping a set are 7.5-1 against. you need better than 6:1 to call based on your calculations, which by the way are missing a whole lot of considerations. You are also still missing the point of smash's system. of course there are better ways to play. there are also many worse ones. more people use worse ones than better ones.
I had a feeling my math was slightly out. Thank you for the amendment. I am not missing any points, I aint never tried the system I aint ever going to. Was just trying to give the guy some context.
I had a feeling my math was slightly out. Thank you for the amendment. I am not missing any points, I aint never tried the system I aint ever going to. Was just trying to give the guy some context.
[insert flame here]. im lazy. so what.

You'll find your own system of play over a long period of time, and it will continue to change itself as you grow as a player. It took me a full year of play online and 100's of thousands of hands to get to the point where I feel like I am better than anyone who sits down at the .50-1 tables on starsFunny, I can teach people that in 5 mintues.Ahahaha.God, I love NL players.

You'll find your own system of play over a long period of time, and it will continue to change itself as you grow as a player. It took me a full year of play online and 100's of thousands of hands to get to the point where I feel like I am better than anyone who sits down at the .50-1 tables on starsFunny, I can teach people that in 5 mintues.Ahahaha.God, I love NL players.
good thing this isnt the 'comprehension in context forum'. we'd be the butt of all the other english language skill forums' jokes.

Personally I've dropped the Ax altogether unless I'm in the SB, I don't think it's profitable long term. I used to play Ax and Kx in late position in limit if there was a lot of limpers.One day I'm going to sit down and work out the maths of Ax. One day.

Your system will make much less than I make.I love people who play your system, cuz it makes me money.Cheers.

Also, for the record, I play limit both online and live and do just fine at it...I'm not one to claim that one is more difficult that the other...they are different games, and both require different skills...I'll play against anyone at either game at any time.

Funny, I can teach people that in 5 mintues.Ahahaha.God, I love NL players.
No, learning to master NL takes quite a while. You should know that of all people.I really respect you as a player Smash but these 'NL players suck' generalization you have going is rubbing me and im sure a lot of other ppl the wrong way.

Your system will make much less than I make.Highly unlikely.don't bother to test the theory, though. (and we all know you won't)I hate to see people's egos destroyed.Good luck.I love people who play your system, cuz it makes me money. Nope, you're helpless to do anything against them that ever makes you money.Do you see why? You didn't really think about that at all before you posted it, huh? Just sort of seemed like a good idea at the time?Hahaha.Man, NL players crack me up. I really respect you as a player Smash but these 'NL players suck' generalization you have going is rubbing me and im sure a lot of other ppl the wrong way.*Most* NL players suck.*Most* limit players suck.Here's the thing, though. Most *winning* limit players have a fairly good grasp of the game. Most *winning* NL players have absolutely no idea what they're doing.Playing NL at a high level is just as hard as playing Limit at a high level. NL games are so soft right now, though, that being a winning NL player is completely and utterly meaningless.Good luck.

Meaningless?If you're a winning NL player, then you're making money. That's the entire point of poker.
meaningless in regards to whether you know what you are doing.The assertion is that so many NL players suck..that you can be clueless and still make $$$.I don't really have an opinin on it. Just interpreting.

Nobody seems to get the fact that his whole idea is really a joke and introduced to get the masses to follow, and it worked. It almost screwed with my game- almost. No Limit is nowhere near as mechanical as he would have you believe.

Nobody seems to get the fact that his whole idea is really a joke and introduced to get the masses to follow, and it worked. It almost screwed with my game- almost. No Limit is nowhere near as mechanical as he would have you believe.
I'm pretty confident in my NL game in general, just trying it out for a few k so I can comment with experience rather than ignorance.
I'm pretty confident in my NL game in general, just trying it out for a few k so I can comment with experience rather than ignorance.
He wants to turn NL players into robots because he believes that's all we are, or more specifically monkeys throwing poo. Don't you recognize a s hitty infomercial when you see one? Mark- you're a smart player. Realize that this reduces you to a wittless readless monkey throwing poo.
Meaningless?If you're a winning NL player, then you're making money. That's the entire point of poker.
meaningless in regards to whether you know what you are doing.The assertion is that so many NL players suck..that you can be clueless and still make $$$.I don't really have an opinin on it. Just interpreting.
And if you adopt his system you prove his point- any fool could do this.
And if you adopt his system you prove his point- any fool could do this.
i don't play NL cash games enuf to matter.Smash is not saying this system is the best.Just that it makes more $$ than 99% of those posting. And its easy.I'm in the 99%.edit: u seem to imply I'm a fool..why?
He wants to turn NL players into robots because he believes that's all we are, or more specifically monkeys throwing poo. Don't you recognize a s hitty infomercial when you see one? Mark- you're a smart player. Realize that this reduces you to a wittless readless monkey throwing poo.
Not planning on using it again, but I don't feel right commenting on something unless I've tried it.