profitability of multi table tourneys

I'm sorry if this question has already been addressed, but I was curious if there is a general standard as to how often a good player will make the money in mtt's. I have found that i really enjoy playing in mtt's w/ slow blind structures. They fit my schedule well and i enjoy playing in them and am thinking about playing more of them than anything (online at least). My question is, for people who like to play in these, about how often should you make the money in order for it to be profitable in the long run. I realize that cash games are more profitable than tourneys but mtt's are more fun for me. Poker is not my job but a main hobby. I am generally making the money in them every one in four or five that I play, and I probably make a big score (final table in a tourney w/ 600 or more entrants) one in every 25-50 tourneys. This quandry may not even have an answer. I'm sorry if its too ambiguous, but I would really like to hear some thoughts.Thanks,Chico

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty impossible to come up with some sort of expected return. The results are far more volatile that even nl cash games. You could use the average outcome from your past results, but it'd still be a pretty unreliable estimator.

No one really knows, because tournaments are for suckers. The luckiest sucker wins.Good luck.
Right smash, that's why you see the same 'suckers' at final tables of NLHE tourneys over and over again. Like DN for example.
No one really knows, because tournaments are for suckers. The luckiest sucker wins.Good luck.
Right smash, that's why you see the same 'suckers' at final tables of NLHE tourneys over and over again. Like DN for example.
Yeah like wsop 2005, many final tables.
Since you brought it up, which site has the fishiest SnG's?Chris Richey
Party
Party's certainly are fish-farms, but the structure of their 30STTs and lower is a little more of a crapshoot than I like.I like Paradise more because of the higher chipcount and the slightly slower structure. And, yes there's tons of fish. Of course, YMMV
IMHO Absolute Poker has some great SnG's, but they only have 1 table . PP's may be fishier, but their structure is ridiculous.PS has a huge variety of SnGs, from 1 table, 2 table, turbos, 6 handed, etc.
IMHO Absolute Poker has some great SnG's, but they only have 1 table . PP's may be fishier, but their structure is ridiculous.PS has a huge variety of SnGs, from 1 table, 2 table, turbos, 6 handed, etc.
Yep, very good structure, would be nice if they would at least have 2 table SnG's as well.
you just have to adapt to a different type of strategy in the later stages of a party sng.
I just opened an account on Party, after having one at UB, so what changes will I have to make later in the sng?Chris Richey
after level 3(30 hands) you're going to have to develop a push/fold strategy, 2+2 single table tournament forum is where these types of questions should be asked.
That they are pretty much a all in fest first few hands.  800 is a stupid starting chip count.
start pushing in more marginal situations, I've played over 1000 sng's on party and have a 25% ROI. Plus they don't take as much time as others that have a better structure so you get in more games while 4/8/12 tabling them.
you just have to adapt to a different type of strategy in the later stages of a party sng.
I just opened an account on Party, after having one at UB, so what changes will I have to make later in the sng?Chris Richey
after level 3(30 hands) you're going to have to develop a push/fold strategy, 2+2 single table tournament forum is where these types of questions should be asked.
i diasgree with the push/fold strategy until level 5 (depending on your stack) i usually play party sitngoes, and i am doing decent there
i diasgree with the push/fold strategy until level 5 (depending on your stack) i usually play party sitngoes, and i am doing decent there
of course it depends on your stack, how many players are left, and the texture of the table but after level 3 blinds are 50/100 so if you have been card dead you'll be at ~650(if the buyins is less than $50) so if you have a decent hand you'd rather push than just call just to pick up the blinds in marginal situations.