more discipline with experience

Admittadly I have not been playing hold'em for a long time, but last night I find myself in a situation where, if it happened 2 months ago, I would have lost my whole stack.I was playing a low limit online game (.50/1) and found myself down about 30BB's after about an hour. I mean, I was catching a run of really bad cards, bad flops. I was buying small pots here and there, but generally things weren't going well. In the past I think I would have started getting ancy, started overcooking some bets to try to get 'un-stuck'. But last night I stuck to my gameplan. I played it the same as if I just sat down. I kept waiting for my spots and figured it would pay off. Sure enough I got back to even and ended up making a couple bucks along the way. I'm sure none of you care about this, but I'm bored, just started work, and love talking poker.

Current BR - $4188posted by dna4ever on Thursday, August 11, 2005Current BR - $3770posted by dna4ever on Monday, August 22, 2005Current BR $2310posted by dna4ever on Tuesday, August 23, 2005187 bb downswing, 146bb in 24 hours = want to slit wrist

Current BR - $4188posted by dna4ever on Thursday, August 11, 2005Current BR - $3770posted by dna4ever on Monday, August 22, 2005Current BR $2310posted by dna4ever on Tuesday, August 23, 2005187 bb downswing, 146bb in 24 hours = want to slit wrist
Thats a substantial downswing dna - hope the upside of variance comes to rest in your lap soon.When this happens, do you adjust the limits you play at with respect to bankroll management practices?Dev
When this happens, do you adjust the limits you play at with respect to bankroll management practices?Dev
never had anything this extreme happen before. First thing I am doing is taking a few days break except for the negreanu open tomorrow night. I may play some low limit stuff as i have 600 more hands out of the 1000 for the $100 empire bonus.But yea since my BR is $2300 now I can no longer play $5/$10 and will hit up the $3/$6 tables when I start playing again.
When this happens, do you adjust the limits you play at with respect to bankroll management practices?Dev
never had anything this extreme happen before. First thing I am doing is taking a few days break except for the negreanu open tomorrow night. I may play some low limit stuff as i have 600 more hands out of the 1000 for the $100 empire bonus.But yea since my BR is $2300 now I can no longer play $5/$10 and will hit up the $3/$6 tables when I start playing again.
I gotta say dna I respect your discipline. Take a break, move down a level and work it back up. Keep up this mindset and you will be back to where you were in no time.So, I'll apologize in advance for kicking your azz in the Negreanu open Wed night. ;)GL with the rebuild.Dev
Wow, Dna, and I was mad about dropping 30BB in 30 minutes last night. I hope things turn around for you soon.
That 6max or full ring DNA?
mainly 6 max is where I sucked some ass. guess i was an idiot playing a game at that level with little experience other then book concepts from sklansky and ss2. lost $350 at $5/$10 full ringlost $1060 at $5/$10 6 max (can someone say leak?)lost $270 at $200 PL ($252 in 1 hand 88 vs 69 on 378 rainbow flop which I saw you already responded to in strategy)lost $320 at $200 NL ($236 in 1 hand, AA vs QQ)as bad as it sucks its all justified. nothing you can do about bad beats so theres $500 of it. I am sure I can beat the party $5/$10 full ring game I just ran into some hands and small variance in the past 10 days. That leaves the 6 max game as $1000 (50%) that I 'threw away' and will have to chalk up as a learning experience; simply not repeat.
Not that I want to lift your spirits more, but that's really not that bad for 6-max.:club:
i read about your $4000 $10/$20 6 max downswing and puked a little. My best game is full ring limit. I just got caught up in the lure of quick money and lots of action. You have to admit after playing thousands of hours of full ring when you step into a 6 max game its like a breath of fresh air. Guess it was more like a breath of carbon monoxide for me.

I just got caught up in the lure of quick money and lots of action. You have to admit after playing thousands of hours of full ring when you step into a 6 max game its like a breath of fresh air.Yeah, I tried plaaying 3 6max and one full or 4/4 or 8/4 but I can't manage it. The midset's too diffrent. I play full ring like a lunatic if I'm playing 6-max at the same time.

I also can get a streak of "Gus Hansen" going that will ruin a perfectly good nite and I am working hard at reworking my game to play agressive, but smarter. I will be way up in a tourney or live tablestakes and when I should be reining it in a hair, I'll go all out Gus Hansen.I've washed out of 2 big tourneys that I had control cause I took too many longshot gambles. I believe I've turned the tide and got it back in control and that's exactly what it is, it's mind control...

I also can get a streak of "Gus Hansen" going that will ruin a perfectly good nite and I am working hard at reworking my game to play agressive, but smarter.  I will be way up in a tourney or live tablestakes and when I should be reining it in a hair, I'll go all out Gus Hansen.I've washed out of 2 big tourneys that I had control cause I took too many longshot gambles.  I believe I've turned the tide and got it back in control and that's exactly what it is, it's mind control...
random post of the day award?
obviously clicked the wrong thread.  or drunk as a skunk.
Please don't say 'drunk as a skunk' when dna is around - it brings back bad memories . .or generally hazy memories . . . or just a blackout period

devilkin, please go find the "av" thread and tell everyone just how amazing trailor park boys is...these americans are driving me nuts, they keep talking about seinfeld and shit but they don't know what they are missing!

devilkin, please go find the "av" thread and tell everyone just how amazing trailor park boys is...these americans are driving me nuts, they keep talking about seinfeld and shit but they don't know what they are missing!
Canucks unite! TPB!! TPB!!

devilkin, please go find the "av" thread and tell everyone just how amazing trailor park boys is...these americans are driving me nuts, they keep talking about seinfeld and shit but they don't know what they are missing!They run it on BBC America here.Not that funny.Good luck.

devilkin, please go find the "av" thread and tell everyone just how amazing trailor park boys is...these americans are driving me nuts, they keep talking about seinfeld and censored but they don't know what they are missing!They run it on BBC America here.Not that funny.Good luck.
Grow a sense of humour.Good luck.
well everyones synapses will be firing tonight after 90 minutes of Tommy Lee Goes To College plays on NBC.  What a fricking funny show!
Watching this show is -EV . . .
I also can get a streak of "Gus Hansen" going that will ruin a perfectly good nite and I am working hard at reworking my game to play agressive, but smarter.  I will be way up in a tourney or live tablestakes and when I should be reining it in a hair, I'll go all out Gus Hansen.I've washed out of 2 big tourneys that I had control cause I took too many longshot gambles.  I believe I've turned the tide and got it back in control and that's exactly what it is, it's mind control...
random post of the day award?
oops, wrong thread and bad day so far. Think I'll stay away from the tables today. My sense of direction is a bit off...Sorry