summerslam anyone?

How could you possibly forget the original 4 horsemen. That's when wrasslin' got real good. Yes wrestling is fake... except for the blood - that's real. But movies are fake, too. No? Yet, we'll spend the money to be entertained. That's what it's all about. Entertainment.-CaptDrewedit: I really should read the whole damn thread before responding next time. Didn't realize it was on page 3. Sorry. Oh yeah, the WWE is stale, boring, and horrible. McMahon couldn't book a dinner reservation.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this was discussed in this thread yet, but Eddie Guerrero and Ray Mysterio had to have one of the most classic matches ever last night. They stole the show for me. When Ray did the back body drop off the ladder, onto the other ladder and they both fell, what a move. What a GREAT match.Oh, and the Batista bomb on the steps couldn't have been more satisfying. On the whole, good PPV. Glad the Benoit match only lasted 25 seconds too.

I thought Summerslam was a bit of a let down. It just felt like longer Raw or Smackdown. I want my ppvs to be memorable, and this one just doesn't hold up. The UFC ppv however is another story. That thing kicked some major ass. Nothing is better than seeing Frank Trigg get worked over like he did Saturday night. Also, round one of the Couture fight was some of the most well matched wrestling I've ever seen. Anyone know if Tra what's his face with the weird chest is ok? He took quite a kick to the head. I don't think he'll be remembering the last week. Lastly, I don't know if it was just me, but I really thought Horn was set to make a comeback in round 4. Getting up from two big punches from Chuck is quite a feat, I really thought he was gonna shock us in rounds 4 and 5.

I'd put the flair/steamboat feud on over the steamboat/savage match any day of the weak. a career retro on kevin sullivan would be sweet, why he's not used as a booker nowadays is far beyond me
The lead up to the WrestleMania III match was awesome. Macho Man doing his flying elbow to The Dragon's throat with the ring bell was badass. The said his voicebox was destroyed or something like that.
when is CM Punk supposed to really start wrestling, or is he just doing heat matches now
I wouldn't expect him to be in SD or Raw matches for quite a while. I haven't heard anything about him moving up as of yet.

I love this thread..I just wanted to quickly bring up the old ECW and New Jack. Nothing like a guy coming out and having the same match every single time he comes out and his theme song playing through the entire match. Did that guy have a scheduled match or were they just impromptu muggings that always included a leap off the balcony through a table?

I felt the urge to put my .02 in. I used to love wrestling when I was a senior in H.S. 1990. I went to all the matches and watched on t.v. I used to get front row tickets and all. My funniest live memory comes when Greg "The Hammer" Valenitine walked by me and I towered over him. Now, I am 6'3" and was about 295 then. (I played left tackle and center in H.S. and college) I was bigger than most of these guys. It kind or ruined the illusion for me. Not much though. I love Jake the Snake and Ted Debiase and Virgil, Mr. Perfect (dead now) and all of em.Then I started watching again in 1998. I found it so funny. The Rock, Stone Cold, Bad a.ss Billy Gunn Cactus Jack and his alter ego (can't remember the name) etc.Me and the ex misses liked it so much, we had the wedding party announced to selected entrance music. Each couple came out to a different wrestler theme music. I think we came out to Stone Cold's music. My buddy and a bridesmaid came out the Rock's. He did the eyebrow and all. It was very amusing at the time. I since tried to block out all memories relating to that whole experience.Anyone know where I can find the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind lab? JK

I feel like i should chime in...i know entirely too much about wrestling, the big 3, indy promotions, japan, mexico, just too much. My name here is a wrestling reference. If you really enjoy wrestling and not just big muscular guys that the wwe think "have the look" you should check out Ring of Honor. TNA has also been stepping it up lately, most often doing it by bringing in Ring of Honor's talent. Somoa Joe is by far the most entertaining wrestler out there today. AJ Styles is great, Christopher Daniels is awesome. Give TNA a chance when it comes to Spike TV...I dont think youll be disappointed, and if you have a chance to check out Ring of Honor do that as well. Also UFC is some of the most entertaining stuff out there right now, you can really get into if you start learning about the fighting styles, and submissions etc. Pride is great too but harder to get into with their decreased presence in the states. Wow...I am a nerd...I dont even watch wrestling much anymore but I still know all this stuff...and I play World of Warcraft too...can someone get me a date? Royal do you mind if I borrow Ron?

I feel like i should chime in...i know entirely too much about wrestling, the big 3, indy promotions, japan, mexico, just too much. My name here is a wrestling reference. If you really enjoy wrestling and not just big muscular guys that the wwe think "have the look" you should check out Ring of Honor. TNA has also been stepping it up lately, most often doing it by bringing in Ring of Honor's talent. Somoa Joe is by far the most entertaining wrestler out there today. AJ Styles is great, Christopher Daniels is awesome. Give TNA a chance when it comes to Spike TV...I dont think youll be disappointed, and if you have a chance to check out Ring of Honor do that as well. Also UFC is some of the most entertaining stuff out there right now, you can really get into if you start learning about the fighting styles, and submissions etc. Pride is great too but harder to get into with their decreased presence in the states. Wow...I am a nerd...I dont even watch wrestling much anymore but I still know all this stuff...and I play World of Warcraft too...can someone get me a date? Royal do you mind if I borrow Ron?
When does TNA come to Spike?Ultimate Fighter 2 comes on Spike tonight for the first episode. Last years was good and the fight between Forrest and Stephan was probably one of the best fights UFC has ever seen. This year they have heavyweights on it too. Should be a good show.
I was always kind of the fence, but this seals it....Ron Mexico had a mullet! :shock:
In the years 1989-1991, yes, I did have a mullet. What gave it away? The hair metal thread or the wrestling post?I have been in a mullett recovery program for 14 years and I have been clean and mullettless every day for those 14 years. I am a friend of Mike.
I was always kind of the fence, but this seals it....Ron Mexico had a mullet! :shock:
In the years 1989-1991, yes, I did have a mullet. What gave it away? The hair metal thread or the wrestling post?I have been in a mullett recovery program for 14 years and I have been clean and mullettless every day for those 14 years. I am a friend of Mike.
6'3 295.I'll own you
When does TNA come to Spike?Ultimate Fighter 2 comes on Spike tonight for the first episode. Last years was good and the fight between Forrest and Stephan was probably one of the best fights UFC has ever seen. This year they have heavyweights on it too. Should be a good show.
Coming sometime in the fall, not too sure when. They have a bad Saturday night time slot though. Maybe they will have reruns at better times.
6'3 295.I'll own you
That was in my playing days. I'm a little less now. Not nearly as much less as I'd like. But less.And you do own me. Sexually at least.
6'3 295.I'll own you
That was in my playing days. I'm a little less now. Not nearly as much less as I'd like. But less.And you do own me. Sexually at least.
like the cheese on a egg mcmuffin when it get hot and melts down the sides.
Call me crazy, but the best wrestling IMO was done in the 80's and then into the early 90's
You aren't crazy. The days when a match between two pure wrestlers like Flair/Steamboat getting a standing ovation after a 45 minute classic (WrestleWar 89, I think) are the best days wrestling has seen.
How could you possibly forget the original 4 horsemen. That's when wrasslin' got real good.
FlairArn AndersonOle AndersonTully BlanchardClassic stuff there. The second best incarnation ever, with the team of Flair, Benoit, Malenko, and Arn taking the cake. As fantastic as the original group was, the pure talent from Benoit and Malenko made this version the best, hands down.

Check out ESPN.com and look for the Bill Simmons Summerslam running diary. Good stuff. It's on the first page under today's voices or something. Easy to find.

Call me crazy, but the best wrestling IMO was done in the 80's and then into the early 90's
You aren't crazy. The days when a match between two pure wrestlers like Flair/Steamboat getting a standing ovation after a 45 minute classic (WrestleWar 89, I think) are the best days wrestling has seen.
Allright, I give you that those two had some great matches, but what about Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, Undertaker and Mick Foley. The 60 minute matches with Michaels were some of the greatest and the Foley Undertaker match was probably the best I have ever seen. I mean seriously. Foley off the top of the Cell, then through the cell into the mat, then choke slammed on thumbtacks.Foley was part of some of the greatest matches in history.Oh, if you're talking older times, you have to talk about Sting and Flair. They had one of the best rivalries of all time.
and the Foley Undertaker match was probably the best I have ever seen. I mean seriously. Foley off the top of the Cell, then through the cell into the mat, then choke slammed on thumbtacks.
NoJustNO!That match is so overrated. Yeah, there were a few big bumps, but that match has nothing on the all-time greats. I know it's been said before, but Michaels vs Hart (Iron man match) and Michaels vs Undertaker (Hell in a Cell) are two of the best matches put on by the WWF/E. There are others too, but I can't remember them right now.
and the Foley Undertaker match was probably the best I have ever seen. I mean seriously. Foley off the top of the Cell, then through the cell into the mat, then choke slammed on thumbtacks.
NoJustNO!That match is so overrated. Yeah, there were a few big bumps, but that match has nothing on the all-time greats. I know it's been said before, but Michaels vs Hart (Iron man match) and Michaels vs Undertaker (Hell in a Cell) are two of the best matches put on by the WWF/E. There are others too, but I can't remember them right now.
if we are talking about the monthly PPV era of WWF(when the IYH's started) well, you have Shawn vs Jarrett from IYH2, the calgary stampede ME 10 man tag, the final 4 match, Bret/Austin from SS96, Shawn/Austin from KotR 97, Shawn/Davey Boy SMith from one night only, Shamrock/Vader from Cold Day in Hell, Bret/Austin double turn from WM13, Shawn/Diesel from April96, notice a theme going on here :club: , and of course there was the awesome match between owen and DBS from RAW for the Euro title when it was first created
if we are talking about the monthly PPV era of WWF(when the IYH's started) well, you have Shawn vs Jarrett from IYH2, the calgary stampede ME 10 man tag, the final 4 match, Bret/Austin from SS96, Shawn/Austin from KotR 97, Shawn/Davey Boy SMith from one night only, Shamrock/Vader from Cold Day in Hell, Bret/Austin double turn from WM13, Shawn/Diesel from April96, notice a theme going on here :club: , and of course there was the awesome match between owen and DBS from RAW for the Euro title when it was first created
Lol, yeah, Shawn put on a ton of great matches.One I just remembered...HBK vs Undertaker in the Casket match. The one where Michaels was standing over UT in the casket and UT grabbed his nuts.