shorthanded/heads up nl strategy

i see smashs nl strategy has caused plenty of interest, i was wondering views on strategy for shorthanded NL- say 4 or 5 players down- smash's strategy wouldnt work here as you'd fold too many winners if you dont flop a set and palying a hand like AKo/s couldnt be right either- so smash and others whats the go- i still try to get in cheap preflop and bet hard (usually substantially over betting the pot) when i hit something decent- what u guys think?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh i agree- people jsut cant fold to big bets, so not only do you seem to get called at least as often if not more you get paid of shitloads more- but i dont think in heads up paly it can be all push or fold? and if it is, surely you cant wait for a set or a nutflush, you'll jsut be folding far too often

short-handed play isn't about cards anymore. it's about position, and the fact that your opponents don't get dealt cards as often as you don't. if you're playing 4-5 handed or less, nearly any ace from any position is raise-worthy. i try and limit my selection in 6-handed games from the first two positions to AT or better, but from the cutoff or button i open up with pretty much any ace. any pair is worth betting for value.post-flop play is similar to pre-flop--bet. you're going to miss the flop 70% of the time--but so will your opponents. if the flop is real bland and you lead pre-flop, lead again. it's that simple. don't let up. if you get played back at, you have to play good poker to decide what to do.that's where the following come into play:1. experience. you have to know when people are just pushing back because you're pushing them around.2. balls. you have to go after people and go after the pots. in tournaments, attack every small pot short-handed that you can. build your stack from the little pots no one wants. you have to, on occasion, put all your chips in on a total bluff/semi-bluff. obviously you have to pick your spots very, VERY carefully, but there's going to be a time when you KNOW the other guy can't call, and the pot is too juicey to give up on.3. deception. sometimes you can lead right out on a flop with top set or something. if you're aggressive as hell, then bet your strong hands just as well as you bet those times when your AJo totally missed the flop. don't OVERBET your hands ever, but make sensible bets.i really recommend watching the entire turning stone broadcast from last summer. the play is six handed and down. it's john juanda, randy jensen, paul phillips, robert williamson, john d'agostino and phil ivey. if you like poker on tv, this is the BEST broadcast that has ever graced the airwaves. you'll learn a LOT from watching these guys play.trust me, this one broadcast will do wonders for your game. you actually get to see all the meaningless hands, the ones where no one calls your opening bet, etc. it gives you a full idea of the ebb and flow of a good table. you'll learn why they're pushing people out of pots, why they're moving all-in with second pair, why they're folding a big hand, etc.

also, the best piece of advice for heads-up is... raise.read harrington on hold 'em vol 2. the heads-up section and the subsequent rundown of a few heads-up matches are invaluable. i've played a TON of heads up, and even i learned a lot from it.

i really recommend watching the entire turning stone broadcast from last summer. the play is six handed and down. it's john juanda, randy jensen, paul phillips, robert williamson, john d'agostino and phil ivey. if you like poker on tv, this is the BEST broadcast that has ever graced the airwaves. you'll learn a LOT from watching these guys play. oh boy.good entertainment, that's for sure, any wayps: Watch how chan slow plays the flopped straight to win the 83? WSOP..that will teach yuo the art of slowplaying....

Anyway, don't play heads up.Waste of EV.
... not if you're better than the other player.actuary: that's heads up. of course he's going to slowplay. and it was 89. it really wasn't as big a play as everyone says it was. he flopped the nuts. the nuts are easy to play.
not if you're better than the other player.  Sure, whatever.You're wrong, though.Good luck.
lol ok. yeah, it's not like i'd have any idea. i've only logged probably 500 hours playing heads-up on UB. i must not have any idea.

lol ok. yeah, it's not like i'd have any idea. i've only logged probably 500 hours playing heads-up on UB. i must not have any idea.Exactly.500 hours, wow.When's the book coming out?Man, I'm the best.Good luck.

actuary:  that's heads up.  of course he's going to slowplay.  and it was 89.  it really wasn't as big a play as everyone says it was.  he flopped the nuts.  the nuts are easy to play.
it was sarcasm.like when you advised watching a telecast to get better at poker..same thing.

you have no idea cause smash said so and he is the emperor of the fcp community. he rules with an iron fist. anything anyone else says is rubbish and deserves to be flamed. (who would win a fight? The grimace or the hamburgalar.)

you have no idea cause smash said so and he is the emperor of the fcp community. he rules with an iron fist. anything anyone else says is rubbish and deserves to be flamed. Nah, only when I'm right.Like now.good luck.

lol ok. yeah, it's not like i'd have any idea. i've only logged probably 500 hours playing heads-up on UB. i must not have any idea.Exactly.500 hours, wow.When's the book coming out?Man, I'm the best.Good luck.
the book will be out in a few years.do you know what EV is? you obviously don't.let's say i am playing player x. i will win 70% of the matches. the buy-in is $109. the 9 is a house fee. winner gets $200. that means 70% of the time i win $200. 30% of the time i lose my $109.my EV is $107.3. there, there's positive EV. now try and write about things you don't understand and get people to listen to.
you have no idea cause smash said so and he is the emperor of the fcp community.  he rules with an iron fist.  anything anyone else says is rubbish and deserves to be flamed.  (who would win a fight?   The grimace or the hamburgalar.)
i don't post here much, so i have no clue who this clown is.i just put him in his place. he obviously has NO clue what he's talking about. he rules nothing but his toilet seat.

take that smash u smarty pants.just face it, he is rupper and you are glue.he is the yoda to your stupid emperor gimic, eventually vader is just gonna chuck your sorry as.s.

the book will be out in a few years.do you know what EV is? you obviously don't.let's say i am playing player x. i will win 70% of the matches. the buy-in is $109. the 9 is a house fee. winner gets $200. that means 70% of the time i win $200. 30% of the time i lose my $109.my EV is $107.3. there, there's positive EV. now try and write about things you don't understand and get people to listen to.Hi.1. I didn't say it couldn't be EV, I said it was a WASTE of EV. Learn to read, please.2. You couldn't win 70% against Ray Charles randomly clicking a mouse.Good luck.

i dont post here a lot either as u can see, i just hate smash cause he has a superiority complex, i would love to play with him and just suck out with every donkey move possible because he is the greatest poker player in the world. hands down.

the book will be out in a few years.do you know what EV is? you obviously don't.let's say i am playing player x. i will win 70% of the matches. the buy-in is $109. the 9 is a house fee. winner gets $200. that means 70% of the time i win $200. 30% of the time i lose my $109.my EV is $107.3. there, there's positive EV. now try and write about things you don't understand and get people to listen to.
lawl lawl lawl.Someone get this kid his meds.

i don't post here much, so i have no clue who this clown is.i just put him in his place. he obviously has NO clue what he's talking about. he rules nothing but his toilet seat.The clown's going to clear about $200k from playing this year.I probably don't have 500 hours in playing heads up at UB though.Good luck.

the book will be out in a few years.do you know what EV is? you obviously don't.let's say i am playing player x. i will win 70% of the matches. the buy-in is $109. the 9 is a house fee. winner gets $200. that means 70% of the time i win $200. 30% of the time i lose my $109.my EV is $107.3. there, there's positive EV. now try and write about things you don't understand and get people to listen to.Hi.1.  I didn't say it couldn't be EV, I said it was a WASTE of EV.  Learn to read, please.2.  You couldn't win 70% against Ray Charles randomly clicking a mouse.Good luck.
explain how +EV is ever a "waste of EV." you obviously don't even know what the **** EV is, so there's no way you can explain it.and yes, i can win 70% of my heads up matches, and i would probably school you around 85% of the time. i win at least 70% in the long run in heads-up sit and goes on UB. it's not hard, they are absolutely terrible. if you played nearly as much as i do, and didn't hit refresh every 5 seconds on this message board to make posts about things you don't even understand, then you might be able to too. let me guess, you watched the 2004 WSOP, bought phil hellmuth's book, and have played 50 tournaments on pokerstars. now you're a friggin genius. oh that's not all, you're a pure poker MASTER now that you read theory of poker. i should bow down to you sir.