tourney question for smash

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smash's egoistic view of poker is starting to annoy me. his "strategy" for the NL ring games is laughable because it basically throws out everythign poker is "obtaining and exploiting information." instead he wants you to drone down to a simple "go all-in or don't" method that HARDLY ever works. He believed every NL player is an idiot and LM players excel in everyway NL players don't. I respect LM players as I know it is an equally tough game, but to compare NL to LM is like comparing a cat from a dog. Two completely different games and i'm sure Smash already knows that, but there is no reason for him to disrepect the other. what? are all NL players incapable of thinking and adapting? I play both limit and NL and i can honestly both have challenges and fishes that one has to adapt to.

I love that Smash is the guru of strategy now. I will admit, that I always thought he as a tad egotistical and some of his statements I completely disagreed with, but I tried his all or nothing no limit approach with success at the low level no limit games. So I am interested to see if he posts something here. On a side note, I'm really interested to try the Smash method tonight at around 2a.m. when the drunk college kids get home.

Why would you ask for Smash's opinion on tournament strategy?1. He never plays them2. He's not very good at them, which leads to his statement about thinking they're for suckers. (it's a viscious cycle you see?)So what exactly do you think you would get from whatever he has to say about it?I really don't understand why everyone needs smash's or daniel's advice all the time.... There are about 100 people on this forum who know a lot more, and play a lot more tournaments than smash, and on the same note.... there's plenty of people who could probably tell you what poker room is good, and where to get a decent hot dog in vegas, better than daniel can. Please stop it people!

Smash-I know you feel tournaments are for suckers, but lets say I still wanted to play them. What type of strategy would you recommend?Thanks.
Why don't you ask somebody that plays tournaments?
I love that Smash is the guru of strategy now. I will admit, that I always thought he as a tad egotistical and some of his statements I completely disagreed with, but I tried his all or nothing no limit approach with success at the low level no limit games. So I am interested to see if he posts something here. On a side note, I'm really interested to try the Smash method tonight at around 2a.m. when the drunk college kids get home.
Here, maybe you should try the Kurt method.*Insert Smash Method here*butIf you hit top pair, try betting instead of folding, if you hit trips, try betting instead of folding, if you hit 2 pair, again... bet instead of fold.Now go and count all the money you gained by doing it this way instead.
make it 3am, and you are welcome to take all my money.
I love that Smash is the guru of strategy now.  I will admit, that I always thought he as a tad egotistical and some of his statements I completely disagreed with, but I tried his all or nothing no limit approach with success at the low level no limit games.  So I am interested to see if he posts something here.  On a side note, I'm really interested to try the Smash method tonight at around 2a.m. when the drunk college kids get home.
make it 3am, and you are welcome to take all my money.
Depends where you live really.... probably between 4 and 5am here.
On a side note, I'm really interested to try the Smash method tonight at around 2a.m. when the drunk college kids get home.
I doubt people get drunk and player NL poker at 2AM
Smash-I know you feel tournaments are for suckers, but lets say I still wanted to play them.  What type of strategy would you recommend?Thanks.
It would make more sense to ask me or Zimmer, we rock in tourneys. Smash is a limit god but tourneys are not his thing. As far as his NL strategy goes it works but must be stuck to to the T and most players cannot do that.

2. He's not very good at them, which leads to his statement about thinking they're for suckers. Actually I'm ahead about $14k lifetime in tournaments.I just find them really, really boring.Dont confuse that with me not doing well in them.Good luck.OP, I'd read Harrington if I was really intrested in learning to play NL Holdem tournaments.Even though they are for suckers.

Two completely different games and i'm sure Smash already knows that, but there is no reason for him to disrepect the other. what? are all NL players incapable of thinking and adapting?Yup, they're mindless bufallo randomly guessing at what to do. The luckiest buffalo wins the tournament.I'm not the one that made escelating blind tournaments largely about luck. The structure of them does that all by itself.Good luck.

i do think that most tourneys i have played in are pushed so hard by the blind structure, there is never any post flop play. I think smash's low limit no limit strategy shows that he understands the game, but just feels it is a tad ree-cockulous.

On a side note, I'm really interested to try the Smash method tonight at around 2a.m. when the drunk college kids get home.
I doubt people get drunk and player NL poker at 2AM
http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...pic.php?t=25230Only after they drop some $$ playing limit, then move up and win some back, then play a SnG, do they finally play NL....
2. He's not very good at them, which leads to his statement about thinking they're for suckers.  Actually I'm ahead about $14k lifetime in tournaments.I just find them really, really boring.Dont confuse that with me not doing well in them.Good luck.OP, I'd read Harrington if I was really intrested in learning to play NL Holdem tournaments.Even though they are for suckers.
Pretty sure I got that from something you said in the past sometime.But either way.... you only need to get lucky once or twice to be up that much lifetime.... technically.Just saying.
Smash-I know you feel tournaments are for suckers, but lets say I still wanted to play them.  What type of strategy would you recommend?Thanks.
It would make more sense to ask me or Zimmer, we rock in tourneys.
What buy-in range do you guys 'rock' at? Lower? Not a flame, but if you guys really do have good track records (sorry I don't pay much attention to all the 'i made a FT' threads), then I'm always interested in finding good tournament players to back.If you are already playing the higher buy-in events, then disregard this, but I figured I'd recognize either of your screen names via playing with you if that was the case.PM me if interested. Ha, I guess I could open up that offer to others, but you have to have some sort of credible (and verifiable) track record.Patrick
Why would you ask for Smash's opinion on tournament strategy?1. He never plays them2. He's not very good at them, which leads to his statement about thinking they're for suckers. (it's a viscious cycle you see?)So what exactly do you think you would get from whatever he has to say about it?I really don't understand why everyone needs smash's or daniel's advice all the time.... There are about 100 people on this forum who know a lot more, and play a lot more tournaments than smash, and on the same note.... there's plenty of people who could probably tell you what poker room is good, and where to get a decent hot dog in vegas, better than daniel can.  Please stop it people!
The MGM, Bellagio, or The Palms. As for the hot dog I highly suggest Pinks Hot Dogs inside the Aladdin or Mr. Hot Dog on Flamingo and Maryland. WORD!!!!

patrick will you back me in the weekly 7card no peek tourney at the american legion. I would greatly appreciate it. I won it last month so 1 out of 5 isn't bad i don't think. You can ask Gerry the bartender he saw it all.

Pretty sure I got that from something you said in the past sometime.But either way.... you only need to get lucky once or twice to be up that much lifetime.... technically.Just saying.I've never said I was bad a tourmaments. What I very likely did say was that I made more money for the time spent playing cash games.I think this is true of everyone who doesn't suck at cash games.I've played a lot of tournaments, probably at least 500. I tend not to play large buy in ones because, again, I find them really boring and a waste of my time. I imagine I could play them exclusively and make mid to high five figures a year, more if I was lucky a few times.They are, however, boring, for suckers, and largely a joke.Good luck.