have you ever completely lost control ..............

OK this is a VERY serious question and along with the flames I want some serious answers if its possibe.I got drunk as shit last night because I have had the worst 2 days at work you can imagine and just alot of stress, anger, aggression, etc etc.Keep in mind I am a 6'2 140 lb dude so a tall skinny fucker and I killed an entire 12 pack of bud light during my poker session last night. For those that have followed my blog and read my posts here you know I am very serious about poker, and especially about proper bankroll management. For the past 8 months I have slowly grinded my $50 into $3500+ and am trying to get to my goal of $5000.Well guys I dont know what to say besides I completely lost control of myself last night. It started off with a few beers and horrible bad beats at my regular $5/$10 game, then I started chasing cards, money and getting more in debt. Then I do two cardinal sins, I kept drinking and I jumped to $1o/$20. I proceeded to keep drinking and keep losing, found myself down $1500 out of my entire roll of $3500 so only $2000 left. It was so bad that I took my last $2000 and put it all at at a $20/$40 table and my mindset at the time was I really didnt care if I lost it all.Someone smiled on my stupidity and I won about a $1000 at the $20/$40 table so I should have been happy and quit with my $500 loss instead of $1500, but hell no I proceed to play a $100 SnG at 1:00 AM, which I placed 3rd in for $180, then I proceeded to play $400 NL at 2 AM after I had completely killed my 12 pack of beers. I managed to win about $200 more at the NL tables and found my total damage for the drunken session to only be a loss of $160.So after 3 long hours of sleep and being back to work I am looking back on last night with utter disgust and disbelief. I really cant believe I was willing to throw 8 1/2 months and over 1500 table hours of grinding away on 1 drunken binge. I am a responsible guy, very happily married, 2 amazing kids, nice day job, etc etc. I like to think I'm pretty intelligent, but honestly I cant figure out what happened last night. I dont know what kind of comments or feedback I am looking for here other then I'm just simply venting my crazy night. I feel pretty confident in saying that was a 1 time thing and I'm back to the daily grind of proper play and proper bankroll managementDiscuss ........

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit happens, DNA. Shake it off and go on. You obviously needed to blow off some steam as you appear to have realized this morning. Just be glad you didn't blow off your whole bankroll.Chalk it up to learning. Nobody can really say "don't do that, donk" or whatever because it is apparent that you already know that.Glad things turned out okay for you.BTW - What did the wife say about this drunken binge?

Strong work. Man, you are a skinny dude. I'm 6'2" 160 and I'm pretty thin. But that's neither here nor there...You got damn lucky this time. If you are anything like me this won't happen again for a long, long time. Shit, the more I think about it the more I'm realizing how lucky you got. The few times I did something similar I lost almost all my roll. I say just don't even turn on your computer when you're drunk. I have told my girlfriend to hide our internet cable thing that hooks up to the computer when I know I'll come home hammered and want to play. I can always tell when it will be a belligerant night, so before I'm drunk I take precautions because I'm an idiot when I drink.

DNA... its ok man. sometimes the grind gets to you, and bad luck beats really censored you off (i wrote censored)If its any help., i havent played much online lately, since a couple drunken nights, I lost a ton on heads up limit, and another ton at the 200 nl tables.but, granted, i gotta give myself some respect cuz it was more just bad luck losing to runner runner, and heads up, losing to a guy who would raise everything, and check call until his cards hit.

You know how disasterous last night could have been so there is no need to beat you up about it. I would just seriously think of the implications alcohol can have on judgement and dont let yourself get in that situation again. Imagine how you would feel today if you were down to $2000? $1000? $500? $0?Is 12 beers, shooting of steam, etc. worth it?

I now have even more respect for you. I love the fact you kept moving up. I have no bankroll mgmt and I play for entertainment value. I just use my entertainment money for poker and don't seperate it but I love the gamble you showed. Throwing caution to the wind. You're game is quality and there is no reason you couldn't win at that game. Except maybe 12 beers. Although I can't imagine you were so bombed that you went insane and played 10 2 off.Good for you. Take the whole roll and multi at 10 20. I've developed a gambling problem. Don't listen to me. I need action most times. I bet if my takeout order would be ready the other day. I lost. I still won't bet on sports though.

DNA... its ok man. sometimes the grind gets to you, and bad luck beats really censored you off (i wrote censored)If its any help., i havent played much online lately, since a couple drunken nights, I lost a ton on heads up limit, and another ton at the 200 nl tables.but, granted, i gotta give myself some respect cuz it was more just bad luck losing to runner runner, and heads up, losing to a guy who would raise everything, and check call until his cards hit.
Have you found yourself in converstion with people and actually used the word censored instead of a curse word? I have and I absolutely laughed my ass off when they were like "censored, what?"
Have you found yourself in converstion with people and actually used the word censored instead of a curse word? I have and I absolutely laughed my ass off when they were like "censored, what?"
:cry: . yes i have.i've also been reading off license plates as AJP 907 (Ace Jack P. 9 0 7)
:cry: . yes i have.i've also been reading off license plates as AJP 907 (Ace Jack P. 9 0 7)
F'n poker forums! Whats up with the Pm we discussed

Take a break for a few days. Heh. I gave Mattnxtc the same advice, but the last thing you want to happen is a "this feels just like last night" type of a session. The games will still be there Monday. Come back for the Empire Bonus, but take a break until then.Guinevar

Consider yourself lucky for not losing the whole BR.Next time you want to blow off steam, there are better ways to do it than playing poker. Can anyone say strip club? :club: Seriously, if there's going to be alcohol involved, why not go out with some friends and let loose? Poker will be there tomorrow.

You know how disasterous last night could have been so there is no need to beat you up about it. I would just seriously think of the implications alcohol can have on judgement and dont let yourself get in that situation again. Imagine how you would feel today if you were down to $2000? $1000? $500? $0?Is 12 beers, shooting of steam, etc. worth it?
absolutely not worth it, i hate i even lost $160. Again I have never done anything like this before and can say I hope I never will again. I guess I need to hit the play money tables or the $5 SnGs or something when I need to vent or relieve stress. Again, I am not looking for anyone here to say "your an idiot, you got lucky, you know what you did was wrong, etc etc"I am just truly amazed at what happened. I am the LAST person that I would expect to do what happened last night. Believe it or not I get 1 or 2 private messages every day from people reading my blog trying to do a similiar thing, turn $50 into "X" and are asking for advice, etc etc. I always preach bankroll management, dont chase money, set loss limits unless your really think your the favorite at the table, etc etc.I can steal the line from Matt Damon to K'nish in rounders. "You know this is one time I don’t need you to tell me how I fucked up. I know I fucked up."Alcohol is simply the devil and you shouldnt play poker as a stress reliever, combine the two and its a recipe for disaster, I guess thats the lesson learned

He's obviously a bright guy with a good job. If he lost the roll, the world wouldn't end. He would go to his savings, take out some money and keep rolling. I understand you all look at this like a business and that is admirable, but I see it as my hobby. Hobbies cost money. This hobby can make you money. That is how I differ from most of you. That, and all the c0ck jokes.I respect it either way.

He's obviously a bright guy with a good job. If he lost the roll, the world wouldn't end. He would go to his savings, take out some money and keep rolling. I understand you all look at this like a business and that is admirable, but I see it as my hobby. Hobbies cost money. This hobby can make you money. That is how I differ from most of you. That, and all the c0ck jokes.I respect it either way.
Well through all your nuggets of shit Ron you once and awhile hit on some kernel of truth.Besides I am a bright guy ofcourse Everything I am playing with is 100% winnings and is 100% seperate from my 'life money'. Poker is a hobby (an extreme one at that) for me and I do not expect any income from it.
I did win the biggest pot of my life last night though, $807http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=vi...iew&hand=109239
It kills me every time to see the play at high limits (or what I consider to be high limits). Capping preflop with A10? It was incredibly obvious that you had a high pp, and this guy didn't slow down until the 3-bet on the turn.I need a bigger bankroll.
I did win the biggest pot of my life last night though, $807http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=vi...iew&hand=109239
It kills me every time to see the play at high limits (or what I consider to be high limits). Capping preflop with A10? It was incredibly obvious that you had a high pp, and this guy didn't slow down until the 3-bet on the turn.I need a bigger bankroll.
Not just A10.... A10 SOOOOOOTED...
It was incredibly obvious that you had a high pp, and this guy didn't slow down until the 3-bet on the turn.
LOL YEA. Theres no disguising your play after 12 brewskies. Also theres no folding with AA after 12 brewskies. It didnt really matter what came out I dont think I just kept tapping the raise button aimlessly not even really paying attention to who else was in the hand or what cards fell. RAISE, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee, RAISE, weeeeeeeeeeee, oh wtf, I just put $300 into this pot?, let me see whats going on now.And yes it is amazing that even at the $40 level people can play like idiots, capping with AT
I now have even more respect for you. I love the fact you kept moving up. I have no bankroll mgmt and I play for entertainment value. I just use my entertainment money for poker and don't seperate it but I love the gamble you showed. Throwing caution to the wind. You're game is quality and there is no reason you couldn't win at that game. Except maybe 12 beers. Although I can't imagine you were so bombed that you went insane and played 10 2 off.Good for you. Take the whole roll and multi at 10 20. I've developed a gambling problem. Don't listen to me. I need action most times. I bet if my takeout order would be ready the other day. I lost. I still won't bet on sports though.
You're a baseball fan, right? And you read the Sports Guy on espn.com? I hope you know about his favorite betting game, which I have done many times and makes for the most fun 9 innings you'll ever have.Go see a game with a few friends. Sit fairly close to the infield. Now draw inning numbers out of a hat, and everyone put $50 bucks into the pot. If at the end of your inning the catcher rolls the ball out to the pitcher's mound and it stays on the mound without rolling onto the grass, you win the pot. Refill the pot, and repeat.I guarantee this will make for an incredibly fun drunken baseball game with your buddies. There was one time we had half our section involved, and probably half of Fenway was wondering why we kept getting so wild right after every inning...

Playing poker while drunk is like beating the hell out of your girlfriend.It feels good when you're doing it, and...well, I guess that's about all they have in common,and I don't really see the downside.Oh, and speedz, check your mess.

F'n poker forums! Whats up with the Pm we discussed
Oh ya., hahah sorry. i'll send you some stuff asap, this weekend