flyers finally going to win a cup?

Philadelphia. City of brotherly love and sports letdown. With the Eagles finally going to the Super Bowl, this town had something to believe in. Of course that didnt last long. Now, the Flyers have made a ton of moves that have left Flyers fans stunned and ready for a new season. They signed arguably the best fordward in Forseberg and two great defensemen in Hatcher and Rathje. With the young guns like Richards, Carter, Sharp, Pitkanen, Nittymaki, and Gagne this team is built for a great next 5-7 years. Returning veterans such as Dejardans, Kapanen, and Primeau will lead the way as this dynamic team marches on towards the cup. So here's the big question...... Will the Flyers win the cup this year?

The Flyers are like paint.  No major improvements were made, just a new coat applied to give the appearance of new and inproved!
Are you serious? Do you even watch hockey? Forsberg, Hatcher and Rathje are HUGE additions. Losing some of the older players and turning the team into a young team with a few seasoned veterans, they made all the right moves. Clarke did an excellent job here. Your brain must be messed up by all that new paint you're smelling.

Forsberg was never a person you could build a franchise around, just like Lindros, dominant when healthy, but never healthy enough to be trustworthy enough. The players who fit the mold are the Joe Sakic's the Steve Yzerman's, they're more of the reasons why the teams won the cups. If Hatcher can return to form, he'll be dominant, but that remains to be seen, Rathje was the 3rd best defensemen on SJ and I highly doubt he'll be any better in Philly. They'll be good, don't get me wrong, but I'm putting my money on Calgary this year.

The Flyers are like paint. No major improvements were made, just a new coat applied to give the appearance of new and inproved!
Are you serious? Do you even watch hockey? Forsberg, Hatcher and Rathje are HUGE additions. Losing some of the older players and turning the team into a young team with a few seasoned veterans, they made all the right moves. Clarke did an excellent job here. Your brain must be messed up by all that new paint you're smelling.
LOL...yeah I watch hockey. Do you? Do you know that Forsberg has necer scored more than 30 goals in a season? Do you know that derian Hatcher is slow and has played 14 games since the 2002-03 season? Do you know that they lost...Mark RecchiAlexei ZhamnovJeremy RoenickJohn LeclairVladimir MalakhovDmitri MarkovTony Amonteand a few other minor role players?
The Flyers are like paint. No major improvements were made, just a new coat applied to give the appearance of new and inproved!
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHave you noticed who's provided the most insite (BY FAR) to the NHL in this forum??And I do not think they will. Not only because I'm a Pens fan.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHave you noticed who's provided the most insite (BY FAR) to the NHL in this forum??And I do not think they will. Not only because I'm a Pens fan.
Word brother!

I hate the Flyers (I'll declare my bias right out of the gate).Always hated Bob Clark.But I do think they've made some beautiful moves, and I admire the buying out of popular veterans who have little left in the Tank.However, the Goaltending situation has to be addresed (Esche doesn't seemed poised to be a cup winning goaltender) and the D, although Rathje was a good addition, is still suspect 1-6.Very difficult to tell how teams will react to the rule changes though, I'll be looking forward to see how many scoring chances will result due to the red line removal and the obstruction crackdown (if it occurs).briguy

Word brother!
OO is that right, most insight huh? Gimme a break. You look to much at the stats and less at the player himslef. The new rules in the NHL makes having big defensemen a must have. If you're going to critique me fro anything, get me something better than that. And your precious Pens got Recchi and LeClair who I loved in Philly but now am forced to hate. Crosby is a giant signing and i really think the Pens will be a contender but wont win this year.
OO is that right, most insight huh? Gimme a break. You look to much at the stats and less at the player himslef.
Have you read some of the stuff he's posted?? You should take your foot outta your mouth.
I hate the Flyers (I'll declare my bias right out of the gate).Always hated Bob Clark.But I do think they've made some beautiful moves, and I admire the buying out of popular veterans who have little left in the Tank.However, the Goaltending situation has to be addresed (Esche doesn't seemed poised to be a cup winning goaltender) and the D, although Rathje was a good addition, is still suspect 1-6.Very difficult to tell how teams will react to the rule changes though, I'll be looking forward to see how many scoring chances will result due to the red line removal and the obstruction crackdown (if it occurs).briguy
First off, its Clarke, but, fact being you hate the Flyers, Ill let it slide. Everyone attacks the Flyers goaltending, but Esche is a very capable goalie and Nittymaki is the future goalie who should have a breakout season this year or next year if he gets a shot. I didnt know much about Rathje, but I do like his size and ability. With the new rules in place, the Flyesr d should be one of the best in the league.
LOL...yeah I watch hockey. Do you? Do you know that Forsberg has necer scored more than 30 goals in a season? Do you know that derian Hatcher is slow and has played 14 games since the 2002-03 season? Do you know that they lost...Mark RecchiAlexei ZhamnovJeremy RoenickJohn LeclairVladimir MalakhovDmitri MarkovTony Amonteand a few other minor role players?
Ok, from that list, I only want two players back. One being Roenick cause he is a fan favorite and always plays his heart out. Two being Recchi because of his ability to break a game open with his speed and agility. The rest were good but most were aging and out of their prime. And who cares that Forseberg never scored more than 30 in a season? Does it matter? Hatcher's health does concern me but he is a star when healthy. Do you really hate the flyers or do u like to argue badly?
The Flyers are like paint.  No major improvements were made, just a new coat applied to give the appearance of new and inproved!
Ok, from that list, I only want two players back. One being Roenick cause he is a fan favorite and always plays his heart out. Two being Recchi because of his ability to break a game open with his speed and agility. The rest were good but most were aging and out of their prime. And who cares that Forseberg never scored more than 30 in a season? Does it matter? Hatcher's health does concern me but he is a star when healthy. Do you really hate the flyers or do u like to argue badly?
You are the one that seems to like to argue Badly! I prefer to argue well! You keep talking about these "new rules" that are gonna help the Flyers so much. Which rules are you talking about. Surely it's not the smaller goaltender equipment. Is it the prevention of the team icing the puck to make a line change? Maybe you mean the removal of the red line which may allow Hatcher, Rathje and the other tall trees to utilize their blazing speed. Interference, hooking, holding, obstruction, etc has been in the NHL rulebook for awhile now so surely someone with your extensive hockey knowledge is not referring to this when you talk of the "new rules."I don't hate any team (with the possible exception of the Leafs), I just try to give an honest opinion. Rating a team low simply because you "hate" them is just as bad as rating a team high based solely on the fact that you are a fan of the team. But you wouldn't do that....
You are the one that seems to like to argue Badly! I prefer to argue well! You keep talking about these "new rules" that are gonna help the Flyers so much. Which rules are you talking about. Surely it's not the smaller goaltender equipment. Is it the prevention of the team icing the puck to make a line change? Maybe you mean the removal of the red line which may allow Hatcher, Rathje and the other tall trees to utilize their blazing speed. Interference, hooking, holding, obstruction, etc has been in the NHL rulebook for awhile now so surely someone with your extensive hockey knowledge is not referring to this when you talk of the "new rules."I don't hate any team (with the possible exception of the Leafs), I just try to give an honest opinion. Rating a team low simply because you "hate" them is just as bad as rating a team high based solely on the fact that you are a fan of the team. But you wouldn't do that....
I like the Flyers, I wont lie. Why do you think I started this topic? And you hate the leafs, well I tip my hat to you then. And the new rules that should help the Flyers out is the removal of the 2 line pass with the red line gone so that their dynamic players can open the game up. Thats all im saying mister hockey genuis. And I do rate the devils low simply because i hate them. they should find a hole up there in north jersey and all die in it.
And the new rules that should help the Flyers out is the removal of the 2 line pass with the red line gone so that their dynamic players can open the game up.
My whole point is that I think they have fewer dynamic players now than they did pre-lockout.Enjoy the season!

Ya I got no extra knowledge to throw out there....just saying the flyers aren't gonna do anything special. They may make the playoffs and win a round, but I'm a Pens fan and this year they are gonna leave the flyers in the dust.

Ya I got no extra knowledge to throw out there....just saying the flyers aren't gonna do anything special.  They may make the playoffs and win a round, but I'm a Pens fan and this year they are gonna leave the flyers in the dust.
Pens did a good job in signing a few of the Flyer's broken down fordwards. The signing of Crosby is huge, I admit, but its his first year. The Pens arent the top notch team like the Flyers are.

It's true that Forsberg might be the best player in hockey - when he plays a full season. However, you can't depend on him for that, and therefore he's not the type of guy you can build a franchise around. Hatcher, in my opinion, was a mistake to sign. Yes, he had a lot of great years, but he was TERRIBLE in Detroit last year. He didn't even look like he belonged in the NHL. Yes, he had an injury, but the unrepairable flaw in his game is that he's almost always the slowest player on the ice. In the past, he used his great physical play and defensive positioning to make up for it. I think he's lost a step though, even from what he was. And with more of a premium on speed in the NHL now, I don't know if a guy like Hatcher can last much longer.

Pens did a good job in signing a few of the Flyer's broken down forwards.
PredictionsMark Recchi - at least 70 pointsJohn Leclair - at least 30 goals

Digital, I'm not here to question your hockey knowledge.Bones. STFU, you are giving Flyers fans a bad name. (Not that we had a good name but whatever)I am a huge Flyers fan, was looking to get season tickets, but couldn't find enoughpeople to buy in with me.Do the Flyers have a chance to win the cup sure. Do I think they will absolutly. Do I have any stats to back that up? Not really. I think that many would agree that they are one of the pre-season favorites to get to the Cup finals out of the East. Goaltending I do not think is going to be an issue for the Flyers. Esche is good, Niitymaki is just as good if not better IMO.As far as Pittsburgh goes...2-3 years and they will be a huge threat in the East.