i went bust for the first time, almost

combination of impatience + playing above my bankroll + a bit of tilt + variance led to me losing $1250 in the past seven days.that's not all of my roll, thankfully, but that's a good chunk, about 35%. the real effect, though, is that i'm out of commission for a little bit, since the other 65% of my roll is on loan to a good friend.fortunately, i had just enough PSO points to get myself a $100 gift certificate to party, and once that arrives, it's time to start grinding it out again. it certainly will be hard to focus on playing 50c/$1 seriously when i've been doing $5/$10 and $10/$20 for the past two weeks.well, i've learned a lesson, the hard way. hope you all can learn it cheaper. don't play above your roll, don't lose emotional control, there's always tomorrow, don't try to fight back for money lost, yada yada yada.sorry if this comes off as a sympathy post, not meant to be.aseem

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised of all people that you would be playing above your bankroll like this. This is a lesson that we all have to learn at some point, because we all get sick of grinding it out at the lower limits when we feel we can beat the higher games. Yes you probably can beat the higher games, but without a bankroll which is like a safety net, it's hard not to fail. Most people just do not play as well when they're taking a shot, particularly with money they can't really afford to lose. Just be patient and keep grinding it out at the limits your bankroll allows and go from there. Being tapped out or running short on bankroll is never fun, which is why playing within your bankroll is so important.

we all get sick of grinding it out at the lower limits when we feel we can beat the higher games. Yes you probably can beat the higher games, but without a bankroll which is like a safety net, it's hard not to fail.
this was EXACTLY my problem.i was so tired of playing $2/$4 and $3/$6 to eek out a few dollars an hour when there was so much action a little higher up.i really couldn't help myself when i was witnessing the action on a super-juicy $10/$20 omaha hi/lo game, same with a $10/$20 hold 'em game, and i almost sat down at a $15/$30 omaha hi/lo game.taking a shot is one thing, but i was doing a little more than that...
Most people just do not play as well when they're taking a shot, particularly with money they can't really afford to lose.
i don't feel this was true for me.i was playing just as well at $10/$20 hold 'em because the game played out just like play money. regularly 6 or 7 players to the flop, huge pots, etc.a little downswing and a few suckouts just did me in.aseem

I know exactly what you mean, I'm sick like that too :club: I played 10/20 with like 200 dollars as a bankroll when I first started out, if you could actually call that a bankroll. The one thing I can say you gain from going bust like this is that the money will not really matter as much to you, which is a good thing. I was just making a general comment as to what happens with most people who play above their bankrolls and usually they play scared and overly tight, not saying that's the case with you, because as you well know variance just kicks in sometimes and it tends to do it more often when your under bankrolled. I went bust like several times before I finally got my act together and played somewhat within my bankroll. There's really no alternative to grinding it out and building a roll, it might take a while to get there, but at least you'll get there.

I was lucky enough to not start playing online until after I had learned the rules of good bankroll management. I'm telling you, it has been the most valuable asset in trying to make a living playing poker. I started at .25/50 after depositing 100 dollars, and I'm now playing regularly at 5/10 6 max and 10/20. Patience is so important. I've had a couple -1k days, and it's not fun, but it's a lot easier for me to just take it in stride when I know I have the bankroll to continue playing at these limits.I know you've learned your lesson, and I'm sure you'll be back up again in no time. GL.T9

that used/is my problem...i like money and i always feel i can beat higher limits than 1/2. yet i keep havin to tell mself everyday that i can allow myself to go broke. its brutal sitting at 1/2 but for now its all i can do...

Man, I'd stake you in a heartbeat, if I could. But your losses for the last week amount to about 5 times my entire bankroll. Yikes. Best of luck on your rebound. Don't lose focus.Mensch
Ditto with my roll of total $273.75 :club: You'll make it back, Aseem, and I know you'll have a new appreciation of 2/4 and 3/6 when you get your bigger chunk back.

this is honestly really disappointing. i know you guys are saying i'll make it back, but i honestly don't know if i can trust myself not to make the same stupid mistake in the future.i started with $400 in mid april and worked it up to over $3.5k since then, and i just stupidly lost 1/3 of it in a few days. how do i know that even if i make it back and get my roll to $10k that i won't lose all of it in a week playing above my head at $40/$80 or something like that?*sigh*aseem

Well, at least you left yourself somewhat of an out, you still got money and enough to start building your bankroll back up again. You'll get it back in time. Not to mention, you also learned a valuable lesson. It's kind of funny though, we read thousands of posts and articles by experienced poker players who teach us never to committ these same mistakes they made about money management, bankrolls, not going on tilt, etc etc... Yet we never listen and would rather find out ourselves what they where talking about. Then when we bust out and have next to nothing left...we think to ourselves "damn, i should have listened"

this is honestly really disappointing. i know you guys are saying i'll make it back, but i honestly don't know if i can trust myself not to make the same stupid mistake in the future.i started with $400 in mid april and worked it up to over $3.5k since then, and i just stupidly lost 1/3 of it in a few days. how do i know that even if i make it back and get my roll to $10k that i won't lose all of it in a week playing above my head at $40/$80 or something like that?*sigh*aseem
Just remember that you aren't a bad poker player. That is what I thought when I busted... All three times.Exactly.
Tattoo "I shall not be stooopid" on your forehead backwards. Look in a mirror regularly. :wink: Maybe when you hit a sufficent roll for 3/6 or whatever, peel off the further profits and hold them somewhere offline like Netteller until you're sufficently BRed to move up. then you've got your online roll, and you can build up offline where you might not be as tempted to impulsively take shots.
I don't trust myself either, So what I did is make sure you don't allow yourself to be able to deposit more than what you can handle losing. Set a daily deposit limit at X number of buyins (mines is 2-3). Cashout at the end of everyday and deposit again tomorrow. This way you gauruntee you can't lose more than a big portion of your bankroll and you live to play another day.
how do i know that even if i make it back and get my roll to $10k that i won't lose all of it in a week playing above my head at $40/$80 or something like that?aseem
BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT GOING TO!!!! Seriously. You're a good player, I've gotten a lot out of your posts, you will most definitely make it back. If you need someone to scream at you on the phone to keep your discipline up, I'll give you my phone number.A few things to keep in mind: 1) If you did something once, you can do it again. You built your roll once, you can do it again.2) I once heard a world-class futures trader say that everyone makes mistakes, the key is to TRY VERY HARD not to do it again. Do whatever you have to ... positive affirmations, self talk in the mirror, anything ... whatever it takes to brainwash yourself. Print out your first post in this thread and tape it to your desk, anything to remind you of what not to do.3) Finally, realize that in any performance oriented endeavor, the #1 reason why so few people succeed (IMO) is not a lack of talent nor a lack of knowledge, it's a lack of discipline. You're learning this the hard way, but you learned it early in life, and that just makes you all the more prepared for what lies ahead!Head up, eyes forward, get rested, and come back when you're ready to FIGHT! Everyday. You have to FIGHT to play good poker. You have to FIGHT to maintain discipline. You have to fight. But if you're willing to fight, you will make it. Of that, I have no doubt.

Aseem,You'll definitely make it back. I always check out your posts, and they're really informative. You know what you're doing. You just took a chance and got either unlucky or made a few mistakes. Everyone does including the top pros. Just grind it out, and you'll be fine.

thanks for all the support.the reason it's so drastic is because i don't expect to get the 65% of my bankroll on loan back anytime soon. a good friend was in a tough spot and i loaned the money to help him out, so i'm not about to suddenly ask for it back.anyway, i'm ready to start working up tonight. it's honestly going to be REALLY tough for me to keep my patience and really grind it out. earning less than minimum wage or just around there isn't going to be too fun, but, oh well.i'm going to take one piece of advice to heart, and that is that when i get back to my current level and have a decent roll again, i'm going to keep most of it offline in my bank account and only keep a certain amount on a site. i mean, i hope i never make the same mistake again of playing above my head, but... better safe than sorry.thanks again for the kind words.aseem

the reason it's so drastic is because i don't expect to get the 65% of my bankroll on loan back anytime soon. a good friend was in a tough spot and i loaned the money to help him out, so i'm not about to suddenly ask for it back.
I loaned out about 1/6th of my bankroll to a good friend a while back and will probably never see it again. I wish I knew who said it (Weisenberg, maybe?) but I read in cardplayer a while back, about an old gambler's take on loaning. It's a losing proposition because the best you can ever do is break even.I haven't had a substantial hit to my bankroll in a long time. I quit drinking so I never have to fight the battle between my day-game and night-game. Maybe I'm just a poor kid, but the money at $100NL means something to me. I don't understand everybody else's problem with bankroll management because I have no trouble sticking to my limits. In my mind, the great feeling of winning $400 at $400NL could never compare to the horrible depression I'd have if I lost 1/6th of my bankroll on ONE HAND.You probably know about everything I've said, but I just wanted to share anyway.

Don't lose heart, and don't overcompensate, either.1200 bucks isn't all THAT much money. I know I know I know, it's a good chunk, but you can make it back. And you will.You've just got to find that perfect balance between being aggressiveness with your roll, and cautiousness. Trust me: it's much worse to play 1/2 for the next 3 years trying to grind out a little petty cash. I finally grew a pair and started playing the occassional bigger NL game, and it was worth it. Finally, the "money" just didn't matter to me as much, because I knew I was good enough to always get it back.I went broke something like 5 times before it finally stuck, and I bent the game to my will. Yeah, I was playing out of my bankroll, and yeah, I was gonna get busted once or twice.But I'm not playing 25 dollar no limit games anymore (shrug). I'm rambling: but I think some people pass up profitable opportunities because they're scared to "go bust." Keep some money around for living expenses, and then get back onto the tables and hammer away until you're making the money you want to make, and doing so comfortably.Ice

Discipline.Also Discipline. Oh yeah, and discipline.If you ever get really stuck, Assem, I'd stake you to play .05/.10 at Stars to build your BR back up. So you'll allways have that going for you, which is nice!

Discipline.Also Discipline. Oh yeah, and discipline.If you ever get really stuck, Assem, I'd stake you to play .05/.10 at Stars to build your BR back up. So you'll allways have that going for you, which is nice!
Sigh. Why doesn't anybody ever offer to stake me in the "big game" on stars?