bankroll spankroll

I have a job.If I lose my entire Poker BR (heck I did several times in the beginning, only putting $50 in at a time.), I can replenish it.Now I have $800, $500 of which came from winning and $300 from deposits and bonuses. I still only play the lowest Limits on Party: HE and Omaha (both) ( $0.50 / $1.00 ) and the $10 NL SnG's, some $25 NL..etc...I'd like to get better at LHE.If current $$$ losses make no difference to me..would I have a better chance of improving my game going to 2/4 or even higher....or would I just be wasting my time until I can beat this lowest limit for 3+ BB /100 ?Right now I'm only beating it for 1 BB /100 over just 5400 hands.The 300BB rule does not apply to this question. I'm not asking for the "how to avoid ruin". Lets say I can put in $800 month to replenish my roll. Hypothetically. And I just want to get better and eventually play at 5/10.In otherwords...can playing at lower levels inforce bad habits ?What will make me a better 2/4 Player? Playing 0.5/1 or 2/4 ?I'd pre-empt Smasharoo's reply, but then I'd miss another chuckle.

well, I'm beating it..but not statistically certain yet by any means :club: But..what I'm asking is...does playing .5/1 make you more prepared to beat 2/4 than playing 2/4 would??How much I lose in the relative short run is not important (just pretend)

I think you can win at .5/1 with the most basic skills.Strong preflop hands and aggressive betting with made hands.As you move up through the limits, you have to add other skills like value betting draws, limping with marginal hands, and blind stealing/defense to remain a winner.It's probably easiest to master a couple skills at a time, and I think if you go straight to 2/4 you will have to work on more things simultaneously.I don't play 2/4 though, so maybe someone who does can comment.

well, I'm beating it..but not statistically certain yet by any means :club: But..what I'm asking is...does playing .5/1 make you more prepared to beat 2/4 than playing 2/4 would??How much I lose in the relative short run is not important (just pretend)
The problem is that if you are unprepared to play to 2/4 then you wont just lose for a little while, it could take long time and a ton of hands before you have patched up big leaks and are ready to beat the game. I would stick withthe .5/1 until you get more confidence, and then move up to the 2/4 when you feel you are ready.

Wow you guys are making it seem like there's some great quality play at any of these lower limits. You can probably get by playing a simple game up to 10/20, maybe even 15/30. Most players are losing players, the ones that play higher simply have a fatter wallet and more money they're willing to play poker with.If you feel like playing 2/4, go right for it. I don't know much about the quality of play at this level, but I can't imagine it being too hard.

There will probably be people who disagree with some of this, but so be it. Given what I've seen of your play (from your posts) I want to make the following comments, followed by a suggestion:- DO treat your bankroll like a separate business. I'm guessing here (but I think it's an educated guess) but I don't think you would suggest to one of your clients that they turn a blind eye to whether or not a new business venture is making money and simply replenish it from another source of income or nest egg. Treat your bankroll with care, and it will treat you with care.- Don't focus TOO hard on your winrate. This may sound heretical, but the fact is that variance is what it is, and beating a limit is still beating a limit. - If you are UNABLE to beat a particular limit (variance aside) you are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be able to beat a higher limit.- As you move up, the two biggest differences you will notice are a) the level of your opponents' aggressiveness, and B) your own leaks become more costly, and thus more pronounced.So based on all of that, here's a suggestion for you to do with what you will: Stay at .50/1 until you have 10k hands in. If you're beating .50/1 at the end of that time, REGARDLESS of how MUCH you're beating it for, move up to 1/2. Get 10k hands in at 1/2, then move up to 2/4 as long as your beating 1/2 and have at least 300 BB for 2/4 (again, regardless of your win rate). The reason I frame it out this way is because of all the things you mention. At least this way, you'll be progressing, and not feel like you're spinning your wheels with no end in sight.All the best.

This probably doesn't apply to your post, so sorry actuary, but....If you want to play over your poker bankroll, play live 5/10, that's about the equivalent of online .50/1, imo. (as far as skill of opponents)

seems liek the relvant argument is whether or not 2/4 players will be tougher competition, and if so....fine...can I learn more by playing at that level.GamblingLeaf: I do appreciate the thought u put into your post. The point of my question is not BR maangement, but instead...How to best prepare to paly at 2/4 or higher.

Wow you guys are making it seem like there's some great quality play at any of these lower limits. You can probably get by playing a simple game up to 10/20, maybe even 15/30. Most players are losing players, the ones that play higher simply have a fatter wallet and more money they're willing to play poker with.If you feel like playing 2/4, go right for it. I don't know much about the quality of play at this level, but I can't imagine it being too hard.
The better players in each limit as you go up are better than the best players at the previous level. Once you hit 5-10 the better players are going to be very good. If you think you are going to beat 5-10 and higher consistently w/ a "simple game" you are probably going to be dissapointed. 15/30 is filled with working pros by the way, any basic skilled noob is going to get murdered in a tough 15-30 game.What is the definition of "get by", are you saying small winner? Small winner isn't going to grow your bankroll and enable you to move up.A Keep It Simple Stupid gameplan will slowly beat any 2-4 game in long term though.

There is almost no skill difference between 2/4 and 0.5/1 on Party, other than the fact one is mostly populated by unemployed idiots and the other is populated by idiots with jobs. Online 2/4 is way more aggressive than live 2/4 though, which is an adjustment I had to make.

The better players in each limit as you go up are better than the best players at the previous level. Once you hit 5-10 the better players are going to be very good. If you think you are going to beat 5-10 and higher consistently w/ a "simple game" you are probably going to be dissapointed. 15/30 is filled with working pros by the way, any basic skilled noob is going to get murdered in a tough 15-30 game.What is the definition of "get by", are you saying small winner? Small winner isn't going to grow your bankroll and enable you to move up.A Keep It Simple Stupid gameplan will slowly beat any 2-4 game in long term though.
Well I don't know I started off playing 10/20 live as a beginner and I played 5/10 online when I started playing online and I found it simple. I think 5/10 is fairly simple and find 10/20 to be about the same, the only difference is the play is a little more aggressive, but you still run into the same donkeys playing any 2 suited cards. You may also have to depend on your reads a little more as opposed to just using good starting hand selection. I think you can still beat a 5/10 game playing ABC poker for the most part though. There's also tons of soft 15/30 games around, game selection is part of being a good player. Why would you pick games that you are not the favorite in?
The play at 2/4 on party is f'ing terrible. I'm assuming it's the same most places.
It's better on Stars than on Party, if percentage of people seeing the flop and average pot size is any indicator. I can usually only find one or two juicy 2/4 table on Stars. I can always find 4+ on Party, without even looking too hard.Actuary, since I made the jump to 2/4, my playing style has changed a bit. I play looser in late position and middle position than I used to one month ago, and tighter in early position. But that may be a function of switching from primarily playing on Stars to playing on Party, and finding juicy tables everywhere. The number of times people have told me that I'm going to "lose all my money playing that garbage" as I scoop a huge pot has increased dramatically. I don't actually play garbage (usually), but I have added a lot marginal starting hands to my arsenal.Things probably change more dramatically as you move into 5/10 and higher (online). I suspect that a late-loose preflop style will get spanked hard at higher limits, as solid players in the SB and BB are more apt to raise/reraise against known loose players.

The only important lesson playing poker in the lower limits is patience. Once you kind of get that down, you're pretty safe to play at 2/4 with limited knowledge at poker [such as raise instead of calling, betting your draws, raising your draws]. This is assuming that you play according to the Sklansky chart. If you do not know who Sklansky is by now, find out.