playing hours, not results

Lately, I've found that one of the biggest leaks in my game has little to do with the hands I'm playing, but with my inability to play hours instead of results.I've found myself making more and more "hit and run" sessions, where I'll double up at an NL table or hit a few big hands in a limit game, and call it a session. I know that this is a terrible way to be playing poker, because eventually I'll come across one downswing that won't stop, and as a result I'll be playing more during poor hours and less during optimal hours when I'm winning.I'm searching for help to what I fear could become a major problem for me as a poker player. I'm posting this in strategy, because I think it's definitely a strategic error, and I know I'll get more serious responses.Does anyone else struggle similarly? Playing shorter hours when you're ahead and longer when you're behind, and what do you do to reverse this.I've considered setting up an exact routine that I'll force myself to follow, i.e. 8 hours of short-handed limit on Mondays and Wednesdays, 8 hours of full ring No limit on Tuesdays, etc.

barry greenstein talks a lot about this in his new bookI am the complete opposite, I can't pull myself away from the computer when I am having a winning session.Basically, when I am running well my confidence is sky high and that has a direct impact on my decision making. The higher my confidence the more optimally I play. When I am having a losing session I'm sure I am thrown off my game and make worse decisions.Do what BG says, play for a big score, don't play like a wuss trying to protect a small win.

If you've been having a bad run, playing for a small score can be helpful for your confidence.Kappa, I actually play somewhat similarly...which is frustrating. If I net $100-$200 in an hour, I usually quit the session happy. If I'm losing, I can sometimes unhappily grind for 8+ hours.

Oh yeah...definitely play the table...The problem is that I'll lose a buy-in to a donkey and sit there knowing that I can get it back if he'll hang around for a while.

The main reason is you do not have the correct psychology make-up to play poker at a high level. In order to make a big score, your value for money has to be (almost) non-existent at the table. This doesn't mean that money shouldn't mean anything to you. It means that money shouldn't be the reason why you won't make a risky or correc poker decision.Most of us usually lessen our aggression once we win a buy-in or two because we are satisfied. Thus, we just want to leave before a bad beat hits us. The only recommendation is I can give you is set aside for the amount of money you can lose without it bothering you too much and forces yourself to stay at the juicy games while ahead to win more than 1 buy-ins. Once you pass this mental block, it'll be easy to develop that kind of courage. It's similar to making your first bluff :wink:

Lately, I've found that one of the biggest leaks in my game has little to do with the hands I'm playing, but with my inability to play hours instead of results.I've found myself making more and more "hit and run" sessions, where I'll double up at an NL table or hit a few big hands in a limit game, and call it a session.  I know that this is a terrible way to be playing poker, because eventually I'll come across one downswing that won't stop, and as a result I'll be playing more during poor hours and less during optimal hours when I'm winning.I'm searching for help to what I fear could become a major problem for me as a poker player.  I'm posting this in strategy, because I think it's definitely a strategic error, and I know I'll get more serious responses.Does anyone else struggle similarly?  Playing shorter hours when you're ahead and longer when you're behind, and what do you do to reverse this.I've considered setting up an exact routine that I'll force myself to follow, i.e. 8 hours of short-handed limit on Mondays and Wednesdays, 8 hours of full ring No limit on Tuesdays, etc.
I dont think you really have to break it down to what games you play on what days, but rather just make a schedule for time. If youre really having a problem, like chasing your losses, just play for 2 3 5 hours a day, whatever you have time for. If youre up, good, if youre down, try again tomorrow.I go by feeling. Last night i was playing well and was up around 25BB in limit. I started to get tired so I quit, knowing it could hurt me to continue to play. Other times im down, but felt fine and was playing well, so I continued. Do whatever works for you. I would suggest only playing a few hours everyday, from say 8-11 or whatever. If anything it will teach you to quit when down, which is something people stuggle with.

This sounds cliche, but I really try to stay as long as the table is good, and I feel good. I have a really bad tendency to get mad when I lose and start playing badly, so I've started to get up from the game for an extended period of time if I'm losing and pissed. Sometimes, it's different. I was propping the other day, and I was just taking a beating by this retard heads up. I lost my 500 buy in, and he had over a grand at the table. So, instead of leaving, I matched what he had on the table and proceeded to take 800 of of him. It really shouldn't have anything to do with how much you're up or down, unless that fact has a tendency to alter your play. If the table conditions are optimal, just keep playing.

didnt read all that was written but heres my take...last night i planned to play for 2 hours..well after 2 i was down about 25 BB but i was playing good just taking bad beats and felt that i could outplay the fishys at my table...so i played for another 2 hrs and proceeded to win all my money back plus some...Hours are good but make sure u know how u feel...how ur table is and whether you think you can continue to play well

I can only play on Saturdays at my local B&M, due to other things going on in my life. So when I do play, it's usally anywhere from a 12 to 14 hour session. I go through the whole gambit of being fully awake, to dragging to dead tired and back again. And with my mainly tight/agg style, there's alot of folding and downtime to deal with. Maybe I should go for shorter sessions....... :think:

Not trying to be rude...just trying to be helpful...Main Entry: gam·bit Pronunciation: 'gam-b&tFunction: noun1 : a chess opening in which a player risks one or more pawns or a minor piece to gain an advantage in position2 a (1) : a remark intended to start a conversation or make a telling point (2) : TOPIC b : a calculated move : STRATAGEMMain Entry: gam·ut Pronunciation: 'ga-m&tFunction: noun1 : the whole series of recognized musical notes2 : an entire range or series <ran the gamut from praise to contempt>

Go with the routine. As long as you're making the right decisions, it's all big number theory. If you can beat the game, it's like playing blackjack or roulette. Except that you're the house. Over time, the underlying math will kick in. That's all that matters.Of course, you'd like to play longer when your edge is greater. You still want to be the house, but you'd rather have roulette odds than blackjack odds. If you're at a table you really have locked in and are rolling through, get what you can while it's there. If you feel like you're not the house anymore, get out.