goaltender reviews: canadian teams

Montreal CanadiensStarter - Jose TheodoreBackup - Cristobal HuetJose Theodore showed signs of regaining his Hart Trophy winning form in 2003-04. He is still an unsigned restricted free agent and rumours of a Jose Theodore/Roberto Luongo trade have been making the rounds. Luongo is also an unsigned restricted free agent and has been taken to arbitration by the Florida Panthers. The Canadiens can't go wrong with either Theodore or Luongo in net. Huet is an excellent backup that will be a quality starter in a couple of years.Calgary FlamesStarter - Mika KiprusoffBackup -Phillipe SauveKiprusoff was absolutely brilliant in 2003-04. The only question is if he can perform over a full season. If s0, he will be a definite contender for the Vezina. Sauve (acquired from Colorado) is a quality backup.Toronto Maple LeafsStarter - Ed BelfourBackup - Mikael TellqvistEd Belfour is too old and injury prone! We've been saying it for a few years now; we will be right one day. Belfour is an excellent goalie and continues to produce excellent numbers. Tellqvist is an adequate backup, that the Leafs hope they don't have to use very much. The Leafs need a healthy Belfour!Vancouver CanucksStarter - Dan CloutierBackup - Alex AuldI am not a Dan Cloutier fan, but despite the odd bad stretch here and there, he seems to get the job done. Auld has a carrer GAA of 1.82 (albeit in only 14 games), so I get the feeling he is just waiting to jump in and prove himself should Cloutier go down.Ottawa SenatorsStarter - Dominik HasekBackup - Ray EmeryHasek is a wild card! If he can stay healthy, he can dominate! That's a big if and the Sens may be in trouble if he gets injured.Edmonton OilersStarter - Ty ConklinBackup -Jussi MarkkanenGoaltending is Edmonton's biggest question mark. They may be in the market for a goalie should their young and inexperienced tandem of Conklin and Markkanen fail. Would they bring back Cujo? Can they afford to bring back Cujo? Can Pronger strap on the pads? Stay tuned.

I don't think Ottawa will be in trouble even if Hasek gets injured. Emery is a good young goalie who is their goalie of the future, thats why they didn't try to resign Prusek. Obviously with an old goalie and a young and inexperienced one things can turn ugly but I don't think they will.

I really like these threads. Vancouver - All of Vancouver is hoping Auld can be the man. He has had a few awesome games for us. He apperently struggled in the minors this year (he lost his starting job), but some goalies perform better at the NHL level. I know that sounds similar to people saying they can't beat a 2-4 game so they are moving up to a 10-20 game, but Vancouver fans are desperate for Auld to be great. Cloutier is a solid starter.Montrael - Theodore is one of the few goalies I would consider not trading for Luongo.Edmonton - Both goalies are wildcards to me. I can see either one fialing or thriving. Both will be better than Salo was near the end.Calgary - Mika Kiprusoff has shown no signs of letting off (he was a force at the World Cup). Calgary better hope he doesn't, just ask Anaheim how their season will go if he does.Toronto - Spot on analysis.Ottawa - I didn't mind getting Hasek, but why not keep Emery and Prusek as insurance?

I would just add/change a few things:1. I love Cloutier. He gets the job done because his technically very sound, has great movement, and plays bigger than his real size. He will consistently be in the top 5 or 6 save percentages in the league if he gets the ice time to stay sharp.2. Don't discount Ray Emery as a very capable backup to Hasek. Ray spent years with the same coach as Cloutier (Ian Clark) and carries the work ethic he instills in his goalies. He will need some adjusting to the NHL game, but has the potential to be around for a long time.3. Belfour's style evolves from year to year, and he gets better year after year. (Though, with the exception of the cough medicine game, gave us the brilliant Belfour/Brodeur Finals that I dont think he can match.) Age will set in eventually, but I'd wait to see some evidence of it before I predicted it was imminent.4. Hasek...well...my poker screen name (except where it was ripped off!) is TheDominator...'nuff said.

I would just add/change a few things:1. I love Cloutier. He gets the job done because his technically very sound, has great movement, and plays bigger than his real size. He will consistently be in the top 5 or 6 save percentages in the league if he gets the ice time to stay sharp.
lol.. I'm guessing you are from Vancouver. Maybe top 5 in wins but certainly not save percentage. His best season was last year and going by save percentage he barely made the top 20 in the league and he played 60+ games...

I'm from NJ via Montreal, and have no connection to Vancouver, other than through goalie coaching. Giving DC up was just one of the biggest of the many mistakes the Rangers front office has made in the last few years.I said he WILL be in the top 5 or 6 in SP, not has been. He has spent the last year and half training intensively and will be one of if not the best conditioned goalie in the league. His movement is much more precise, particularly his recovery movement. His coach's typical regimen doesn't allow him off the ice until he's performed a movement 800-1200 times. You'll be surprised how much quicker he's gotten.While he was in the lower teens in SP in 2003-2004, that was with a .914, .920...a statistically insignificant difference...would have been top 10 or close. The only goalies who clearly outperformed him in 2003-2004 were the top 3 Kiprusoff, Luongo and Roloson, and the latter may well have been a product of the Minnesota defense..I didn't watch them enough to know for sure.

• 4 years later...
Montreal CanadiensStarter - Jose TheodoreBackup - Cristobal HuetJose Theodore showed signs of regaining his Hart Trophy winning form in 2003-04. He is still an unsigned restricted free agent and rumours of a Jose Theodore/Roberto Luongo trade have been making the rounds. Luongo is also an unsigned restricted free agent and has been taken to arbitration by the Florida Panthers. The Canadiens can't go wrong with either Theodore or Luongo in net. Huet is an excellent backup that will be a quality starter in a couple of years.Calgary FlamesStarter - Mika KiprusoffBackup -Phillipe SauveKiprusoff was absolutely brilliant in 2003-04. The only question is if he can perform over a full season. If s0, he will be a definite contender for the Vezina. Sauve (acquired from Colorado) is a quality backup.Toronto Maple LeafsStarter - Ed BelfourBackup - Mikael TellqvistEd Belfour is too old and injury prone! We've been saying it for a few years now; we will be right one day. Belfour is an excellent goalie and continues to produce excellent numbers. Tellqvist is an adequate backup, that the Leafs hope they don't have to use very much. The Leafs need a healthy Belfour!Vancouver CanucksStarter - Dan CloutierBackup - Alex AuldI am not a Dan Cloutier fan, but despite the odd bad stretch here and there, he seems to get the job done. Auld has a carrer GAA of 1.82 (albeit in only 14 games), so I get the feeling he is just waiting to jump in and prove himself should Cloutier go down.Ottawa SenatorsStarter - Dominik HasekBackup - Ray EmeryHasek is a wild card! <span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'>If</span> he can stay healthy, he can dominate! That's a big if and the Sens may be in trouble if he gets injured.Edmonton OilersStarter - Ty ConklinBackup -Jussi MarkkanenGoaltending is Edmonton's biggest question mark. They may be in the market for a goalie should their young and inexperienced tandem of Conklin and Markkanen fail. Would they bring back Cujo? Can they afford to bring back Cujo? Can Pronger strap on the pads? Stay tuned.
only Kiprusoff left
I don't remember this thread at all.
its fun what you can find with a little searching.. :club: